project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:Falklands General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Falklands modification.

Old 2012-10-06, 19:15   #11
Pvt.LHeureux
-
Default Re: Falklands feedback general

Rhin0, you should add some trenches statics, like small ones, to simulate that troops dug in foxholes/trenches recently. So we can have some covers... But since it's Mesh terrain, I don't know how you can do that :S
Old 2012-10-06, 19:20   #12
40mmrain
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTomRobs View Post
I'm not entirely sure about the whole jets not bleeding out issue - i played a good few rounds on the VW server last night and got tagged by cannon fire a good few times but managed to get away but i was only able to make it back as far as port stanley before i saw flames in the rear view camera.
I will try to verify repeatability, and isolate incidental variables that would affect that, ill be on tonight.

On multiple occasions I managed to fly back to base with black smoke, or with a burning engine, I also witnessed other jets dancing around with lots of smoke pouring out the back. I believe this occurred on the CIA server, on the STD layout.

Quote:
Rhin0, you should add some trenches statics, like small ones, to simulate that troops dug in foxholes/trenches recently. So we can have some covers... But since it's Mesh terrain, I don't know how you can do that :S
if this is impossible, the same way grass is then so be it. COuld a possible workaround be instantly built deployable foxholes, as opposed to ones requiring digging, to simulate already dug in trenches? FOxholes would be really useful on this map, ESPECIALLY if theyre changed such that CAS doesnt annihilate them.
Old 2012-10-06, 19:50   #13
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt.LHeureux View Post
Its possible to do yes, but would take quite a lot of work and rework of the terrain, UVs, textures and LMs to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40mmrain View Post
if this is impossible, the same way grass is then so be it. COuld a possible workaround be instantly built deployable foxholes, as opposed to ones requiring digging, to simulate already dug in trenches? FOxholes would be really useful on this map, ESPECIALLY if theyre changed such that CAS doesnt annihilate them.
Ye this is something I may add, like I've got the deployable HMG nest that you can build at Goose Green.

Biggest problem thou for both this and building trenches into the terrain is due to the small scale of the map, there isn't really any places to put them in terms of where the defences where.

Quote:
I will try to verify repeatability, and isolate incidental variables that would affect that, ill be on tonight.

On multiple occasions I managed to fly back to base with black smoke, or with a burning engine, I also witnessed other jets dancing around with lots of smoke pouring out the back. I believe this occurred on the CIA server, on the STD layout.
What jet have you managed to make back to base once on fire?

Black smoke doesn't always = bleeding. Flames however dose = bleeding.

On the Mirage for example, which has a max HP of 1000, at 350 HP "bleeding" will occour. At 750 HP for white smoke. 500 HP however is the time you get "black smoke" (still above critical damage HP) and at 100 HP you have fire (well under the critical damage mark). This should be true for pretty much all jets and if you can find a jet that isn't bleeding when on fire, please let me know.

PS. Pvt.LHeureux while my game name ingame is Rhin0, this is due to BF2 not letting make an account called [R-DEV]Rhino, instead I had to use the 0 ingame to make the account. Otherwise its just Rhino

Old 2012-10-06, 20:06   #14
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

Are we sure the scimitar had thermals in 1982? Seems early.

I've got no idea and the intrewebz don't help but gime a few days I could find out.
Old 2012-10-06, 20:54   #15
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLODDITHANLEY View Post
Are we sure the scimitar had thermals in 1982? Seems early.

I've got no idea and the intrewebz don't help but gime a few days I could find out.
No it didn't, the old Scimi used back then as mentioned above only had a NV sight, which proved to be very useful during the battles it was involved in ye, no Thermals, they have just been left on for now since its using the same scimi thats in normal PR and need to fix the NV shaders before we can put that on so Thermals have been left on to act in its place

Old 2012-10-06, 20:57   #16
40mmrain
Supporting Member

right, well I did manage to fly a mirage variant all the way back to argentina before, while ablaze, I will try and repeat this and verify.
Old 2012-10-06, 21:02   #17
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
right, well I did manage to fly a mirage variant all the way back to argentina before, while ablaze, I will try and repeat this and verify.
I think I've just seen the problem. In the Anti-Ship version of the M3EA, its got:
Code:
ObjectTemplate.armor.hpLostWhileCriticalDamage 0
Ie, isn't taking any damage when in critical damage with that setting, should be 15...

Dagger also had this issue but the main M3EA didn't.

Cheers!

