project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
21 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Closed Thread

Old 2013-01-24, 17:12   #11
[R-DEV]​Ason
PR:BF2 Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [MAP] Grozny 2km/4km

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP_MineralWouter View Post
exactly It's handy for laying down roads and certain parts of the city. If you use it together with a heightmap then it will be even better. some tutorials, but a bit more difficult can be read here:
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...img-heavy.html
That's awesome thanks alot my friend
Old 2013-01-24, 17:23   #12
rodrigoma

if you need a height-map I can get it for you, tell me the coordinates
Old 2013-01-24, 17:43   #13
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]rodrigoma View Post
if you need a height-map I can get it for you, tell me the coordinates
Alright thanks man, at the moment I'm not exactly sure of which area of the city I will be using yet, but I will try to contact you when i know
The things I need most help with is that which requires photoshop, I don't have photoshop and it would be really nice to know i won't have to learn photoshop aswell xd
And i guess you need photoshop to make heightmaps right? I just quickly read through the tutorial which Mineral wouter told me about.
Old 2013-01-24, 17:49   #14
[R-DEV]Mineral
PR:BF2 Lead Designer
Supporting Member
PR Server License Administrator

If you use features that the bf2 editor offers and stick to those, then you probably won't need photoshop. However things such as tpaint and costum heightmaps do require a small knowledge of Photoshop or a similar program. However it's not that hard to aquire and learn the basics of ps.

Old 2013-01-24, 20:59   #15
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

I think you should look into getting some non-enterable soviet era apartment buildings, having them will result in much better experience of the map in general, they will make the map less demanding for PCs, and they will result in better gameplay, as people will not be able to hide so easily.

Non-enterable statics are also rather easy to make, a good task for a novice modeler to take up

Old 2013-01-24, 21:33   #16
sirfstar

I've also had this idea and started to do something like that, but i'm too lazy
I have a few destroyed buildings specially made from grozny photos, like http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/8486/92470845.jpg presidential palace, but it needs UVs and proper export into game. If anyone interested i can give away these.
Old 2013-01-25, 11:13   #17
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

Quote:
think you should look into getting some non-enterable soviet era apartment buildings
I actually hate non-enterable buildings, it makes it so much less realistic... But I am thinking of having mostly non enterables at the outskirts and enterable in the centre of the map or at key locations, this actually leads me to another question,
does anybody know if there are any buildings with basements? The chechens managed to slaughter russias armored vehicles by firing from top and bottom of buildings where the tanks could not aim. Does anybody know if i myself can build some kind of basement or underground bunkers? I know there is the Hospital in Fallujah with the basement, but that's about it, and it doesn't have any basement windows...
But I could do without the basements, it's just one of my smaller concerns right now.

Quote:
I've also had this idea and started to do something like that, but i'm too lazy
I have a few destroyed buildings specially made from grozny photos, like http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/8486/92470845.jpg presidential palace, but it needs UVs and proper export into game. If anyone interested i can give away these.
That is really awesome, i would love to use it in my map if it ever gets finished
Old 2013-01-25, 11:50   #18
Moszeusz6Pl
Retired PR Developer

You can place normal building and blurry it in the ground. Dig a hole in the ground and place building inside.

Old 2013-01-25, 12:04   #19
[R-DEV]​Ason
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moszeusz6Pl View Post
You can place normal building and blurry it in the ground. Dig a hole in the ground and place building inside.
Alright thanks man, i'll try that
Old 2013-01-25, 15:01   #20
sylent/shooter

The BF2 system doesn't actually have the ability to make correct tunnels... if you've modded for BFV then you'll know what I'm talking about... Anyways, like mentioned above, dig a hole and place things above it and inside it's really not hard to do... take a look at Fallujah and you'll see what we mean.

In regards to performance issues. If we could make a map that has all enterables then we would, however it's not possible in the engine and for computers to handle. That being said, I know it seems like it'll offset the amount of enterables in the main city if you put non-enterables on the oustide of the city, however it won't work like that. Because of the fact that the enterables are all in the same area they are all being rendered at the same time. It will basically be unplayable if you do that. You need to mix in the majority of the town with non-enterables because cities and towns are generally heavier on the computer because of the close proximity of the statics.

In the current engine and system which doesn't allow for more than 2GB of RAM being used we have to make concessions and this is one of them. If you are going to argue that Silent Eagle has a purely enterable village then yes it does. However if you've played it on lower end PC's there is a significant FPS drop, even on good PC's.

The enterables is one thing to consider.

----

Also do not use russian_apt3 (the yellow one) in apartment blocks as it has lod issues and isn't very optimized. Doing so will make areas of lag for your players
Closed Thread

Tags
2km, assault, grozny, map, released, wip