project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
16 Jul 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-29, 00:41   #121
USMCMIDN
Default Re: AK-47 Accuracy... really?

maybe you can reduce the range of the AK/AKM to 250-300 meters.... after this range the bullet drastically drops.

7.62x39mm Russian

http://www.chuckhawks.com/rifle_trajectory_table.htm this tells mid range for the bullet
Last edited by USMCMIDN; 2009-12-29 at 00:47..
Old 2009-12-29, 15:27   #122
Cpl. Mallard

You know it's funny, the first gun I ever shot was an AK-47, and although like your first car, its supposed to be kinda special in a way (probably just redneck inside me), but I have NEVER fired a weapon I despised more. And I know I know, a lot of people love shooting it cause its the coolest gun ever yada yada yada.

I'm not going to rant, but let it be known the AK is not nearly as accurate as portrayed in the game. The only thing in the game that does justice to the AK is the high recoil, which it posesses, when its round isnt that powerful and its not that light, so i've yet to figure out why the recoil is so bad...
Old 2009-12-30, 05:00   #123
GrimSoldier

Its funny when i can stop sprinting, aim, shoot 3 guys in full auto 100m away, kill them, reload and go on my mary way. That's what happens when i use the AK, if i use the m16 ill stop sprinting, go prone, wait 8 seconds in scope and not move, shoot 2 bursts, die in 2 bullets from an AK from a guy who just stopped sprinting and is standing up.

Needs to be fixed really.
Old 2009-12-30, 15:13   #124
Endymion

Now that i really tried the ak74, i kinda like it beter, i feel it has less spread, and i always use automatic fire anyway in CQC, so i don't mind if it takes a bullet more.
Old 2010-01-01, 22:34   #125
JKJudgeX

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]ReadMenace View Post
While I was gone at work, this thread went from silly to absolutely ridiculous.

Highlights include:
Adrenaline increases fine motor skill function. (Contrary to biology -- but maybe Judge is super human.)
Love effects the function of a firearm.
US, UK and French Made AKs (Granted there is the CIA Centurion 39, and some of Arsenal Inc.'s rifles.)
The Straight-Pull "AK103" with 8x optic hitting the broad side of a TANK at 1000m (How does that pertain to the topic?)
All of this and more!

This aside, I continue to stand by my assertion -- the AK47 in-game is more than adequately represented.
There are a wide variety of people on the DEV team, including various Active/Reserve/Ex-Military personnel, and more than one avid shooter. Maybe all of their combined knowledge and experience has come together to in attempts to accurately represent a wide variety small arms in regards to reality and game-play -- or maybe we should consider a love-meter, decreased deviation during suppression and 2moa AKs.

-REad
Or maybe we could extend a response with a bunch of ridiculous hyperbole.

The AK-47 and the 7.62 round is OBVIOUSLY something you've never once fired in your life, yet you reply as though you have some kind of knowledge on the subject. Anyone who has fired both rounds represented in PR can tell you that the differences between the two are highly exaggerated in the game's current state.

Anyone who tells you differently exposes themselves not to have experience with both rounds. Nobody is saying that the 7.62 is as accurate as the 5.56, the contention is simply that PR multiplies it by a factor that no amount of "adrenaline induced inaccuracy" would invoke while not equally harming the lighter round.

People who try to ascribe this amount of accuracy to the 5.56 sound like the same people who talk about samurai swords chopping down trees. The measure by which the 5.56 is more accurate than the 7.62x39 would not be expressed as frequently and as powerfully as it is in PR.

look at the table that was posted above: Rifle Trajectory Table

It's a 2.5 inch difference at 100 yards between the two rounds. You can't just say "adrenaline multiplies this" because MoA is calculated as Shooter MoA + Rifle MoA, not multiplied. If you give the shooters equal MoA, the difference stays the same.

If you are giving a huge bonus to the USMC shooter MoA against the Taliban, the game is just expressing a lopsided world-view, without actually collating any data (unless there's a Taliban or other Insurgent faction accuracy test that's been published to compare against average USMC shooters).

Go to youtube. Type AK-47 at 100 yards. Watch people shoot skeet clays resting at 100 yards. Is your head smaller than a skeet clay? Okay. How much are we saying that the "adrenaline" adds to the end MoA? 6 inches? 7 MoA vs. 10 MoA isn't that big of a difference at 100 yards.

Anyway, there's data and audio-visual evidence galore that talk about the difference between these two rounds being a "few inches" at 100-200 yards. The game is clearly not representing that. There ya have it.
Old 2010-01-01, 22:48   #126
ReadMenace

Might you read this and consider using the 'Edit' function on your previous post.

-REad
Old 2010-01-01, 22:54   #127
OkitaMakoto
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

This thread began prior to even .87 itself, and its posting was a result of merely reading the changelog, not even playing the latest version which we are currently playing.

Then it was revived near the end of .87 play to bring up more posting and banter.

Now its just an argument of facts and fairy tales and everything in between.

If the point of a thread being posted is to bring up information for DEV discussion, then Id say that this thread has said its piece. Its now 13 pages long and the "facts" vary from one side of the spectrum to another. Really, all this can be attributed to is preference or opinion on a rifle. The way I, and surely others, must see this, is that with so much contention between both sides, it must be pretty dang close to the middle line to have both supporters from both sides and contention between them. Too accurate? Not accurate enough? Agree? Disagree?

Let's give it a rest and wait and see what .9 has to offer. Because right now, all it really is is attacking one post with another waiting to be attacked or simply stating personal opinion.

Not sure who all hasnt seen this, so take a look if you haven't

So just know there are things being worked on on all areas of Project Reality. We went a release or two with lazer beams for weapons, we went a release with some of the most ridiculous deviation known to man. ALL of these were done with a balance or realism and gameplay in mind. Thanks for the discussion, as its things like this that help us continue to make improvements to a constantly evolving Mod.

Locked because its half trolling, half insulting, half a versus thread... and all 3 halves added up to one long over due lock
Last edited by OkitaMakoto; 2010-01-01 at 23:10..
Closed Thread

Tags
accuracy, ak47