project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Suggestions Archives
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2007-02-14, 19:08   #11
Jonathan_Archer_nx01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekstizzle
Isn't the AK47 round the same as a big rifle round except it's shorter? In other words, the actual bullet is the same one from a proper rifle round except it doesn't travel as fast because there's less propellant because the case is shorter. Therefore it wouldn't be THAT much weaker than a standard 7.62x51mm round. That's what's actually quite cool about the AK47 round, makes you think why the U.S didn't do the same for 7.62X51 NATO and just make a "short" round for it.
It's not just about the muzzle width (if it would be, 9mm pistol would be the stronger weapon). There are more things to be considered. Important is that 7.62x51mm NATO is much better than Russian 7.62x39.
+ 7.62x51mm NATO itself reaches higher velocities.
+ G3 has longer barrel
+ current Ak-47 is overpowered (something like M4 in 0.4 IMO)

something from WIKI
"However, without fragmentation, the wounding potential of M67 is mostly limited to the small permanent wound channel the bullet itself makes. While a fragmenting round (like the 5.56 x 45 mm) might cause massive tissue trauma and blood loss (and thus rapid incapacitation) on a lung or abdominal hit, the M67 has a greater chance of merely wounding the target"

as I mentioned 5.56 x 45 mm and Russian 7.62x39 are comparable but only if 5.56 x 45 mm is fired from a rifle with long barrel (M16, L85, G36). However it doesn't fragment when fired from short barrels. IRL If I had to fight I wouldn't choose a "5.56 x 45 mm" carbine.

The only disadvantage of 7.62x51mm NATO is the recoil. The accuracy and velocity at distance is great, that's why there are many sniper rifles using this ammunition (M24), some were even developped from G3.
Old 2007-02-14, 19:15   #12
Smitty4212

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiN|ScarFace
Why would the M4 with a shorter barrel (14.5in) have less recoil than an M16 (20in)?
My only guess is that the M16 is heavier, especially with the longer barrel, and would therefore suffer from less recoil...

To put it into an easier example, which do you think would be more controllable: a Glock on full-auto, or an mp5? The mp5 of course.

Anyways, I'm pretty sure recoil already increases the way you want it to Jonathan.

Here's the stats from the M16 in vBF2.

Quote:
Min Deviation: 0.3
Deviation Standing / Crouching / Prone: 1.5/1.3/1
Deviation Mod when Zoomed: 0.8
Deviation Added per Shot 0.3 (2)
Recoil 0.1 - 0.6
Recoil when Zoomed 0.8
I know it's not recoil added per shot, but deviation added per shot would simulate the increased recoil...
Old 2007-02-14, 19:16   #13
Jonathan_Archer_nx01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiN|ScarFace
Why would the M4 with a shorter barrel (14.5in) have less recoil than an M16 (20in)?
Probably because the bullet is pushed out of the barrel with lower power.
Actually the recoil of both rifles seems to be the same but there may be a slight difference. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgKp9uEVivg
Old 2007-02-14, 19:21   #14
Jonathan_Archer_nx01

Quote:
Originally Posted by k30dxedle
If anything, IRL shouldn't the M4 have higher recoil than the M16, since it's lighter? E.g. firing a 9x19 round from a 92FS as opposed to an assault rifle-size weapon?

I've never fired an actual gun, so I wouldn't know definitively, though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty4212
My only guess is that the M16 is heavier, especially with the longer barrel, and would therefore suffer from less recoil...

To put it into an easier example, which do you think would be more controllable: a Glock on full-auto, or an mp5? The mp5 of course.
You can't compare rifles or sub-machine guns with rifles. Just look how to hold a pistol and how to hold a rifle. This is more about physics.

M16 isn't much heavier than M4 and IMO the lighter the better.
Actually heavy guns do KICK. Example can be PKM or BAR1918.
Old 2007-02-14, 19:33   #15
Arnoldio_SLO

yah...in single mode it should bump less...because in burst mode infact somehow kicks less...at least i think because it pushes gun up and down an at the end you dont get much difference ..but this mod is way better than softy BF2
Old 2007-02-14, 19:43   #16
mammikoura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnoldio_SLO
yah...in single mode it should bump less...because in burst mode infact somehow kicks less...at least i think because it pushes gun up and down an at the end you dont get much difference ..but this mod is way better than softy BF2
recoil pushes the gun against you, so backwards, instead of up or down. Though obviously because you are behind the gun it can't move backwards to it might move a little up. Though that again depends a little on how you hold the gun. But generally it's upwards. Never fired an automatic weapon before so can't be so sure how those behave when fired full auto.
Old 2007-02-14, 19:53   #17
Cyber-Couch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Archer_nx01
You can't compare rifles or sub-machine guns with rifles. Just look how to hold a pistol and how to hold a rifle. This is more about physics.

M16 isn't much heavier than M4 and IMO the lighter the better.
Actually heavy guns do KICK. Example can be PKM or BAR1918.
Not to mention you can't compare support guns to rifles. PKM and BAR use bigger rounds than m16 and m4, and so they kick more. It's the round combined with the size of the gun, not just the size of the gun. You could put a 7.62 in an m16 and given that it would fire - it would kick more than the PKM because it is ligther.

M16 and and M4 are practically the same, the only difference is weight, muzzle velocity, and ROF. The m16 will always win with accuracy and less recoil because of its longer barrel and heavier weight. Currently, the M4's recoil in .5 is perfect, I would not change it.
Old 2007-02-14, 20:02   #18
Arnoldio_SLO

locgic thinking tells you that when you fire a weapon, its pushed backwards(as you said),and it hits your shoulder, so it pushes it back = you get pushed back, but your legs stay there so your body curves back = rifle goes up(and a little bit left & right)

you can try this at home..just place an stick to your shoulder, hold it like rifle. then ask somebody to punch it quite hard ...youll se the result, then lay on the ground and do the same => the kick is transferred directly to your shouder and shouder has very little place to move => you get difference between prone & stand
Last edited by Arnoldio_SLO; 2007-02-14 at 21:18..
Old 2007-02-14, 22:18   #19
Soulja

I agree with the G3 needs a bit higher recoil, because even though it has a full auto mode, if you've ever shot one, it doest just go up, the large round makes it shake from side to side worse than a AK or a M4 so it's pretty inaccurate in full auto, but just because of shooter.
Old 2007-02-14, 22:21   #20
BetterDeadThanRed

7.62 on full auto? A lot more.

Tags
dynamic, recoil