project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2011-03-18, 14:33   #121
ChiefRyza
Default Re: [Map] Congo Insurgency (2km) [WIP]

The Caches won't be hidden in the middle of the jungle, rather, areas of interest ranging from abandoned silos/bunkers, military bases, supply bases, trench systems, abandoned villages, cavern systems and a large radar-research facility (I know, why is there a facility in the middle of the jungle - but it adds an interesting area to fight over). These are dotted throughout the map and will be the areas to defend. There will never really be defending a random patch of jungle but setting up a perimeter around these areas which will be difficult. There will in all be about 15-20 possible cache areas, these will then have 10 or so possible positions each (in different parts of the same building or in other buildings etc).

The jungle acts as the terrain in-between these caches. Unlike maps like Kokan or Fallujah where there are open areas which make optics and vehicles extremely powerful, this map provides cover all over the map while being extremely difficult to traverse in a linear manner.

The jungle is done, now I am working on the creeks, roads, bases and tons of other areas that the caches themselves will be based in. It's coming along nicely, I'm really happy with how everything is pulling together. Expect a big update by the end of the month, when hopefully I will be able to start lightmapping everything.

Unfortunately for the big town, I've had to replace it with something else because I don't have the statics for it. Although I'm learning the ropes in max, for now I want to get the map out there as soon as possible.
ChiefRyza is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 17:06   #122
Tonnie
Retired PR Developer

WHERE ARE YOU!!!!! why are you not at the lan night :P

HangMan: BF2 Editor, it has very strict limitations memory wise, and crashes all the time. Its like a girl. Treat it with respect and take it slow and you'll get places. Rush and get ahead of yourself and it will turn around and punch you in the mouth
Tonnie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-18, 21:55   #123
ChiefRyza

Finished work at midnight mate and starting again in half an hour
ChiefRyza is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 15:28   #124
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

If you are still accepting name suggestions, i have just stepped over this:

Congo Red

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-19, 16:26   #125
VapoMan
Retired PR Developer

You could have a clearing out in the jungle somewhere for some illegal logging.

The ambstat_mist effect could be used in some lower areas to make this sort of effect (but on a smaller scale):

"Eight glorious sides and eight stunning angles!"
VapoMan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 07:13   #126
LITOralis.nMd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I'm not sure about a radar research facility in a region that's been under constant warfare for the last 40 years.
Nor about the use of armor by rebels.

That being said, I know a retired bush pilot who flew in Africa, you should check out landing and approach videos on Youtube for Walikale, Congo airstrip.

It's in the war zone you are modelling, the areas around the main paved highways are actually quite built up, and they use mostly very bright paints with neutral to white tones....

Also note that every airstrip in that area of the congo has a trade outpost and village attached to it. OR the airstrip is not really an airstrip, it's part of a blacktop road.... which might be a good idea for your map
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdN13gnDqyw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MW5F7xGmx8

Here's a National Geographic Online Special with video that reports on that area and the bush pilots:
The Molecule -- National Geographic - Congo Pilots - Walikale

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co.../3818/Overview

As for a name, the two battles for Rwindi could give you a good starting point to find a local name for the Map name.

Last edited by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd; 2011-03-29 at 07:29..
Old 2011-03-29, 10:52   #127
ChiefRyza

Just so you know, I'm not going for hyper-realism on this map. I am making each cache location as unique and interesting as possible - to focus on realism in an area with nothing but scattered villages will be very boring, even if jungle isn't something that's been seen on PR before. The terrain is too rugged for large villages, so I am aiming to make a remote region that I have at least somewhat creative freedom over.

Many of the areas will be small supply bases and outposts, I don't have the village statics currently and I am so strung for time at the moment it would set the map creation back so damn far you would never see it. I apologize if the end result isn't as realistic as everyone hopes it to be, but I am doing my best with available resources while keeping it fun and mostly believable at the same time.

I may not even keep the name as Congo because it might give everyone the wrong idea in that I am making a map based entirely out of that region, and like always, people will be pissed off because it isn't 100% accurate to that. I am making a jungle map at it's core, and I am spending my time on making it polished and playable, not a carbon copy of a real place. I hope everyone understands that before they get too disappointed
Last edited by ChiefRyza; 2011-03-29 at 10:57..
Old 2011-03-29, 11:17   #128
Psyko

having fog would help with the undergrowth draw distance. i think congo is the only place where this might work as a PR map. close quarters and thermals, would be epic.
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-29, 18:00   #129
arjan

this game shows a nice village layout maybe as inspiration for you that look very congo like I guess
arjan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 23:10   #130
simeon5541

Amazing man !!

Keep it up !!
simeon5541 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
2km, congo, insurgency, map, wip