project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.87 Feedback Forum
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

View Poll Results: Should squad named assets have advantage over others?
Yes 288 59.14%
No 143 29.36%
Not sure 56 11.50%
Voters: 487. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2009-12-29, 13:45   #131
alberto_di_gio
Default Re: Should squad named assets have privilege over others?

I voted "Not Sure" because there lots of different sides of it and it really changes according to situation.

If there is a good coordinated squad who wants to dedicate themselves to Armors ie they should be allowed. It will be for the benefit for all of the team at the end. On the other hand how can you decide that? There are also people around who hides behind that and thinks that creating dedicated squad will make him the king of all.

So I guess unless DEVs find a permanent solution for that and add it into the game this decision should be a server decision instead of community and should be ruled/controlled by the admins.
Old 2009-12-30, 12:28   #132
wookimonsta
Supporting Member

to be honest, having these squads usually sorts out alot of things. No more 10 people waiting for tanks an all of them rushing into it when it spawns.
The only problem is that at 1:30 usually about 6 squads for the most wanted assets are created, and whoever was quickest on the draw gets it. This isn't a problem when its a huey or something that spawns frequently, but when someone who can't really fly grabs the jets on kashan and they only spawn every 20 min, its kinda detrimental.
Guess its up to the admins to weed out the squads that act really badly in that case
Old 2009-12-31, 22:36   #133
Hawkeye92

I voted yes.

I can't see things being any other way. Project Reality stresses teamwork, tactics, strategy, etc. In my opinion the squad system is the main staple of organization. I just cant see three tanks in three seperate squads or Apaches off doing their own thing. Dedicated asset squads are the glue that holds the team together. The communication, organiztion, and leadership a squad can provide is all that makes Project Reality great.

Often times for example, I'll be in a tank squad on Kashan. Generally the squad is at 6/6 and we'll be running three tanks (occassionally 2 tanks and a logi). I'm often running two plans at once. A short term and a long term. My short term might be to overwatch the bunkers from the West after flanking around the north. My long term plan may be to sweep the area between A1, B1 and MEC main. Its awfully difficult to maintain or even fathom long term plans of actions when just anyone can come and grab the assets should something happen.

Now, I am completely open to multiple squads as long as the other squads are dedicated to the asset, not simply bored waiting for another to spawn. If three tanks are out and about and two others are sitting in the main, I don't mind four guys grabbing 'em and rolling out. Unless of course, they are going out, into risky situations with no clear plan just to kill time until the A-10 is back or their Blackhawk spawns.

If you join the game late, tough, wait until next round if your squad is full. If the server has a 1:30 rule, then 95% of the players will have loaded the map in time to claim a squad.
Old 2010-01-15, 08:36   #134
Mutherpucker

Yes yes yes and yes!

Unless you are already, literally in the vehicle, unless you are driving it, get in the right squad or get the hell out of the way!

Some good manner would be that the new squad asset leader would not lock the squad and try to take your place, you still have priority.

Thing is, sometimes, having an heavy asset working directly in a squad is better use of the asset. Supporting troops comes easier when you hear live update..

Then again, you have to think it in advance, name your squad Cavalry if needed, Cavalry is know to work with foot soldiers, so you kinda have immunity for medium&heavy armor assets in that case.

It gives me ideas for an all new post..
Old 2010-01-15, 10:17   #135
[R-COM]bad_nade
Support Technician
Supporting Member

Assets should not be claimable using named squads, because it gives persons with fast computers an unfair advantage over those with slower loading machines when round starts. Anyone can make a squad, but there is much fewer peeps that can make that asset truly count, instead of wasting tickets.

I don't know if this is really possible, but every server should run some kind of kit reservation script that would allow only predefined, named individuals to operate most valuable vehicles and aircrafts. IIRC some vanilla pistol & knife servers kick those who try to jump into vehicles, so this could be doable.
Old 2010-01-15, 10:43   #136
alberto_di_gio

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless_noob View Post
Assets should not be claimable using named squads, because it gives persons with fast computers an unfair advantage over those with slower loading machines when round starts.
Yes but no. Yes it looks like an unfair race between fast and slow computers but on the other hand consider it lie that. If you your computer can't log-in after map loading time + 1.5 minute waiting time till creating squads then it clearly shows you definitely have low settings. Don't wanna a make distinction but personally I would like to have high setting players using armor and choppers in the team. I think it really make a difference.
Old 2010-01-15, 20:09   #137
TheOak82

Quote:
Originally Posted by clueless_noob View Post
I don't know if this is really possible, but every server should run some kind of kit reservation script that would allow only predefined, named individuals to operate most valuable vehicles and aircrafts. IIRC some vanilla pistol & knife servers kick those who try to jump into vehicles, so this could be doable.
That would make the game really, really unattractive to new players, which might mean the mod dies off faster.
Old 2010-01-15, 21:07   #138
Donatello

you mean i cannot drive a tank or APC until end of round if somebody created such a squad?
no
Old 2010-01-15, 21:20   #139
bloodthirsty_viking

My oppinion:
I feel that if you name the squad it, you should get first pick.
As in, i like flying trans helo's, and im good at it. so i make a trans helo squad.
i let as many peaple in that fit, and if someone crashed a chopper on carrier ,i ask what happend, and i usually allow them to stay, but if they crash 2 times on the carrier, or into the ocean next to the carrier 2 times, i kick them, and unlock my squad.
if they join agian, i say- "go join another squad, we need good able-bodied pilots to fly, go practice a bit and next time we meet we can fly together" and i kick them agian.
if they keep comming in i lock the squad for 2 minutes, then i unlock agian.

but at the same time, ive played games where there is a tow sqaud out in the field, and i spawn at main. i see it and i say "tow avalible at main squad ______ "
as im waiting for my squad to regrupe i see guys in the tow squad die, spawn rally, die spawn rally, 10 minutes later, my squad got overrun adn the tow is at main, so my squad take an empty strker and tow, and i get banned from the server becuase an admin was in the tow squad, and 5 minutes after i left main with tow, and killed 1 tank and 2 apc's.. becuase i stole there tow.....

other times there have been no jet squad, and im in a tank squad. i ask to take a jet, the sl has an officer kit, and we have a humvy, a tank on the field, an bradly, and i was in the a-10.
we were working togeather, the tank and apc would take out inf and armor, and if there was something that needed to be cleared first, or taken out by a jet, i would come through and strafe it, but then someone made a jet squad and i was told to join it or be kicked, i joined it, and there was no spotters, and the dude kicked me out of the squad 3 times becuase i was a compitent pilot killing the other team, but his freand wanted to fly.
eventually i was kicked, when i got back in, i told the admin the entire story, and my old squad also reasured the admin, and now both jets were dead...
its a good server, but bad things like that can happen...
also, that server banned 2 liying noobs that day XD

All in all, if its a squad that is well run and using teamwork, sure, let them have the asset if they want it- but only if it helps the team.. and evan if there is an squad about it, let them have 5-10 miunutes to get back to main to get the asset into use, otherwise, i feel its free for the taking.
Old 2010-01-16, 03:15   #140
alexaus

no this rule is horrible

Tags
assets, named, privilege, squad