project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.7 Feedback Forum
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2008-06-13, 22:24   #131
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: What went "wrong" with PR 0.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstone View Post
Yha, I just finished a game of Project reality, something needs to be changed. If you want ultimate reality, either go ahead and prevent the ability to respawn and then make the max players 200 or go join the army. You have as much realism as you want (hell, even the PAIN is REAL!)
Yeah, spending 50% of my PR time walking toward stuff would be realistic: BUT I GOT STUFF TO DO! kbaithnx :P

If we can by some miracle get 128 ppl approx servers then removing the rally points might be a good idea, but until then its the only way to keep the combat constant and feeling like there are more soldiers in the map than there really are.

Prevent respawn works fine on COD4 search and destroy, but COD4 maps load very fast and its team organisation time is approx 0.1seconds

Old 2008-06-15, 15:57   #132
Sabre_tooth_tigger

The rp is the pr equalivant of paratroopers or airborne troops arriving in the area.
Obviously they just magically appear, slightly sucky but the idea of reinforcements arriving in the field isnt completely incorrect so long as the area is secure enough
Old 2008-06-16, 02:00   #133
Alex6714

I guess this sort of explains my feelings on public games right now...

Just came of a few rounds playing pr. I will just go into the last two: The first basically consisted in uber team stacking on kashan. I joined part way through and it was something like 14 experieced guys, most in a clan against 9 randoms. Excellent. Finally got up in the frofoot and things got a little but better. Until landing... Yep, thats right. Mr. Asadil_fallujah baseraping the mec main with an APC. Awesome.

So that round ends, and I join a different server. Al basrah I see, haven't played this properly for a while. Seems ok when I join, but oh no, the rest of the game consists of a brit tank spawnraping palace with all bridges destroyed and 2 squads worth camping the mosque with sniper rifles, support weapons and normal rifles. Fantastic. Not helped that only about 3 people on our team knows that there are caches on the map. This spawnrape continues until the end...

Qwai earlier on. I ended up having a good round forgetting about everyone else and just whoring the lb with bassdrive in the back with a HAT. But, the whole round squads walking around in circles looking at flowers.. One or two people (amoungst them katiewolf would you imagine) being more useful on their own than 6 man squads competeing with snails in speed and intelligence.

What happened to teamwork? It is rare nowadays. It happens, but not very much at team level.

But even more important, and in my opinion the saddest thing of all. What happens to player respect and consideration? In pr now it seems it is all every man/squad/clan to themselves. Its alright for the 2 friends in tank, but what about the 20 players being spawnraped? Of course, we all play pr to have fun for ourselves, but at least a little maturity and respect towards fellow players would be nice...

I am not really criticising pr, although there are something I dislike, but the players. In my opinion, I couldn't care less if over half of them disappeared leaving only a few behind, the best players of which I highly respect and enjoy playing with. What it is basically coming down to is me realising that its not worth trying to play the way I used to, but instead doing what the heck I want with me fellow players within what I still consider morally correct, which for me will always be there. That won't change.
Old 2008-06-16, 08:00   #134
Harrod200

I think a lot of the recent surge in dodgy players is down to the school holidays; large numbers of immature players appearing and wanting to play like vanilla.

I do, however, definitely find .7 a lot less fun than .5 (never played .6). I seem to be spending a far greater proportion of my time running across half of the map to get back to battle and a lot less time actually fighting. If I wanted to spend the whole game running, I'd play a marathon simulator.

The best moments I've had in .7 have been attacking/defending a flag where the map allows an RP to be placed very close, but also safely, allowing me to die, then get back in there. SL spawns, I can't deny I want back, but with restrictions (only when SL has Ofcr kit, only allowed a certain number between SL deaths, whatever).

Currently, I think armour (light and heavy) is fine, and works well. Infantry though, is simply annoying; as above, you spend the majority of your time running only to get shot in the head by someone who doesn't seem to be affected by the supression. Oh, and I HATE the supression. With a passion. I can count on one hand the number of kills I've gotten while supressed, while I'd have to use my wall as a tally to count the number of times I've been killed by the person I'm shooting at and supressing. 'Realistic' it may be, but it's ANNOYING.

In .5, I was *Infantry*. It was my favourite type of gameplay, and was overall fun. Now, I spend the vast majority of my time as Commander ('Cos nobody else will), or getting into a vehicle. I have come to hate the 16-size maps for the supression and flag-chasing, instead finding myself longing for huge, armour-filled maps, because at least in an armour-armour battle, it's interesting. Two infantry shooting each other while supressed mostly turns into a matter of luck whoever gets the kill, tanks have differences and must use their attributes to their advantage.

