project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Objects
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2012-08-29, 14:46   #11
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Static] New House [WIP]

Please post update also in the thread, not only in the first post. It may be good to post it also in 1st post, as someone how would discover this would get an idea how far the model without reading whole thread, but please post it also in the thread.

Now you need to rework the floor. As I see it now, you have one quad going across multiple rooms, under walls. This can leed to lightbleed, as seen for example here (though this one is most probably caused by bad lightmap UVs).
What you need to do is to delete the whole floor and then rebuilding by bridging together edges in each room. You should end with floor polygons only in rooms where they will be visible, not under walls. It will make tri count higher, but its the only way to prevent lightbleed like this.

Similar ones are walls, that are also where they shouldnt be visible. This may also lead to lightbleed. Probably best to get rid of them, too.

If you would leave them that way, light could "bleed" through the wall.

Other than that its looking good, i think you should switch to 3ds max rather sooner than later, though.

PS: No need to fill in "reason" every time you edit your post, unless its a reason that should be known. The reasons you type there look kinda funny

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 15:18   #12
Psyko

cheers rhino
Psyko is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 15:22   #13
Elirah

Well, until now I didnt know anything about that bleed. How does it occur?
This actually leads into higher Tris. Is the bleed otherwise avoidable?
The marked areas I made, to lower the Tricount...

3Ds Max is pain in the ass. Need a bit to learn how to work with it. Editing the mesh is much more easier in Blender than it is in 3Ds Max.

Something I want to know about too:

If I use the texture palettes, is there a possibility to render Ambient Occlusion on it? The floore is unwrapped on the pallets without using its own uv-image?
Something just came into my mind I learned in one of the tutorials, where this bleeding happens due buffed shadows, which can be reduces by using ambient occlusion where the bleed is darkened again.
However, if you lightmap it in 3Ds Max, is there now possibility to render it with rayshadows onto the shaddowmap?

Greetings Elirah
Last edited by Elirah; 2012-08-29 at 15:35..
Old 2012-08-29, 15:33   #14
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elirah View Post
Well, until now I didnt know anything about that bleed. How does it occur?
This actually leads into higher Tris. Is the bleed otherwise avoidable?
higher tris are worth it if it for cutting down on unseen face space and fixing other issues like texture bleeding etc.

some info on pixel bleeding: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...-bleeding.html

One way to solve pixel bleeding, is with custom LM UVs, which can dramatically increase the quality and reduce the size of building LMs, but at the same time in order to really make an impact with custom LM UVs you really need a good mesh that's all welded up so you can take advantage of this.

I would personally weld up the floor with your walls, as while yes it adds quite a lot of extra tris, the end result both in terms of the mesh and the lightmaps is soo much better and worth the extra tris than one massive floor area that covers all the rooms.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 15:38   #15
Elirah

Well, thanks Rhino, I know that info of yours, I read nearly all of your tut's and info.

I'll redo the mesh, again. =)
Elirah is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 17:27   #16
Elirah

Soo, before I'll make the floor, I got a question:

Currently I made changes to where the walls are, deleted corners which did'nt add anything important to the mesh, so without the floor I reduced again the Tricount which is currently 714.
However, I painted in red, where i would add the floorgeometry. Now the question: Is this optimized? This is what i currently can think of is the best with the lowest tricount I can think of. But maybe you teach me again something important I can learn of.

Greetings Elirah.
And so far, thanks a lot for you help.

Edit: Another question: Is BF2 able to handle doublesided faces?
Old 2012-08-29, 18:03   #17
Doc.Pock

Quote:
no except for undergrowght.
Doc.Pock is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-29, 18:05   #18
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Ye although just to be clear it should be this, which is probably what you mean by the above just want to make sure we are on the same page

Quote:
Yes but not for staticobjects like these.

If you want a double sided faces you need to clone the faces and flip them

Quote:
Originally Posted by [USF]Doc.Pock View Post
no except for undergrowght.
Undergrowth are one sided, Overgrowth leaves on the hand are two sided, but only in a certain setup.

Old 2012-08-29, 19:30   #19
Elirah

Hmm...
You already made tris, which I thought they are made when I'm converting it (as lucky.BOY told me).
Now I'm confused.
Old 2012-08-29, 21:01   #20
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

You can work in tris, quads, ngons (although not a very good idea) or a mixture of all the above.

The export script will turn the model fully into tris on export when it goes to BF2, as BF2 has to be in tris, but if the model already has tris then it just keeps the user defined tri, rather than working it out for itself.

Working in quads (where you can) is mostly better for work flow, as its easier to select rings and loops etc, and when dealing with sub-division modelling you pretty much have to work in quads for the smoothing to work correctly.

Tags
house, poxo is ghey, static, wip