project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:Falklands General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Falklands modification.

Old 2012-10-17, 19:06   #11
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Guide] Harrier Vertical Takeoff

for take offs as mentioned DONT TOUCH THE STICK. there's a very good reason for this both IRL and in game. Do as one is supposed to, hands off. dont touch the stick till you've cleared the deck completely.

remember the mechanics of an aircraft. the plane does not actually bring it's nose up. what actually happens is that the tail is pushed down.

Information in the hands of a critical thinker is invaluable, information alone is simply dangerous.
Old 2012-10-18, 03:34   #12
Xavo|xXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerof_D View Post
remember the mechanics of an aircraft. the plane does not actually bring it's nose up. what actually happens is that the tail is pushed down.
Which brings the nose up..? Not sure what you're trying to say. Moving an aileron up, forces the other wing down - to put it simply every action has an equal and opposite reaction (provided centre of balance is near the middle).
Old 2012-10-18, 05:40   #13
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Basically what Bringerof is saying is if your going fast enough when going up the ramp and you pull up hard your tail smashes into the deck which is why sometimes you take damage when taking off.

Old 2012-10-22, 01:24   #14
Xavo|xXx

Ah right, I see what you mean. The momentum of the aircraft is still pretty much horizontal, despite the nose being high - which means the rear of the a/c is lower and hits the ramp before the a/c can climb.
Old 2012-12-27, 14:58   #15
Gracler

I almost always take off vertically unless if the server isnt full or im sure noone is gonna fool around on the deck. Especially on the "air control" version ( i guess it is the ALT version) it is a terrible situation with the traffic... I once crashed myself into the sea evading a guy pulling in-front of me just as I was getting thrust.

At about 100m altitude going 90 degree like a spaceshuttle also works, for me but it is absoulte minimum.
Old 2013-05-11, 18:10   #16
Ca6e

Ok, taking off is not problem, at least anymore, but how the hack u land verticaly, tried everything on test airfield map, but it always drug my nose down. Can somebody write down how u do it.
Old 2013-05-11, 18:45   #17
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

The Harriers current on Test Airfield have different, older, buggy code from the Harriers in PR:F which have fully working code. I suggest you try flying the Harriers on PR:F in either local, or on a server running the Vehicle Warfare mode as loosing a vehicle in that mode doesn't cost any tickets and their are an infinite number of aircraft that spawn very quickly so even if you destroy all the jets on the deck they will all be back in 30secs or so

As for landing, with the Harriers in PR:F, assuming your at full speed in forward flight at roughly 100m altitude, put the engines into full reverse (ie, full vertical) 3kms out from the Carrier and you should come to a hover next to it. If you are going to overshoot it slightly do turn away and then back towards the ships stern for your landing. If your going to undershoot you can put your engine into full power (providing your not going too slow) and you will gain forward speed pretty quickly then shove it back into full reverse after picking up just enough speed to see you there easily
Then just hover next to the ship, slide over the landing zone, and ease off the throttle till you land on the deck, taxi to the ramp/plane stand on the side to reload, done

Tags
guide, harrier, takeoff, vertical