project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2011-04-08, 14:09   #11
sweedensniiperr
Supporting Member

Default Re: Suppressive Fire as of .95, does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComedian View Post
I thought this was Project Reality and not Modern Warfare:P
The people who can't see risks or dangers are stupid or really really confident, however armies love these people since they don't mind the risks and will get the job done better.

And yes, speed is obviously a key everytime military is involved.

sweedensniiperr is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 14:16   #12
L4gi
Server Administrator (A-N)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheComedian View Post
I thought this was Project Reality and not Modern Warfare:P
Just cause you dont know what youre doing doesnt mean I dont.
L4gi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 14:16   #13
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4gi View Post
In the end, the game is about speed and being confident in yourself
I'd say its a mixture, holding a advantageous static position is my default action; however I try to recognise oppotunities to exploit, and when that happens I want it to be fast and merciless.

No one tactic is good for everything, e.g. rushers generally gain rewards on public servers, however I've seen it turned against them as they too can be ambushed trying to rush or ambush certain positions.

Supressive fire in .95 works, but its quite hard to do, a vehicle is better at it due to the large supply of coax ammo it carries. When you do use suppresive fire you gotta try and ensure YOU are attackable only from a specific sector. If you don't then your exposed suppressing tactic will end with your death from a direction you couldn't watch. This can usually be achieved quite easily, e.g. just step back in to the room that contains the window you're using. The wider your field of view, the more exposed you are.

However suppressive fire is only one component of what you require to win a firefight.

A suppressed enemy only has to step back in to cover to be safe, and you will be expending alot of ammo keeping him there, You require an attacking element, be it from your squad or another, air, mortars, more infantry etc.

I feel that 128 players will increase the necessity of such tactics, which will be great

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 15:09   #14
Drav
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Absolute rubbish L4gi, thats just the way you play, which happens to work for you! Ofc defence can be totally impenetrable, to say that endless charging is the way forward is just not true, Ive seen waves and waves of squads die in front of a decent defence, you just have to actually do it!!
Drav is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 15:21   #15
Smegburt_funkledink

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Drav View Post
Ofc defence can be totally impenetrable
Whilst I'd like to agree, I think that's debatable. Everything has some kind of counter. Since Mortars and Thermals have been in PR, the goalposts have moved way too much.

For a defence to be 100% impenetrable, at times, it requires an offence of sorts I believe. But that's a whole different discussion.

[R-Div]Robbi "There's nothing more skanky than eating out of a tub of hummus with a screwdriver."
[R-DEV]Matrox "CHINAAAAAAA!!!"
Smegburt_funkledink is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 15:46   #16
Tiger1
Supporting Member

You setup a defensive position until reinforcements arrive. Hopefully they will arrive. If not, God Speed.

Or you fight till the bitter end.
Tiger1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 19:16   #17
Wifout Teef

So I just got PR last week, so I don't have as much experience as you guys.

But I can confirm that suppressive fire is extremely useful. I have used it several times each game I have played.

For example:

I was playing operation archer as a canadian automatic rifleman. Countless times throughout the match I would suppress taliban infantry. At the bunker area, my squad and I were positioned on a hill a few hundred meters away. I got like 6 kills there by hitting infantry in the open and I successfully suppressed them when they were hiding in the bunkers and control tower. Also I used it a lot while attacking the castle. I used both my LMG and a mounted .50 cal to suppress snipers in the castle.

Now I can't really confirm if they were hiding because of the suppression blurring effect or they just didn't want to die.

But when I'm pinned down by enemy suppressive fire, I experience the blur enough to stop myself from returning fire effectively unless I'm extremely determined. But like many players in PR, I simply don't want to die because it's a pain. So I hightail it out of there.
Wifout Teef is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 19:22   #18
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andersson View Post
You setup a defensive position until reinforcements arrive. Hopefully they will arrive. If not, God Speed.

Or you fight till the bitter end.
I prefer setting up a defensive position that the enemy have to attack by leaving their defensive flag area.

once this is accomplished, pin them in place while flanking elements take their flag from behind them, then run like hell to avoid dying over ground that has no more value to you.

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-08, 19:52   #19
goguapsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
The concept of 'suppression' in PR is irrelevant as there is no fear of death,
I do think that adding harsher suppressive effects - say, if you are getting suppressed and bullets are CLOSE (ie. as you get suppressed currently), the screen should go really black and red (as if you got hit), so you try to fall back to a safer spot to get healed "if you actually got shot" or just figure that you almost got shot. Either way, you would fall back, because you would think you got hit and couldn't see squat.

Medium and long hits should suppress how it is at the moment for close ranges.
goguapsy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-10, 08:05   #20
Cavazos

Perhaps when thinking of suppression, think of it requiring a combined arms approach to really do anything, and not aiming to suppress but aiming to actually kill them.

If you have an American infantry squad, maybe to have "effective suppression" you would need an M249 Squad Assault Weapon (SAW) for a heavy volume of fire that is accurate, with a M203 Grenade Launcher (GL) to hit targets in cover, and a M14 Squad Designated Marksman (SDM) to give precise fire when you can see the enemy, all this just to do what might be good suppression.

Your are indeed aiming to kill, not suppress. Suppression would just the next best thing. What effective suppression might be is almost killing them, or really trying to kill them but can't.
Last edited by Cavazos; 2011-04-10 at 08:15..

Tags
fire, suppressive, work