project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2014-02-12, 16:33   #11
Careless

Default Re: Concept Discussion - Rescue/MedEvac Squad

I would like to see it in a different way.

Well, I think it'll only work in PR 2 due to engine limitations.

But wouldn't it be interesting to have a MEDEVAC with a bigger meaning. Let's say that if you're saved by a MEDEVAC you don't lose any tickets at all as oposed to 1 ticket for being wounded. You can only get a MEDEVAC if there are no enemies within xxx-meters.

Just as a concept.

I see OP's suggesting happening only in clan based gaming where everything is settled and structured, not on public servers though
Careless is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-28, 16:02   #12
Trekkie

Well here's a common situation where a medevac squad would work perfectly: A whole squad gets taken out and are being body-camped. With no other friendlies nearby, the team's free to clear out the body-campers with 'nades, armor, area attack, whatever else.

But maybe instead of a specific medevac squad, we should think about medevac missions. Really, any squad with a medic or two can perform this function. If you're rescuing a squad with downed medics, even a few riflemen can do it. I guess the challenge is integrating it with your squad's other objectives.

Seems like the other problem is that communication between squads is focused so much on targets that there's no room in anyone's attention span to talk about medevac missions... so maybe having a dedicated medevac squad would actually mitigate that problem.
Trekkie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-12, 00:54   #13
Cavazos

Having a plan to save wiped out squads is good as they can be saved. Squads don't fall back when they should, squads don't have other squads nearby supporting when they should, and having all squads acting as a normal infantry squad never means all of them are fighting 100% of the time.

A lot of those squads are walking around without contact. I think having a squad respond to this thing will not be a waste of resources.

But it shouldn't be thought if as a Medevac squad which conjures the image of a helicopter with a medic to save the day. It should be thought of a squad that can effectively kill whatever killed the friendly squad.

If everyone is moving together on a single objective, there isn't much use for this squad since everyone... Is already together.

If you're on large map with squads spread out by themselves, having a reinforcement unit will be very handy. Should in essence, the most effective unit would be a quick reaction force (QRF). They wait for reports of enemy contact.

They don't wait for squad to be dead before they react! They just move to that squad as soon as contact us radioed!

Basically they move to confirmed enemy 100% of the time providing extra firepower and even being able to save squads from time to time. They go to friendly flags under seige, enemy flags being attacked, or supporting friendly being ambushed in between.

Their objective is to go to reported enemy locations versus normal squads who objective is to take flags or defend them.

I think it's useful. The main issue is getting to the reported contact alive and quickly. Hilly forested maps with lots of anti air renders this unit obsolete as hilly forests neutralize quick ground transports and lots of anti air render air transport too dangerous.
Cavazos is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
concept, discussion, rescue or medevac, squad