IMO, the balance of Reality:Gameplay has been tipped a little too far to the left in regards to infantry.
Old 2008-06-16, 17:22   #135
Threedroogs
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartantyco View Post
-PR has improved with every release for me. If you think teamwork has decreased, then it's your fault for not working as a team. Half the time I see 3+ squads mindlessly roaming the map with no RP and ignoring every Firebase/Bunker that's placed; that's why you have to walk so much, not because the boring APC/SL spawn is gone. When I'm SL I keep my squad together, it's really not that hard. I place RPs all the time and I get those FBs/Bunkers up. And I defend the CPs/Bunkers/FBs so that the enemy can't get in and blow them/cap them. And as a CO I get those FBs/Bunkers up if it means losing my voice yelling at SLs, driving across the map to place the things myself, mowing down tangos on the way. By Thor, those FBs/Bunkers will be built!

-You! You there, whining about the lack of spawns, you're the problem. You're the problem because as CO you don't get those FBs/Bunkers up and you don't get the squads to build them, because as SL you don't build the FBs/Bunkers and you don't place RPs, and because as a SM you don't remind your SL to place RPs or you're not around when the SL wants to place a RP and you don't help build FBs/Bunkers because you think you're 1337 sniper skillz would benefit your team more. You're the problem, you always have been and you always will be.

-The 0.75 teamwork experience has been the best so far; everything is far more valuable, the loss of spawns hurts you much more now, and FBs, Bunkers and RPs are vital to the game now, something they were not before. 70% of my SL experiences with .75 are positive, 50% of my CO experiences are positive(A position that is actually important in the game now), 50% of my SM experiences are positive. There's still some ground to cover but it's only because of people who either aren't used to PR or people who aren't used to people who facilitate teamwork. During this last month I've been exposed to more competent SLs and COs, growing at an exponential rate. Teamwork is vital in .75 and people are starting to understand that. The vBF2 people who want to have 300 spawn locations, each one diluting the overall importance of spawn points in general, either get it or get out. Welcome or good riddance. You having to walk from the main is punishment for your SLs, your COs, and/or your own failure(Or epic skill of the enemy ) to place RPs and build FBs/Bunkers, for your reckless abuse of vehicles, driving where you want to go and ditching it there, for your inability to follow orders. Yes, you're still the problem.
QFT!

my experience with .75 has been really positive. i havent had to kick nearly as many people out of my squad as i used to. most people seem willing to follow orders and stick together. it's not *that* hard to keep your squad together. just dont drop your RP 150m from the flag. keep your RPs 300 meters away from the action so it can survive! good riddance to the SL spawn.

Ingame name: StrkTm Pygar

Eggyweggs...I would like to smash 'em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3-E3xuQtqI
Old 2008-06-16, 19:52   #136
Waaah_Wah
Banned

^^200m is more than enough
Old 2008-07-07, 16:12   #137
drs79
Supporting Member

I really don't feel anything went "wrong" with .7, yes al basrah and Archer have experienced some difficulties, but nothing is "wrong". Remember this is a free mod, developed by military/public persons who are taking time out of their busy days to create a new type of FPS multiplaying war experience, that is playing on a 64 player level. Things will be tweaked and what not, but nothing is wrong with .7, if you honestly feel something is wrong then maybe you are not playing as a member of a team...Keep up the great work mods and devs, PR only is getting better!!!
Old 2008-07-08, 06:32   #138
Gore
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Speaking of fun, you only get the fun you make yourself.
PR is great, always has.
If I want fun, I know how to.
You can always have fun, making it realistic is up to the game, and it's going well.
In real life nothing is fun in war, if you need fun, stop for a sec and have some.

Old 2008-07-08, 10:03   #139
Silvarius2000

For me nothing went wrong with PR 0.7 IMHO I think whats great about 0.7 onwards is the ability to be inconvenienced greatly by an opponents success AKA whacking your RP's and FB's.

Most games nowadays rarely give negative rewards to players for subpar performance and instead pats them on the head and gives them a try again through quick respawn and maybe a head start advantage.

PR however makes it PAINFUL to lose those assets making it more important for teams to guard those assets.

What I see here I suspect are two different expectations people have out of PR.

People who come in for fun and a game with buddies
People who come in for an authentic experience

PR obviously IS the best caterer for the 2nd option and if people are complaining that the game has lost its fun and it really shouldnt be real to the point of inconvenience are not looking in the same direction of the DEVs.

Tags
wrong