project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2007-07-20, 00:08   #121
SethLive!
Supporting Member

I think a semi-good solution to this problem would be to greatly increase the recovery time on all of the weapons, so your aim would have to settle in when you stopped moving

Someone please tell me that the above is irony.
Or I'll rip my own eyes out with a sardine.
-[R-Mod] Masaq
SethLive! is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 00:09   #122
VipersGhost

lol I know...when I heard Spearhead came onto PR I was sending him PM's like he was my Girlfriend or something. "Awesome to have you hear dude...blah blah blah"...thank goodness he never responded.
VipersGhost is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 00:19   #123
Rico11b

[quote=VipersGhost]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rico11b
Funny how you said it would take 3 to 4 shots to down a deer, but you expect to hit on the first round while playing PR. Also the DEER aren't shooting back Sorry but I've never seen BAMBI with an UZI.
QUOTE]

I didn't say I exect to hit on the first shot..or did I? Shit it takes me a few for sure, sometimes you get a lucky hit but hey. Another thing, a bounding deer is seriously fast and leaping aruond like peppe le pew from Loony Tunes...if I can kill a deer doing that, I should definitely be able to hit a guy with 40 lbs of gear on thats running in a straight line.

You guys are passionate about the issue and thats fine but there just isn't a good solution out there to get what you want ATM. Sure the MOA could be added in, I was one of the biggest advocates of that to begin with...still I dont think it'd make that much of a difference. We need weapon sway, but not the faked kind. We need a lot of things.

Being that this is a game, I want to be a DAMN good soldier who is a freakin awesome shot, tough as nails, can fire any weapon, never gets jammed, and can easily drive that tank if I have the right suit on. Why would you want to be average? Shit I bet I could shoot someone in the head at 200yds with the AR-15 scoped...as long as I had a rest. I definitely want to be able to do that in-game.

You know what I do think would be a good compromise to this...zero the guns at 200yds. This would limit some rediculous shots I think, plus I really really like having to adjust for bullet drop...the kill is just so much more satisfying.

Also, when I'm standing or croutched....I'm pretty sure I'm no where near as accurate as if I was prone. Like I would bead down on a guy whilst standing...take a shot..it would miss. And I was DEAD on him...yet when I shoot the same shot as prone it hits(he didn't move and I'm not basing this on blood spurt...only the dust puff of my missing shot). I think there is some deviation in there based on stance. I know everyone, maybe even the devs say its not...but I'm pretty sure there is something in there cause I have definitely noticed it on quite a few occasions. Maybe I'll try some more from standing and test it out.
lol. If MOA could be modeled properly, I think you would see a difference in the markmenship of the players in PR. Also if the bullet velocity could be lowered somewhat it may add more bullet drop and that to would change things. Then it would take some "skill" to figure out the hold over needed to hit a distant target. If the weapons cone of fire were more inline with it's real life minute of angle, in addtion to bullet drop that would also make it harder for a cheater with an aimbot to get easy kills. Cause even with an aimbot the shooter wouldn't have complete laserbeam accuracy. Then when you got popped in the head at 300+ meters, you could respect it more cause you know that guy knows what the hell he is doing. Instead of point and click uberness. Also when you are being fired at and the rounds are passing very near you, your aim should be affected as well. That may help with to make suppressive fire more effective ingame. If they don't respect suppressive fire this is what will happen.

Here is something that happened last night. I'm on the SAW in the prone laying down HEAVY fire, and I do mean HEAVY fire. Through a hole in the stone wall. I just killed at least 4 grunts trying to rush thru, and I know 2 more are right outside. You with me so far? Then WHILE I am firing from about 60 meters away through that big hole in the wall, some guys sprints through does a nice jump into the air dive to instaprone and headshots me while my finger is still on the trigger firing right at him and the hole in the wall. See he ran right at me, he didn't get through the wall and turn he came right at me. My client side showed at least 4 puffs of blood. That should never have happened. Oh and I had a ping of 16 to 18. Most everyone on the server at that time had low pings as well. First of all, he was a fool for trying it, and second I was hitting him before he ever made his crazy dive thru the air to one shot me in the head manuever. But I guess I was the real fool, cause he got away with it and the server didn't reward me with the kill that should have been mine.

That uber aiming instaprone accuracy can't happen if the weapon ballistics are accurately modeled ingame. Oh sure it can happen but but only once in a blue moon. And when it does it should be due to a very lucky fluke. It shouldn't be the kind of thing that guys are more than willing to try cause they know they can get away with it. The fool that tries to rush a machine gun should get owned the majority of the time, but he doesn't. Why is that? That kind of stuff happens way to often in game.

Sorry, I'll shut up now.
Last edited by Rico11b; 2007-07-20 at 00:30..
Old 2007-07-20, 01:23   #124
causticbeat

Erm. Especially with the increased engagement ranges in the recent/upcoming versions, its safe to say that weapon range/accuracy/ballistics are being scrutinized to an unprecedented degree. What im getting at is kenwayy and egg know weapons tendoncies/balance alot better than you do.
causticbeat is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 02:59   #125
tekkyy

Is accuracy recovery time hard-coded?
Does "moving the cursor" reduce accuracy at the moment?

