Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread

Old 2020-05-17, 23:10   #11
Rabbit
Default Re: v1.6.1 - Gameplay changes

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlonTavor View Post
Good reminder, I don't know why jumping costs that much after bf2 patch 1.5 and after our dolphin fixes. Feels like left overs from the time it was exploitable.
Stamina based on weapon held, eh, this isn't CS.
Having an impromptu vault/clamber is pretty fuckin far from CS. It would be "unarmed"
Old 2020-05-17, 23:58   #12
[R-DEV]Suchar
PR:BF2 QA Lead
PR Server License Administrator

Tweaking stamina loss on jump is easy
Code:
\objects\soldiers\Common\*body_armor_stuff*.con
Code:
Line 14: ObjectTemplate.SprintLossAtJump 0.4
The sprint loss could be generally lowered instead of doing some fancy magic stuff. Jumping is used just for overcoming obstacles anyway and it costs way too much in my opinion.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic98978_4.gif
Old 2020-05-18, 00:36   #13
Web_cole
Supporting Member

Quote:
Gives you more reasons to stop dying out of cover or drag back to cover. Wanted to combine it with 1.6 dragging but felt some low-level stuff weren't tested enough.
Dragging is a cool addition to a medics toolset but as a tool alone by itself it is very different to patch reviving. Its slower and the medic is more exposed. This means revives that were viable before will no longer be viable. Nothing to do with bad positioning on the part of the casualty; sometimes firefights are dynamic and move, ground is lost and won etc. Medics have a dynamic solution for that problem in patch reviving.

Without that an important band of the percentage of revives that you can go for now will be pushed towards not being viable. Less viable revives means more re-spawning. More re-spawning means more difficulty in keeping squads together. More difficulty in keeping squads together means more difficulty in maintaining squad cohesion and teamwork.

In other words dragging was cool but completely (and imo negatively) altering the dynamics of the game to shoehorn it in isn't.

If you want dragging to be more viable without removing a core (and emergent) mechanic you could reduce the number of patches a medic has down to 3/4~ and force medics to play the resource management game a little more. At that point maybe you have to make interesting judgement calls as to whether to try a drag revive, even though a patch revive might be a lot safer. Risk vs reward etc.

Old 2020-05-18, 04:42   #14
GwGv2

Quote:
Gives you more reasons to stop dying out of cover or drag back to cover. Wanted to combine it with 1.6 dragging but felt some low-level stuff weren't tested enough.
Completely agreed with this...people must understand that this is not a game to rush and die, and the more features to get the game harder...the better it will be, as well the realism being improved with this...or would you guys think that u could normally run with a bullet in your chest or leg? hahaha

The amount of people wasting 10+ tickets is so high and it sucks a lot, so they must learn how to properly play the game. (Also, I think we should have a sightly change on the wounded system, like after being revived u must wait a little bit before u can die again, otherwise you would be dead-dead haha we should have a longer wait time for this, so people wouldnt be rushing so fast again.)
Old 2020-05-18, 05:00   #15
[R-DEV]Mats391
PR:BF2 Lead Developer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petar97 View Post
How realistic is that? i dont think ground forces can hear UAV in real life but interesting idea maybe make UAV more visible on some maps or make UAV destructible by AAV and planes?
We discussed destructible UAVs in the team and there are also a couple of threads in the public forums. There are many reasons against it. Since people will shoot at what they see, a visible indestructible UAV would be bad. Just audio offers a better solution as it makes you aware of the threat, without giving you a target to shoot at. In addition we are trying to keep the sound low enough so only infantry can hear it.
As for realism, it depends on the kind of drone we try to represent. Some fly real high and far away from the actual area they watch, others are much closer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REa19YJjAlg

Mineral: TIL that Wire-guided missiles actually use wire
Old 2020-05-18, 06:43   #16
[R-CON]​CAS_ual_TY
PR:BF2 Contributor
Supporting Member
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Good reminder, I don't know why jumping costs that much after bf2 patch 1.5 and after our dolphin fixes. Feels like left overs from the time it was exploitable.
Stamina based on weapon held, eh, this isn't CS.
Already opened a thread on this
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=149735
Maybe make players lose consequtively more the more they jump. So binnyhopping is still nerfed but jumping over a single fence is fine

Old 2020-05-18, 06:54   #17
Graysun
Supporting Member

Awesome update, getting some RNG out of the armor gameplay with this one and adding some new features to change the flavor on infantry gameplay, keep it up!
Good to see pr getting some much needed care
Last edited by Graysun; 2020-05-18 at 07:37..
Old 2020-05-18, 08:12   #18
Woxbel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web_cole View Post
Dragging is a cool addition to a medics toolset but as a tool alone by itself it is very different to patch reviving. Its slower and the medic is more exposed. This means revives that were viable before will no longer be viable. Nothing to do with bad positioning on the part of the casualty; sometimes firefights are dynamic and move, ground is lost and won etc. Medics have a dynamic solution for that problem in patch reviving.

