Go Back   Project Reality Forums > News / Announcements > PR Highlights
03 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Highlights Highlights of what work the Devs are currently working on

Closed Thread

Old 2011-09-30, 15:09   #11
Von_Gnome
Default Re: PR DEV Interview [R-DEV]Nosferatu

"Hi, I'm going to take over Project Reality, resistance is futile, giving me blue tags is the only option. Cheers.", [R-DEV]Rhino replied with "OK, we will think about it."

XD
Old 2011-10-04, 03:58   #12
DDS
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]psychickactivity View Post
My job is to keep the bar high and your job is to whoop all those Blufor candy asses across PR maps. The sweetest music for me is thunder of guns in Kashan Desert, chopper rattle in Beirut harbor and cheering when Russian faction wins the round, I want you to keep it like that. This is our time, time to show that we, Opfor guys, will not give up and fade away. This is our uprising, launch PR, grab AK and raise some hell!

Thank you, psychikactivity, thanks to community, thanks to the team. Keep it real.
Nice interview. It's really cool to hear contributors and developers describe their attitude about PR projects. The amount of work that is done really shows. I am SO EXCITED about the future of PRA2

Tactical Gamer was an Excellent Server. Yeah that's right, I said that, go a head and BAN ME from your server now!
Old 2011-10-20, 17:35   #13
Jonathan_Archer_nx01

Quote:
And this is the problem with ArmA and our genre as a whole - nowadays players don't demand for more, they're in fear of changes, fear of revolutions, fear of new thinking
I believe the neverending pursuit after 100% realism is a part of that problem. I belive the name Project Reality limits the options of what can be done with this genre.

In my opinion, it should be treated as an RTS where one player is just a single unit, realism should be secondary. "Project Reality" makes people whine about something not being like real life way too often.

Maybe it's just me, but I honestly think that PR should at some point go sci-fi to open new possibilities for never-before-seen innovation.
Old 2011-10-20, 17:41   #14
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Archer_nx01 View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I honestly think that PR should at some point go sci-fi to open new possibilities for never-before-seen innovation.
An interesting idea. Though Project Reality stands for realistic gaming. Going sci-fi can easily get you into Star Wars sci-fi. Perhaps ArmA III will be a good example of sci-fi game with a realistic touch...

Old 2011-10-20, 18:46   #15
Jonathan_Archer_nx01

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]AfterDune View Post
An interesting idea. Though Project Reality stands for realistic gaming. Going sci-fi can easily get you into Star Wars sci-fi. Perhaps ArmA III will be a good example of sci-fi game with a realistic touch...
Actually, I had Star Wars: Battlefront - like gameplay in my mind, but much more complex and with more conventional weaponary (kind of like Battlestar Galactica).

It may sound like joke, but I've been seriously thinking about it for a while and since nobody is likely to make such a game in the next 20 years, I'd better start working on it myself I've got hundreds of pages of ideas, some features in short then:
  • Combat in space and on planets below at the same time; superlarge scale; slower pacing; at least 128 player support.
  • Large capital ships with detailed interiors and NPC's serving as more than eye-candies(reloading batteries, rearming&reparing player-controlled fighters, putting out fires, NPC's automatically chattering in control rooms, advising to human players etc...)
  • Boarding vessels for transporting marines and boarding enemy capital ships.
  • Fighters, bombers, etc...
  • Focus on tactics & coordination through roleplaying - commanders, captains, CAG's, etc...; complex interface with numerous tactical options especially for commbanders.
  • Ground battles with many RTS elements - constructible bases for each team; ground structures that can attack targets in orbit and change the odds of space combat.
  • Vehicle customization; specific structure - dependent vehicles; limited vehicles as "squad rewards" instead of the usual "first come first served", small capital ships as squad rewards in limited numbers.
  • Complex destruction and vehicle damage model; capital ships with hundreds of destructible hull panels and sub-systems(both from inside and outside); small vehicles with damage model inspired by flightsims - IL2-Sturmovik for instance.
...plus more, but you get the basic idea. How much manpower is that^^ btw?

Anyway, I have to apologize for my previous post. Now, that I'm reading it, it sounds like I was telling the PR devs to do such a game for me. But I really just wanted to suggest they might not want to use this bullet-proof realism as a game-defining feature in the future, it can be contra-productive sometimes. I believe large scale and deep complexity are more important when you want to distinquish yourself from mainstream garbage and make a game that feels clever and amazingly sandbox-ish.
Last edited by Jonathan_Archer_nx01; 2011-10-20 at 19:19..
Old 2011-10-20, 19:03   #16
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I like it. You might want to take that into its own thread even, if you wish to discuss that even more .

Old 2011-10-21, 07:51   #17
Nosferatu
Retired PR Developer

Put this in professional design document, Jonathan, and start working on it.
Idea of this game was actually in the air since Relic's The Outfit.

"In addition to his other Asiatic characteristics, the Russian have no regard for human life and is an all out son of bitch, barbarian, and chronic drunk" - General Patton : A Soldier's Life

If violence isn't the answer, then you obviously need more violence.
Closed Thread

Tags
dev, interview, rdevnosferatu