But I am all for accurate weapons.
tekkyy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 03:11   #126
Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenie Beanie
Of most weapons? I reckon firefights are over too quickly (even in dug in positions and at range) It would be nice to lower the accuracy of most guns to draw out firefights.
Thoughts?
I find the weopon accuracy nice and the stalking and evading nessesary to gain good position can and does draw out the firefight IMO. Going in straight up the guts is next to instant suicide.
Haze is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 05:49   #127
Harrelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe
PR draw distances and weapon accuracy in .6 are so high that it's dramatically changed the dynamics of fighting, and not necessarily for the better imo.

There's no such thing as a firefight anymore, which was the best part about the game. I remember in .4 and .5 on maps like BiMing where China would own the east side of the bridge city and USA would own the west side; fighting it out just 50m apart that would last 10, 20, 30 minutes or more. In the .6 versions, weapon accuracy is so high and you can see so far that infantry either doesn't get close to flags or they're gunned down in seconds at close range by 1 or 2 soldiers.

The net result is that infantry is killed/pushed off flags within 30 seconds, unlike previous version of PR where, especially in city fights, they could last 30 minutes which I thought was MUCH more fun. The only time flag battles last more than 30 seconds is when someone parks an apc or commander truck nearby and the zerging begins.

Every gun is so hyper-accurate that they perform better than sniper riffles; they shoot just as far, just as accurate, but faster and quieter. Half the guns have scopes which make it even worse. These guns aren't used like this in real life are they? It makes everyone a super human, super accurate sniper who can kill you with 1-3 shots within 2 seconds at any distance or movement with any gun.

It's to the point where a standard issue solder with a standard issue gun can not only target an enemy bunker at 200+ meters, but he can target the 12-inch viewing slit and not just fire at the soldier inside, but realizably target his head. Unless you're a sniper, that should be impossible.

If there is armor on the map, and the flag is out in the open, the capture of the flag is determined by whoever has more tanks. That's a very dull way to play a map.

For those who say "weapon accuracy matches reality", I'm no expert, but it doesn't take one to count the number of head-shot kills during a round (many while you're running full speed) and realize that it's beyond the level of ridiculous. I think some may like it because they can kill better than ever at any range with virtually any weapon, but it's not realistic and it's not good gameplay imo.

My suggestion is to:
  • Slightly lower the accuracy of all weapons
  • Remove scopes from most weapons except sniper riffles
  • Remove the zoom from iron sights when iron sights are used
  • Increase the cone of fire while moving, standing, and the time it takes to decrease the cone of fire while standing still.
  • Introduce new maps specifically designed with PR in mind.
    • More city maps like Ejod but with larger city areas so that tanks cant snipe into them from every direction; force them to enter the city.
    • Remove "bowl" style maps like Oman, Daqing, and Kufrah where flags are too close together and winning is determined by a few tank drivers/gunners.
    • On large maps like kashan, make the flag capture order more logical (instead of slowly traveling clear across the map for each objective which negatively thins out forces too much), reduce the number of central bunker flags from 2 to 1, randomize aircraft/vehicle spawns (so that the enemy doesn't kill the A10 then perfectly time a pass over the airfield 20min later to destroy it 5 seconds after it spawns in the runway)

The effect of this would be:
  • Longer, more intense, realistic exciting fire fights
  • Sniper riffles will now have purpose again
  • Support mg's will be more effective, since it will no longer be possible to zero in on the enmey's mg's sound, step out from behind a rock and head shot him with 1-2 bullets from 150 meters away.
  • More "front line" battles that mirror realistic fights

Anyone who played Forgotten Hope mod for BF1942 remembers they had the same issues; they wanted realism but good gameplay. They settled on mg's being inaccurate at long range; even single shot, and designed maps that forced tanks to have infantry support by designing terrain with plenty of places for infantry to hide and sneak up on a tank to tnt or landmine it.

As infantry, you didn't dare cross that bridge for fear of the mg42 on the other side. Only way to defeat him was a sniper or a mass charge and hope that some guys survived.

i completely agree. atm i dont bother playing infantry maps, they're too arcadey. maps like bi-ming and mestia and (the afghan poppy field map) play like vanilla with enemies coming from all directions and proper confusion. its ridiculous

there were some good maps like falluja where enemies were on one side and you couldn't put a rp in their secure zones because it was protected by hills. the result were superb head-on infantry battles. i think the problem with infantry maps is map design. putting a rp behind secure enemy lines is arcadey and frustrating for the other team
Harrelson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 06:25   #128
tekkyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haze
I find the weopon accuracy nice and the stalking and evading nessesary to gain good position can and does draw out the firefight IMO. Going in straight up the guts is next to instant suicide.
Exactly.
I think those long firefights IRL was not in the open.
Old 2007-07-20, 06:30   #129
Greenie Beanie

Mate even behind sandbags/in bunkers theres no hope most of the time the first shot fired will hit you. And you cant hop on a emplaced SAW and keep em pinned because as soon as u start firing at their positions they drop down n plug you
Greenie Beanie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-07-20, 06:33   #130
tekkyy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrelson
i think the problem with infantry maps is map design. putting a rp behind secure enemy lines is arcadey and frustrating for the other team
I think rally points should be larger, easier to spot and compromise.

Maybe it should show on 3D HUD within x metres.

At the moment its like "lets hide it beind a rock".

I don't think thats the point of rally points.

Tags
accuracy, lower