project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
07 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2015-08-13, 22:19   #11
VansFannel
Default Re: What do you think about this custom build?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeps View Post
Looks fine to me. Are you sure you want a full tower case? They are HUGE, make sure to go find a full tower case and look at it in person if you haven't already.
I have changed the case to a mid tower case and I get this warning:

The NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 406mm long, but video cards over 294mm may block drive bays. Since the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card is 310mm long, some drive bays may not be usable.

Do I have to take care of this? I'm going to have a SSD unit, a HDD and a DVD recorder.

You can find my new build here: Intel Core i7-4790K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970, Thermaltake Overseer RX-I - System Build - PCPartPicker
VansFannel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-13, 22:24   #12
VansFannel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLODDITHANLEY View Post
I needed an adapter plate for my Samsung evo which came without anything, no screws or cables.

My asus strix GTX 970 is so big I had to chop my case to fit it in. Are you planning to SLi?

A very nice build that is over the top for gaming, and remember that a new motherboard socket and CPU will be out very very soon. So your system will be superseded in about one month.
No, I'm not planning to SLI at this moment, but maybe in a future I could think about it.

I have changed my build with a mid-tower and I get this warning:

The NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case supports video cards up to 406mm long, but video cards over 294mm may block drive bays. Since the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card is 310mm long, some drive bays may not be usable.

If I lose a bay or two is not going to be a problem. I think I'm not going to chop my case . I have chosen a full tower to avoid this problem, but a full tower is too big.
Old 2015-08-13, 22:28   #13
VansFannel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_K View Post
just be aware that the 970 will only be limited to 3500mb VRAM, not 4 as advertised.. so if you push too far on intensive games like skyrim, you might get performance drop. best for 970 is gigabyte and MSI (although i believe MSI is a lot better when it comes to OC and sound, plus it has 2 bigger fans than 3 smaller fans), either way, both are great

if you were worried about budget, there's certainly areas where you can cut off (such as PSU and case, could definitely get away with stock CPU cooler unless you plan to OC), other than that, solid build
Thanks for you comment.

Could you please recommend me a PSU, case and a CPU Cooler? I have changed the case with a NZXT CA-H230I-W1 mid-tower. Intel Core i7-4790K, Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970, NZXT H440 (White/Black) - System Build - PCPartPicker
Old 2015-08-14, 00:42   #14
Steeps
Supporting Member

ABSOLUTELY go with the NZXT H440. Best case I have ever worked with. You will actually be taking out most of the drive bays to allow for better airflow so that doesn't matter .

Here's mine!

Steeps is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-14, 06:36   #15
Cossack
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC_K View Post
just be aware that the 970 will only be limited to 3500mb VRAM, not 4 as advertised.. so if you push too far on intensive games like skyrim, you might get performance drop. best for 970 is gigabyte and MSI (although i believe MSI is a lot better when it comes to OC and sound, plus it has 2 bigger fans than 3 smaller fans), either way, both are great

if you were worried about budget, there's certainly areas where you can cut off (such as PSU and case, could definitely get away with stock CPU cooler unless you plan to OC), other than that, solid build
I have 970 and you start feeling the drop, when you have more than one screen.

I have one 1080p screen and I am good to go. And I play Witcher 3 on max settings.

About cases, I suggest to take a look at Corsair as well. They have really nice cases, I own Corsair 650D, really easy cable management.

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-05, 17:24   #16
mutti_wilson

I play PR @ 3840x2160@60hz with 2xAA with everything maxed out and the lowest FPS i've seen on any map is 45. 90% of the time it stays capped at vsync. Rig is in my sig. Hope that helps you make a decision.
mutti_wilson is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-05, 03:18   #17
Cassius
Supporting Member

Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H
CPU: Intel i7-5820K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
RAM: Crucial Balistix Tactical 16 GB
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro Basic
HDD: Toshiba 3.5-Inch 500GB 7200 RPM SATA3/SATA 6.0 GB/s 32MB Hard Drive DT01ACA050
Case: Corsair Carbide 200R
Power supply: Corsair AX860 80Plus Platinum

All wrong

Graphics Card: -Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970- Get the Gtx 970 MSI gaming instead its quite
Motherboard: -Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H- Get the AsRock Z170 Extreme4?or a similiar 1151 board instead that supports DDR4 ram so you dont buy DDR3 Ram that you cant use for your next build, Socket 1151 is the future like 2 more processor generations will follow sklyark.
CPU: -Intel i7-5820K- Although the i5 6600 3,5 is sufficient get the socket 1151 equivalent of the i7 if you must, but I wouldnt because you will upgrade the CPU anyway with some skylark successor down the road.
CPU Cooler: Research a cooler with a 120 mm fan for your 1151 socket cpu.
RAM: Get any DDR 4 ram that is reliable and reasonably priced. The difference between top ram and slow ram is like 3 fps.

SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120 GB unless your mainboard does not have an M.2 chip
HDD: Toshiba 3.5-Inch 500GB 7200 RPM SATA3/SATA 6.0 GB/s 32MB Hard Drive DT01ACA050 sure why not whatever. You can find a 3 TB drive for 70 though.
Case: If you are not strapped for cash get the be quiet! Silent Base 600 its like 40 bucks more.
Power supply: Get the Dark power pro 11 550W instead. Its really quite and more than sufficient for this build. The max power should be in the sub 400 range and that is assuming CPU GPU are maxing out and all your drives and fans are maxing out at the same time too. So even while gaming it shouldn't come close to its max. You cant do SLI though which you only really need if you want to play in a ridiculously high resolution. With the money you pay extra for more power and a second card even if its cheaper down the road sell the card you have and upgrade your card, which will probably have new features you dont get with SLI.

This is a fast build very quite and with the 1151 socket you should only need to upgrade the CPU and the graficcard when they become too slow after 2 years or more.

|TG|cap_Kilgore
Last edited by Cassius; 2015-12-05 at 14:50..

Tags
build, custom