Without that an important band of the percentage of revives that you can go for now will be pushed towards not being viable. Less viable revives means more re-spawning. More re-spawning means more difficulty in keeping squads together. More difficulty in keeping squads together means more difficulty in maintaining squad cohesion and teamwork.

In other words dragging was cool but completely (and imo negatively) altering the dynamics of the game to shoehorn it in isn't.

If you want dragging to be more viable without removing a core (and emergent) mechanic you could reduce the number of patches a medic has down to 3/4~ and force medics to play the resource management game a little more. At that point maybe you have to make interesting judgement calls as to whether to try a drag revive, even though a patch revive might be a lot safer. Risk vs reward etc.
I totally agree with Web! While the dragging feature is cool mainly the ability to get people unstuck. As well as dragging people short distances( just behind the ridge or around the corner).

For loads of the other revives it simply isn’t viable which will directly result in more deaths. Yes people should stay in cover as they should now. But this isn’t always an option let’s take a Saaremaa forest fight being able to quickly move backwards before grenades or a push come in make those revives viable. If I have to crouch and walk around awkwardly to get you in that spot that revive isn’t happening.

It also makes it a less enjoyable experience for new players where a squad/medic could now still save a downed player that wasn’t in the best of cover. Effectively covering the shortage of skill of one player by teamwork of his squad. Ofc this could theoretically still happen if you clear the entire area but no matter how you look at it this decreases the odds of that considerably. Which might make it harder altogether for new players to get into established squads in the first place.

If you want to make dragging more viable for longer distance stuff make the kit actually stick the amount of awkward situations(running around as chickens without heads while getting shot to find a kit) I have already gotten into after doing the drag thing have made me very hesitant to use it in almost all situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GwGv2 View Post
Completely agreed with this...people must understand that this is not a game to rush and die, and the more features to get the game harder...the better it will be, as well the realism being improved with this...or would you guys think that u could normally run with a bullet in your chest or leg? hahaha

The amount of people wasting 10+ tickets is so high and it sucks a lot, so they must learn how to properly play the game. (Also, I think we should have a sightly change on the wounded system, like after being revived u must wait a little bit before u can die again, otherwise you would be dead-dead haha we should have a longer wait time for this, so people wouldnt be rushing so fast again.)

This argument seems rather alien to me. People according to you are (“The amount of people wasting 10+ tickets is so high and it sucks a lot”) not skilled enough to play at the current difficulty so we should make it harder since that will magically make them play better. This change no matter if you agree with it or not will automatically mean firefights will cost more tickets.

Same for “(Also, I think we should have a sightly change on the wounded system, like after being revived u must wait a little bit before u can die again, otherwise you would be dead-dead haha we should have a longer wait time for this, so people wouldnt be rushing so fast again.)” I assume you realize this is already in the game its 2 minutes this is already quite a considerable drawback and most people that currently play seem to not be aware of it or ignore it and rush anyways directly after they get revived increasing this won’t magically make those guys play differently.

Last but not least doing a patch revive the right way in those instances we are talking about here takes considerable amount of skill in communication and battlefield awareness on both the medic and the person being revived. Taking this tool away in my eyes just makes the Medic role more boring and one dimensional it is the only role I play so I am not saying this lightly.

A big part of the enjoyment of playing a medic is finding the right tool for the job since doing patch revives and running isn’t always the right choice much the same to how doing smoke revives often aren’t the best either.

The same is true for dragging it should just be another tool in the toolset not the only tool. It is all about making the right choices learning from previous situations and communicating well with your fellow players.

On a side note does this remove the bug where certain players with certain hardware don’t get a black and white screen at all? (Don’t have this myself but I do keep hearing about it if this isn’t a thing than I guess I have been trolled )
Old 2020-05-18, 08:21   #19
InfantryGamer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Web_cole View Post

Literarly 99/100 medics do not use this mechanic at all. I used it maybe once and I still never feelt I could not go for some revive.
Old 2020-05-18, 09:02   #20
mries
Supporting Member

I like the revive nerf. Requires a change in gameplay by using the drag more. You can still patch to give the wounded player visual benefits. Being able to run after a revive is quite stupid although it was a fair gameplay mechanic/exploit.

This feature would be more suitable if all kits would be able to dragqueen wounded players though

Closed Thread