project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
21 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2010-06-05, 21:26   #141
Peeta
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] Wake Island (4km) [WIP]

I do like

Panem Today,
Panem Tomorrow,
Panem Forever.
Peeta is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 19:36   #142
Dankicity

Updated download again before I head out...

Check editor notes for basically a wish list and a novel-like synopsis or you can just tell yourself there's a carrier just out yonder that f'd up the island first and is hungry for 2nds.

Medium lightmaps (@ kinda funky settings), still has the three bad buildings in it (or I don't know what I'm doing). Water planes are fixed and did as much as I could on getting the terrain back to pre-corruption status. Other than that it's just vehicles, ladders, explosion pits and full lightmap (@ good settings). I have a few other things in there but most are wishful thinking.

Peace to the east. Gonna rest in the west.
Last edited by Dankicity; 2010-06-09 at 20:56..
Old 2010-06-09, 21:50   #143
RedAlertSF

Downloaded the map and explored a little bit.

I'm very impressed. The map is awesome. I love pretty much everything in it.

Have you though about the time of day? Midday and clear blue sky fits well but I think dawn could be an interesting alternative.

The map still lacks detail. Especially the residential area north of US main. Some other urban areas lack detail too. Figure out something, the residential area could use trash cans, cars, signs, benches, anything to make it look more like there's people living there.

The runway looks a bit ugly. Did you paint it in the editor? I think modeled and textured runway could look better. The current paint isn't really realistic looking.

China shouldn't have their starting spawns on the island. I don't like it. But on the other hand, the cargo ship isn't very good idea either. The map really needs a Chinese ship but I guess there's nobody up to model one. Maybe Chinese should have their first spawn on beaches in northern and southern ends of the peninsulas? Along with a few static zodiacs. After capping one flag they could get their repair depot and other stuff on the island.
RedAlertSF is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 21:58   #144
Startrekern

I absolutely disagree with changing the lighting. If it's made to a dawn or sunset coloring, it would be too much like Barracuda. Also, really, the Chinese being on the island is not that farfetched; their base isn't exactly permanent looking at all; it really does not, from what I have read, take very long at all to set up HESCO barriers. If the Chinese had taken a foothold on the Island and the battle was drawn out, they could've set up a base. Just pretend the island is battle-torn and this is the final battle
Startrekern is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-09, 23:06   #145
Dankicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAlertSF View Post
Downloaded the map and explored a little bit.

[1] ... Midday and clear blue sky fits well but I think dawn could be an interesting alternative.

[2]...The map still lacks detail. Especially the residential area north of US main...

[3]...The runway looks a bit ugly.... I think modeled and textured runway could look better.
1. I was going for about a quarter of the dusk/dawn setting of barracuda set upon the current settings. Other things took priority as a dev will probably tweak it in the end anyway.

2. Agreed. Cars, trash and signs are what I was playing with but it looked too crappy to leave as it was. Benches, fences, walls and other non-military things wouldn't be there. It's just simple cheap living quarters. Hell, I can't even find half the stuff I've seen on other maps and never remember the names to look them up.

3. Feel free to start that 6+ part model. I'll get an open-ended ticket back from Cali for when that's done

[edit] The reason that's just not going to happen besides needing someone to model it is that it's just too big and the terrain is not flat. The terrain is about a 3x exaggeration on real life. So I had to slope parts of the runway which I think would make modeling it a nightmare.

I'm still planning on coming back and redoing the colormaps once the rest is done. That will hopefully keep it from distracting the eye... and ditch the really green grass color in certain areas that I touched up in the editor.

Mostly I was getting it ready to play on a server. Once there you can tell which areas are making it too difficult or easy to defend, attack, retreat or reinforce. (aka if I enjoyed wasting my time on a map that's not playable)
Last edited by Dankicity; 2010-06-10 at 08:52..
Old 2010-06-10, 10:00   #146
RedAlertSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startrekern View Post
Also, really, the Chinese being on the island is not that farfetched; their base isn't exactly permanent looking at all; it really does not, from what I have read, take very long at all to set up HESCO barriers. If the Chinese had taken a foothold on the Island and the battle was drawn out, they could've set up a base. Just pretend the island is battle-torn and this is the final battle
Good point. Maybe it's not that bad after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dankicity
The reason that's just not going to happen besides needing someone to model it is that it's just too big and the terrain is not flat. The terrain is about a 3x exaggeration on real life. So I had to slope parts of the runway which I think would make modeling it a nightmare.
Yeah, I know it's hell of a job and maybe impossible. Textured runway would just look amazing.

I think I'll set up the editor and try to increase the view distance. It's around 700m now, isn't it? 1000m would be really nice if fps doesn't drop too much.
Old 2010-06-10, 11:20   #147
sylent/shooter

I see pine trees and coniforous trees in a tropical island scenario...
sylent/shooter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-10, 12:54   #148
RedAlertSF

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylent/shooter View Post
I see pine trees and coniforous trees in a tropical island scenario...
There are palm tress on the map and also in reality. But there aren't just palm trees.

Look at these:
http://www.mcgrathimages.com/Gallery...s/IMG_1302.JPG
http://www.mcgrathimages.com/Gallery...s/IMG_1310.JPG
http://www.mcgrathimages.com/Gallery...s/IMG_1336.JPG

Trees on the map aren't a perfect choice, but they're still the best choice of the tree models in BF2/PR.
Old 2010-06-13, 09:27   #149
Zemciugas

Great looking map, finaly a normal size to, hope this ends up in Pr.
Zemciugas is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 13:42   #150
Scandicci
Supporting Member

Great job so far Dankicity. This would be a fun map. It reminds me a little too of a map that I believe was being developed for the Aus forces. I hope to play this map someday.

__________________________________________________ _________________

If it's worth shooting once, shoot it again.
Scandicci is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, island, map, wake, wip