project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2009-08-07, 13:06   #11
snooggums
Default Re: Ideas that could drastically change gameplay.

I like the rally idea, allows the SL to be in the fight as much as everyone else in cqb, but allows two guys to fall back and regroup the squad without setting a permanent spawn.
snooggums is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 13:42   #12
wookimonsta
Supporting Member

wont this just mean, you two, stay back there 200 meters while I the, glorious squad leader go back to fighting on the frontline?
wookimonsta is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 13:57   #13
mat552

If I'm reading this right, there are only three flags on a map, that makes it a pretty valid point that some (read: a lot of) people will memorize them. Even on Qwai with the "random" AAS, it picks the same ones a pretty hefty majority of the time.

Without a commander rework (Which I hear is coming, but still), this becomes the biggest reason to fill the commander slot, but I bet you still won't get that many commanders. Probably something like a faster cycle of mortars. Someone goes CO for a few minutes to mark the maps, then resigns to go play. Every now and then someone reapplies to refresh the map and drop the area attack, then resigns. No incentive to stay in the CO seat.

And there is still an inclination to rambo. Some players feel the best way to scout for caches on INS maps is to drive full speed in a humvee around and look for fire, because where there's fire, there's something worth defending. I imagine this effect, but with tanks and APCs and I shudder a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hx.bjoffe View Post
Especially rallypoint system, some of these thoughts could be put to work - the current system IS getting old and a little stale, being overall the same as the one introduced in 0.5.
Because if it ain't broke, we're loath to cease work on it.
I do agree, mechanics that have been the same for a long time are boring. I vote we abolish gravity and gunpowder in .9
mat552 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-07, 17:45   #14
X1 Spriggan
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookimonsta View Post
wont this just mean, you two, stay back there 200 meters while I the, glorious squad leader go back to fighting on the frontline?
Extremely good point. It may be true that there are some self pro-claimed squad leaders that would do that sort of thing. But wouldn't you ask the question to that certain squad leader " why are you even a squad leader then, wouldn't you have more fun as a regular grunt?" Thats what I would ask at least : / He would have cut the strength of his squad by a third.

Anyway the only way to address this problem is to make the SL be the only one to set the rally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat552 View Post
I do agree, mechanics that have been the same for a long time are boring. I vote we abolish gravity and gunpowder in .9
PR is trying to be one of the most realistic games on the market, and gravity and gunpowder is realistic Whats not realistic are people popping out of the ground from a pile of rucks and bags. What my suggestion does is try to wheen the rally point away from PR rather than fully getting rid of it.
Last edited by [R-CON]X1 Spriggan; 2009-08-08 at 09:04..
Old 2009-08-07, 19:13   #15
snooggums

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookimonsta View Post
As opposed to the officer and medic hanging back in case the other 4 get wiped out?

I'd like to lead and be able to regroup if part of the squad lives after taking an objective instead of having to hang back just because I have the officer kit.
snooggums is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 01:24   #16
Celestial1

In my opinion, the new rally would encourage many things:

(1) Value your life. You die, any you could be a long walk away from the fight.
(2) Value your transport. If they go down, you could be a LONGER walk away from the fight.
(3) Retreat when retreat is the best option. Too often a squad will fight to the death instead of trying to fall back after a bad fight and regrouping to come back in force.
(4) USE transport. APCs would be yelled at a LOT more if they weren't used to actually transport troops, making their job a bit more defined.

The commander requirement I think would be really good to see. Without the commander the team would REALLY be blind, instead of being deaf for communicating with others. With the UAV and this kind of tactical ability (Instead of the commander always saying 'Go to X flag and defend' he is encouraged to take the time to lay out a plan FOR the squad 'Go to marker, and defend towards the West' where the flag is actually to their east and they are acting as a forward defense for a squad that is on the cap radius.

And I also think that maybe AASv3 and v4 should be a 'gamemode' option. v4 would kind of act like the 'hardcore' version of PR, whereas v3 would act like the public match mode. That way, servers like Tactical Gamer and etc can set up AASv4 and have a lot more teamwork called for on an everyday basis. As v4 gets more and more played, v3 could be phased out slowly.
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 05:20   #17
00SoldierofFortune00

[QUOTE=Celestial1;1106042]In my opinion, the new rally would encourage many things:

(1) Value your life. You die, any you could be a long walk away from the fight.
(2) Value your transport. If they go down, you could be a LONGER walk away from the fight.
(3) Retreat when retreat is the best option. Too often a squad will fight to the death instead of trying to fall back after a bad fight and regrouping to come back in force.
(4) USE transport. APCs would be yelled at a LOT more if they weren't used to actually transport troops, making their job a bit more defined.[QUOTE]

The RP/spawn suggestion has been done/suggested to death too many times. This is just another suggestion that sounds really good in practice, but would be terrible ingame, especially on insurgency where "falling back" is pretty much impossible when you have a wave of insurgents who respawn twice as quick as you. Plus, you can try to fall back sometimes only to get shot in the back.

And if losing your RP from being overrun right now doesn't encourage your squad to "regroup", you really think this is? This just further punishes the squad (more than the magical disappearing RP) and would just frustrate people more.
00SoldierofFortune00 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 07:07   #18
mat552

Quote:
Originally Posted by X1 Spriggan View Post
PR is trying to be one the most realistic games on the market, and gravity and gunpowder is realistic
Realism has taken a backseat to balance, it still insists on navigating, but many changes have been made that choose balance over realism.

Some gameplay lubricating elements must and will remain, I'm not sure rallypoints in their current form are one of them, but they sure do help things along.
mat552 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 15:27   #19
Garmax

yeah i believe the commander should have a much more important job, and it should be fun and playable.. looking at a map trying to communicate with people that all they wanna do is fly choppers isnt much fun..

i believe they should have a say in a lot more of whats going on and be more involved.. spotting out targets and stuff with the UAV is gonna be awesome and everything but the commander should have a plan of action and control things not just tell a squad where to go
Garmax is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-08-08, 15:29   #20
hx.bjoffe
PR:BF2 QA Tester
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mat552 View Post
What an argument?
Continious changes to gameplay is the primary reason i haven't grown bored of PR.
I've never felt comfortable with the rallypoints (or "quicksaves") in the first place, and you've gotto agree the way PR is played now is a little less spammy then it was two years ago. 'Broken' is sortof subjective.
hx.bjoffe is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
change, drastically, gameplay, ideas