project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2022-01-19, 15:19   #11
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Default Re: Battle Rifles need a rework

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
I've been around since 2004/05. Back when Project Reality was just an idea on the totalbf2 forums(I think, could've been bf2s or bf central).
Be honest! I've been around since 2009, didn't make a forum account and post here until I was already moved on from PR to Arma 2 and BMS, but I still help my gaming clan run a COOP server in PR among other games. You may have played PR back in the day, but then you put it down for years and years, and came back in 2021 with a ton of "suggestions" and "feedback", didn't you? No shame in that, but it's at least honest, right?

SemlerPDX is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-20, 00:24   #12
Coalz101

Quote:
Back to the matter at hand. Battle rifles are in a bad spot. There is no good reason for anybody who is given the choice to use battle rifles to do so. Sure they may be a fun distraction for factions that can afford the novelty(FSA/TALI/INS), but for the MEC(especially on iron sight layers)they are a hindrance. What makes MEC maps Kashan, Muttrah and Burning Sands better maps than Sbeneh and Fallujah? Scopes. But if given scopes on the latter two maps, the MEC would dominate the opposing factions too easily.
You forgot your favourite map, Kafr Halab (Alt layer specifically), and Beirut where neither side has scopes and honestly in that case G3 surpasses AK atleast at anything above 30 meters once you single fire it. I honestly can recall a recent encounter of Muttrah where I was using G3 with irons and managed to down an american burst firing m16 at me in close range (Without ADS) could be share luck but any data is good data in an uncontrolled environment.

I personally think G3 is fine on slower pace maps with less, but not absolutely no, CQC action. It encourages a different type of game strategy rather than just charge, like a bat out of hell, into a CQC battle and pray that the element of surprise is in your favour. Just do what Suchar said. "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"
Coalz101 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-20, 00:28   #13
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemlerPDX View Post
Be honest! I've been around since 2009, didn't make a forum account and post here until I was already moved on from PR to Arma 2 and BMS, but I still help my gaming clan run a COOP server in PR among other games. You may have played PR back in the day, but then you put it down for years and years, and came back in 2021 with a ton of "suggestions" and "feedback", didn't you? No shame in that, but it's at least honest, right?
I started playing PR around .2/.3 minimod. Ran a server back then too, up until .7. That I believe is when the devs fucked up the gun mechanics so bad; that PR was unplayable as infantry. I remember alot of complaints on the forums back then too. My head admin quit PR out of rage and disgust. I was busy IRL so I quit PR for years and shut down my server. Came back around .9 something. Back when the insurgents team wasn't so damn underpowered. Didn't like 1.0 that much. 100 player servers were nice but damn they did my boys dirty. Left and came back periodically for every major update since then. Always making a new account/ingame handle. Because I can not be arsed to remember logins and passwords and it's just easier to make a new account anyways.

P.S. .4/.5 was the golden age of PR. I have fond memories of playing the star wars cantina music right as I was about to ram the bomb car into a tank or apc.
dcm is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-20, 09:33   #14
[R-MOD]Nate.
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Let's stay on topic here, please.

Nate. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-20, 15:20   #15
LiPOTO

It would be nice if FALs on Falklands and Goose green dealt damage similar to ww2 rifles, maybe they wouldn't feel like such useless peashooters anymore
LiPOTO is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-20, 21:37   #16
dcm

Man I had an awful, awful round on sbeneh ins last night. Mec iron sights night layer. The syrians won 3-0, perfect game, no caches lost. The closest I ever got to the cache was with a Saiga. Those AKs were tearing us up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiPOTO View Post
It would be nice if FALs on Falklands and Goose green dealt damage similar to ww2 rifles, maybe they wouldn't feel like such useless peashooters anymore
Wouldn't be a bad idea tbh. But just to the chest. I dont want a tarkov type situation where everyone is going for leg meta.

I forget do the brits and argies get body armor on falklands or not?
Old 2022-01-20, 21:54   #17
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coalz101 View Post
You forgot your favourite map, Kafr Halab (Alt layer specifically)
Kafr Halab Ins is mostly AK vs AK. Yes there is the option of battle rifles for each faction on alt layer, but they are rarely used. I only see Insurgent officers and Syrian combat engineers using FALs because they have to. I dont play kafr aas at all.

Quote:
and Beirut where neither side has scopes and honestly in that case G3 surpasses AK atleast at anything above 30 meters once you single fire it. I honestly can recall a recent encounter of Muttrah where I was using G3 with irons and managed to down an american burst firing m16 at me in close range (Without ADS) could be share luck but any data is good data in an uncontrolled environment.
The AK74(and derivatives) is my least favorite assault rifle platform in the game. But even so, I'm competent enough with it at 50-200m. I do find RUS vs MEC maps more balanced as a rule. I dont know why though.

Muttrah is another story. If Americans had full autos like the IDF does then you wouldn't have survived. The three round burst(bullshit!) limiter really clamps on the combat potential of the US factions. Chad Fully Automatic > Virgin Burst Fire.

Quote:
I personally think G3 is fine on slower pace maps with less, but not absolutely no, CQC action. It encourages a different type of game strategy rather than just charge, like a bat out of hell, into a CQC battle and pray that the element of surprise is in your favour. Just do what Suchar said. "Improvise, Adapt, Overcome"
Slower pace means with Scopes. As was stated earlier; The G3 on scoped layers has no problem matching and/or exceeding the combat potential scoped assault rifles.

I cant slow down. I like my combat fast and furious. That is why when I'm ever on mec. I always go for Breacher, MG3 or MP5. The G3 just aint that good on the cramped streets of muttrah or fallujah or wherever.
Old 2022-01-20, 22:17   #18
[R-DEV]Suchar
PR:BF2 QA Lead

Demanding gameplay changes due to being unable to adapt play style to the current circumstances does not sound convincing, at all.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/uploads/signatures/sigpic98978_4.gif
Suchar is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2022-01-21, 01:57   #19
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suchar View Post
Demanding gameplay changes due to being unable to adapt play style to the current circumstances does not sound convincing, at all.
Really? Then why did you boost the cycle speed of bolt action rifles? Before the buff the kar98k especially, was so damn unusable. I had to formulate ambush tactics to succeed. Now I dont have to rely on getting the jump on the enemy as much anymore. I can go toe-to-toe with garands in cqb. Same is true for modern day factions that use bolt actions. The lee-enfield is especially good.
Old 2022-01-21, 06:01   #20
[R-MOD]FFG
Forum Moderator
Supporting Member

Quote:
Really? Then why did you boost the cycle speed of bolt action rifles? Before the buff the kar98k especially, was so damn unusable. I had to formulate ambush tactics to succeed. Now I dont have to rely on getting the jump on the enemy as much anymore. I can go toe-to-toe with garands in cqb. Same is true for modern day factions that use bolt actions. The lee-enfield is especially good.
I don't know if you've seen someone shooting a bolt action like an enfield with proficiency, but they current ingame RoF is pretty close to on par with the reality of a seasoned shooter with bolt actions.

FFG is offline Reply With Quote