Old 2012-10-07, 01:43   #18
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
British air power, and armour is superior. The guided GBUs are terribly useful if a proper sniper team is set up, and the argentines have no LGBs,
Has anyone else found this an issue too? So far haven't heard anyone else complain about this but if anyone has found this really OP too please say and to anyone who think its fine as it is please say too

Old 2012-10-07, 02:26   #19
Lange

I will post some pics in the bugs thread but can confirm what rain is saying with the deployable, AA however to be it seemed to deploy but be invisible, as I walked over it a few times but was really buggy lagging my soldier into the ground, possibly pushing a squadmate below ground etc. Also issues with invisible objects in buildings but took some screenshots in a game and will put in the bugthread.

Found my gameplay as Argentina so far to be a absolute rapefest by armor and CAS as infantry. its frustrating as hell and damn near impossible as Argentina as it is now, as other than CAS they have crap AT (Bazooka and LAT have really short range and as wipeopen and uncovered as the map is at the moment you will rarely get a chance to even engage the armor before your seen and shot to bits). So far its not uncommon for the British Scimi crews to get 60-70 kills during a round which is INSANE I rarely ever saw that with armor in normal PR even on INS with a tank. Its just beyond rediculous right now, the scimi either needs to be removed until it can be nerfed abeit realistically(no thermal cannon zoom reduced smaller ammo etc) or something else done.

With the CAS with the huge amount of jets and no cover and only 2 Handheld AA kits its also a nightmare as infantry. Being on any flag trying to defend or any focused area the Jets can just bomb and gun down with a blind eye your screwed, plain and simple. Not fun and frustrating as hell. I agree with 40mmrain entirely, several occassions just wanted to give up and quit because of the hopelessness. This never happened in normal PR to this scale because of how few Jet assets there are even on CAS maps not to mention tons of AA cover etc to counter.
Old 2012-10-07, 02:35   #20
40mmrain
Supporting Member

not sure how many people actually know the british have LGBs, actually, but usually when I have my fobs set up, we can kind of spread out and avoid dummies and rockets because of how hard it is to provide manual CAS or interdiction. HOwever, due to lack of squad leader SOFLAM to counter laze, and deployable AA I found my fobs getting continually earthshaken by the LGBs. This is probably another point that deployable AA (medium too?) could help quell.

I think the mod demands more time to assess, and people have gotten a bad first impression due to player ignorance. FOr example, most players had no idea the brits even had a scimitar, and never thought about trying to counter it leading to racking up 70 kills quite easily, this happened a few times. Players also neglect the fact that the sniper is the only holder of the SOFLAM, and players will regularly play by themselves, with a sniper kit (I have no clue why, the rifle isnt all that useful, which is fine, because the SOFLAM is more than enough to make the kit useful). Further the amount of jets has seemed to overwhelm some of our less.. observant players, and regularly you'll see people in infantry squads just take up a plane without even asking. Trans is neglected, the idea of air cover is lost upon seemingly all jet squad leaders who never seem to come to terms with the massive importance they hold, including the fact that theyre the only asset that is capable of offending against the scimitar, the HAT and SPG are strictly defensive weapons that are very hard to utilize. Will the recoilless the argentinians receive in the future perhaps have some sandbags for cover, and a quicker turn radius?

All in all, to quote moose, "falklands has made everyone retarded".

Players havent adapted yet, and the problem is I dont think the less observant players actually recognize this. The squad leaders are the corner stone of every project reality match, if there are no squad leaders the game is garbage, people just wander around big maps by themselves doing nothing, and is it stands the dramatically different nature of falklands has made squad leading quite difficult for any one, in fact, it's rare to even have a leader for the jet squads, most often jet leaders just kind of say do whatever, contrary to popular armour or helicopter tactics displayed in the usual PR. This has caused people to start to adapt a disliking of this new map. People dont know what theyre doing and blame the game. People are playing the game wrong. It's like calling chess crap because you dont know what the pieces do.

SOme of my more inflammatory points that ive made are probably a result of this. As it stands some glitches, and balance issues continue, however the core of this radically different take on project reality is going to be a lot more playable, once people learn through trial, error and experience. I can only hope that players dont develop a distaste for the map, and it becomes rarely played, that would be disappointing, but as 1.0 comes out and falklands has some fixes, im sure players will be inclined to play it more.

Oh yeah, and the absolute zero zoom of the stationary machine guns has rendered them ineffective. As infantry you can practice "pop up and down" tactics, and move around. As a machine gunner you have no fire advantage, as being to target properly is everything, and youre completely static. Everytime I've tried to utilize one, i've been on it just looking as hard as I can for the enemy, only to take shots and be forced off it or killed. A full 10x zoom or whatever is on the current PR machine gun would upset the fact that all arms in general have shorter effective ranges, however a nice 3 times or something would be REALLY nice.
Last edited by 40mmrain; 2012-10-07 at 02:45..

Tags
falklands, feedback, general