project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:WWII General Discussion
23 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:WWII General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality WWII modification.

Old 2021-10-31, 01:08   #11
dcm
Default Re: WW2 sucks for the germans

You guys are putting personal feelings ahead of fun and gameplay.

WW2 is played only slightly more frequently than Vietnam, and then only a select few maps that are fun for both teams. Mainly Carentan and Omaha. Reichswald and Merville suck!

Carentan depending on the layer can be fun for both teams. Personally I only like carentan as americans when the left side of the map is in play. It's better for germans when the right side of the map is in play.

Omaha is okay on most layers(except night, fuck night layers, cant get shit on omaha night). Although germans have a serious disadvantage due to the lack of logis and tanks. Realism aside I believe that is something that should be fixed. The only time when germans win is when they spam mortars. I should know, I dropped over 100 ammo bags in a single round to my mortarman last night on wn71. We were lucky to have access to a trans truck to bring us ammo. But that's not a fun way to win. I was bored out my mind the entire round. My brain physically began to hurt. I wanted to go out and fight. Not be an ammo bitch.

Reichswald on the other hand is awful for the germans. It's a bf2 styled conquest double assault map. Because of the lack of infantry firepower, the germans are at a huge disadvantage. I literally went on a 20 kill streak on that map with M1 garand. I wasn't even trying. That's how advantageous semi auto fire power is on that map.

Merville has a contrasting but similar problem. The battery itself is impossible to assault as americans. The germans have so many emplacements. They can camp there the entire round. Rarely do germans leave the safety of the battery and attack descannville, because it's not worth it. Only the bored and the insane on the german team actually rush the US flag. The only time I've seen germans lose that flag is when they abandoned it. And when it's gone it's impossible to cap it back. The americans dont even need the emplacements to hold the flag from the german counterattack at all.

Vietnam has the same problem but worse. The only fun nam map for both teams is Charlie's Point. Everything else is just boring. Not even Xiangshan could make vietnam fun. Ia Drang, Tad Sae, Barracuda all have their own problems. The latter two maps are only slightly better in modern day settings.
Old 2021-10-31, 10:07   #12
[R-CON]​Frontliner
PR:BF2 Contributor

It's quite bold of you to have the nerve to attempt at disqualifying what I said as "personal feelings". I gave you a pretty comprehensive explanation of the thought process involved and, in addition to that, was refuting some the points you mentioned.
I'll be frank: I have absolutely no desire to honour your "personal feelings" on this matter.

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Old 2021-10-31, 10:36   #13
dcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
It's quite bold of you to have the nerve to attempt at disqualifying what I said as "personal feelings". I gave you a pretty comprehensive explanation of the thought process involved and, in addition to that, was refuting some the points you mentioned.
I'll be frank: I have absolutely no desire to honour your "personal feelings" on this matter.
If a mode or faction aint fun to play, then nobody will play it. Look at falklands. I hate that shit cause being british inf aint fun. Only asset whores like falklands. Unless it's vehicle warfare most of the team is stuck fighting on the ground and in relative close quarters. The argie fal can go full auto which is great for repelling enemy inf in a bind or for storming a position. Goose green is pain for the brits. I hate running submachine guns in modern/near modern conflicts but I have to in falklands because there's no better way to clear out a barn or house or entire village as the brits.

The US has a huge combat advantage with the M1 garand. They dont really even need to use the bar to lay down suppressive fire. Because the garand is so good. I was playing a round earlier today on brecourt and we held first cap for over half the game because it was impossible for the germans to assault us with inf and halftracks. They only managed to cap the first point when their tanks spawned and our tanks were too late to the party. The teams were pretty balanced imo. I feel bad for players stuck on the german team, because I know how unfun it can be, being stuck with a slow firing weapon. Some people here may not care about players on the opposing team but I do. Because I want a fair and fun game. PR is best when both teams are balanced in skill and equipment. Without resorting to mirror balancing. Insurgency being the only exception, because it's fun as shit doing unconventional tactics. When you aint punished for being opfor(Hamas>Insurgents).
Old 2021-10-31, 17:45   #14
InfantryGamer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcm View Post
PR is best when both teams are balanced in skill and equipment.
Which for WW2 is not possible, because of differences in doctrines and tactics that each IRL faction had that translate into there weapon capabilities.

Quote:
Insurgency being the only exception, because it's fun as shit doing unconventional tactics.
And like everybody told you here (ok do not know what Grump wrote as I really can not read that long wall of text) each WW2 faction and subfaction has it own specific conventional tactics.
Old 2021-10-31, 22:45   #15
robert357

Well, it is possible to balance WW2 theatre. Just give everyone Thomsons/MP40 and M1/G43. WE DID IT! We solved the problem that everyone have because modern games usually let you get any weapon for every faction or just have automatics so player instead of adapt to the situation they will adapt gun to situation so... Come on! You have different tools so use them appropriately, don't use hammer as a screwdriver.
Old 2021-11-01, 18:35   #16
SemlerPDX
PR Server License Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfantryGamer42 View Post
Which for WW2 is not possible, because of differences in doctrines and tactics that each IRL faction had that translate into there weapon capabilities.
This could be said for most any conflict, to be fair.

Old 2021-11-01, 20:08   #17
InfantryGamer42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemlerPDX View Post
This could be said for most any conflict, to be fair.
True, as we can see that in both PR WW2, Vietnam and Falklands. But for most of world today (as that was comparation base for my comment), GPMG (alternatively light 5.xx mm MG) represents base of fire for INF squad whit 5.xx mm rifles and DMR.
Old 2021-11-01, 21:43   #18
[R-CON]​Frontliner

1/8 of the team total between two guys, on Reichswald, the definition of a CQB map. Sure enough Cpt and I weren't using the Kar98k, but - outside of Xenisis who I am reasonably sure is new to the game - the other Kar98k users were over the [2 : 3] kill-death-ratio I'm expecting them to have. And if the others can make up for the lack of firepower on the Kar98k, I'm having a hard time labeling the setup as imbalanced.
Crazy had less kills than any of the Kar98ers even though I gave him the StG 44 on purpose knowing Cpt was likely to perform as per usual and I wanted somebody else with good enough CQB weaponry next to myself. In other words, performing well does not solely depend on the main firearm, but the functioning of the squad as a whole, how people communicate, the tactics involved, whether or not we're adhering towards how the game itself function; naturally having an experienced squad makes this shine through even more clearly when it works. Disregarding Xenisis for a moment, Cpt by himself had more kills than the squad had deaths, hell, even counting in these deaths he tied our Squad KDR almost all by himself.

Quote:
They are completely outgunned by the m1 garand's semi auto firepower."
No.

/closethread

VTRaptor: but i only stopped for less than 10 secs and that fucking awesome dude put 2 of them
]CIA[ SwampFox: well my definition of glitching is using an enemy kit to kill the enemy
Just_Dave: i have a list about PR players, and they r categorized by their skill
Para: You sir are an arse and not what the game or our community needs.
AlonTavor: Is that a German trying to make me concentrate?
Heavy Death: join PRTA instead - Teamwork is a must there.
Old 2021-11-02, 16:26   #19
[R-CON]​Chuva_RD
PR Server License Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontliner View Post
In other words, performing well does not solely depend on the main firearm, but the functioning of the squad as a whole, how people communicate, the tactics involved, whether or not we're adhering towards how the game itself function; naturally having an experienced squad makes this shine through even more clearly when it works.
In short, if you can quickscope, the tactic works.
Old 2021-11-02, 17:20   #20
Brotherscompany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grump/Gump.45 View Post
Change our ways or keep sucking.
This is quite funny coming from Grump