project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Objects
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2013-01-16, 08:44   #11
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Static] Tobruk bunker (WIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx View Post
That is the one I was thinking of, but i guess I thought it was over using an existing pallet from a different object. damn.
Are you talking about suffixed textures for different maps?

Like on Fallujah, the blockwall texture is normally this:

But on Fallujah it uses this from the _fw suffix.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-16, 15:22   #12
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Are you talking about suffixed textures for different maps?

Like on Fallujah, the blockwall texture is normally this:

But on Fallujah it uses this from the _fw suffix.
Yes that's it I wanted to pull a texture off one object (cobble pattern off a building) and put it on to a wall type.
Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-27, 18:49   #13
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Gracler, how is this going?

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 12:08   #14
Gracler

Its moving slowly forward. I've had some technical problems and I'm practicing to get it done right with the tutorials. First I was modeling with 3DS MAX 2013 then I remembered it was a bad idea, and got 3DS MAX 9 so I had to start over.

Don't worry I'm doing something every day but other things also has to be done so it isn't as fast as I hoped. I'm hoping for an update pretty soon though.
Gracler is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-28, 12:48   #15
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Spoil us with screenshots when you can .

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-30, 20:03   #16
Gracler

So here is the first screenshots of the basic Tobruk bunker (keeping it as simple as possible to begin with)

Im not sure how high a player character is so i'm a little unsure if i should place another ramp or a box to stand on so that the player is able to actually see anything but the sky from the bunker . The current height from the floor to the top is 1.6m which I recon is too High.

I have an issue with exporting. MAXScript Rollout Handler Exception: --Unknown property: "saveMaterial" in undefined
I using version poe2_0.30a and ive installed service pack 2 for 3dsmax9 and im running windows 7 64 bit. I think it might be a windows permission thing since I got bf2 installed on another drive than C where 3dsmax is installed.
Otherwise i would have been able to test it in bf2editor to see if the height is good.

Edit: I noticed the stairs going is not the same length gonna correct that.
Last edited by Gracler; 2013-01-31 at 03:14..
Old 2013-01-31, 11:40   #17
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

I would advise against having Bf2 in a different than default instalation path, although no idea if your error is caused by this. What your error might mean is that you didnt apply any material or texture to your model. You could do a quick basic UV and then try again.
For testing things like if you can shoot out of somewhere or if you can fit somewhere you need to create cols, for this you need at least col2 (soldier mesh) and probably col0 too (decal mesh) for testing purposes you can just copy your main mesh and use it like those cols (rename, put proper material, and put them into hierarchy as descrobed in tutorial), but for final export you need to make them properly, eg. col2 needs ramps where those stairs are and at the entrance, too.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f38...ml#post1763721

Here you get a some info on how big things should be, i would worry about soldier fitting into the lower part of the bunke. The visual mesh needs to be at least 1.3 m high if im not mistaken, and you have to make the col mesh 1.4 high in the same area for the soldier to be able to pass.

For the standing shooting height, You should go for the recommended shooting cover height, which is 1.32, so you put a box under the circle if you need.

Speaking of circle, you are really low on triangles now, so you can smooth that circle up.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...cylinders.html

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 12:26   #18
KaB
Retired PR Developer

Don't forget to make them destructible under mortars hit.
KaB is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 12:27   #19
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
I would advise against having Bf2 in a different than default instalation path
You should install BF2 wherever you please, that shouldn't cause any issues. I know mine certainly isn't in the default dir .

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaB View Post
Don't forget to make them destructible under mortars hit.
If he wants to, sure. We could have different versions:

destroyable
non-destroyable
destroyed already

Though it depends on what the mapper wants for gameplay whether they'll be used or not.

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-31, 14:03   #20
Arc_Shielder
Retired PR Developer

Weren't most Tobruk bunkers buried?

If yes, don't see how making it destroyable would add anything to gameplay. The gunner is sufficiently exposed to be taken out with small arms. There would also be an issue with the terrain not falling in once destroyed which would make it aesthetically awkward.

As a mapper I would never use this static in the bare open above ground as it would be contradictory to its purpose (although I have seen a few pics of them like that).

It's up to the modeller though.

Nice work so far. Would love to have that baby in my map.
Arc_Shielder is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
bunker, militarytobruk, poxo is ghey, static, tobruk, wip, ww2