project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Modding Tutorials
16 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Modding Tutorials Information and tutorials related to modding BF2.

Old 2012-08-24, 01:56   #11
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Info] Making an Airbase

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Outlawz7 View Post
Really? Because we have objects in PR that have UV tiling over 2000 *cough*
Ye, that error however is for channels not used by that material on those static. Even in those cases thou It isn't good for performance even if its on a channel with a material you can't see (some are all dummy materials/textures, like null_c.dds etc).

If you try to tile over 16 times on a channel your material is using, the texture it gets screwed up (don't have any examples right now). It is possible to change the "GeometryTemplate.maxTextureRepeat 16" to 32 or some other number, but I've seen adverse affects from doing this when I tried it on Camp Bastion and overall, was much simpler just to split up the UVs which tbh, is pretty damn easy to do.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 07:13   #12
Stemplus

What if I take the camp bastion airbase system and modify it a bit? So it is a bit smaller, but still realistic

PS I still don't understand the problem that my map isn't where Camp Bastion is, since my map is located in fictional location, so I can change a few lines in the topic to fit the need TBH the main idea behind the map is that Iran invades Afghanistan (who cares why), and all the forces stationed in it defend it (or pretty much defend themself ). So, let's say that my map can be everywhere in the central, south and west afghanistan.
Stemplus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-24, 07:20   #13
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Fictional map means you should really use a Fictional airbase, not one that is associated with a place/area then the area around it not matching it. I don't really see Camp Bastion's layout working too well on other maps too tbh.

Airbases are not that hard to make btw, do take a bit of time but Camp Bastion took me a month, but that was like making 2 airbases and I had to make all the textures and get the new shaders in, setup etc
Falklands I did in a couple of days although it didn't have any taxiway lines etc (due to the airbase/airport it was based off).

A new-ish static modeller with a not too complicated air base design I reckon could make one in a month, possibly two. If you get the ball rolling now and find someone to model you an airbase then I don't see a problem?

Old 2012-11-07, 21:59   #14
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

How does one exactly go about UVing one of these? More specifically I want to UV it to detail texture, i have it in one nice cluster, but i dont know how to efficiently get it up to scale with the texture? I am trying to uniform scale it, but it goes by too big steps, i cant get the scale just right. and if i would use freeform, it maybe could be acheived, but it would take a load of time and eyeballing.. How do you do it, Rhino?

Also i am not sure how to UV all those taxiway and runway markings onto one rencatngle on the color texture, do i need to go one by one, or can they be UVed all at once somehow?

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 01:34   #15
Grober

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Coding
Main things you need to add in the coding is the col meshes materials, which for concrete should be material 78 and for stairs_concrete should be material 34. On top of that you need to add the anchor of, note, X and Z you can change to w/e but Y is important to be -0.05, or something around there so it snaps 0.05m above the terrain when a mapper places it, that keep in mind is assuming the object's pivot is in line with the top surface of the runway:
Code:
ObjectTemplate.anchor 0/-0.05/0
Next you need to add the dirt in by simply adding into the tweak file:
Code:
rem -------------------------------------
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate *name of the dirt object*
ObjectTemplate.setPosition 0/-0.1/0
Also you need to add supply objects for jet/helicopter resupply and repair, which is done though coding supply objects, which is fairly simple of just adding in the following code in the .tweak file:
Code:
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate *object name*_SupplyObject_*Type and number*
ObjectTemplate.setPosition *x/y/z*

ObjectTemplate.create SupplyObject *object name*_SupplyObject_*Type and number*
ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "*Your Name*"
ObjectTemplate.createdInEditor 1
ObjectTemplate.floaterMod 0
ObjectTemplate.hasMobilePhysics 0
ObjectTemplate.radius *in meters*
ObjectTemplate.workOnSoldiers 0
ObjectTemplate.workOnVehicles 1
ObjectTemplate.healSpeed 1
ObjectTemplate.refillAmmoSpeed 2
ObjectTemplate.teamFromClosestCP 1
ObjectTemplate.addVehicleType *define number, 2 = Jets, 3 = Choppers, 5 = Jets & Choppers, 0 = Land, 1 = Sea and 4 = All*
You can also add multiple ones of the same type just by adding the same object multiple times in different locations, noting the Camp Bastion Supply object code here, you can see Jets02 is added multiple times in different locations:
Spoiler for Camp Bastion Pt1 .tweak:
Code:
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate camp_bastion_airbase_pt1_SupplyObject_Jets01
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -110/1/-300
ObjectTemplate.addTemplate camp_bastion_airbase_pt1_SupplyObject_Jets02
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -112/0/-334
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -112/0/-364
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -112/0/-394
ObjectTemplate.setPosition -112/0/-424

ObjectTemplate.create SupplyObject camp_bastion_airbase_pt1_SupplyObject_Jets01
ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "Edmund Fovargue"
ObjectTemplate.radius 20
ObjectTemplate.addVehicleType 2

ObjectTemplate.create SupplyObject camp_bastion_airbase_pt1_SupplyObject_Jets02
ObjectTemplate.modifiedByUser "Edmund Fovargue"
ObjectTemplate.radius 15
ObjectTemplate.addVehicleType 2

You should also mark out the supply locations and post it publicly with your map info post so everyone can see where they can reload, as well as putting your supply objects in sensible, realistic locations where planes/choppers would reload in r/l and not "vbf2 style in the middle of the runway".

is there a easy way to see where are those points or get some how x/y/z of some point?
Grober is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 02:56   #16
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grober View Post
is there a easy way to see where are those points or get some how x/y/z of some point?
In the editor or in max?
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 09:07   #17
Grober

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Psyrus View Post
In the editor or in max?

o rly? how
Old 2012-11-12, 09:24   #18
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grober View Post
o rly? how
No, I was asking you a question...
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-12, 11:15   #19
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

I personally place down helpers in max and find their xyz then translate them into the .con file. If your working in metric as you should be for making an object then its a straight forward cross over, other than y and z iirc, or two of the other axis are the wrong way round in the editor from max. If your working in the generic units like you need to be for doing LMing then its a matter of doing a simple x10 or /10 or something like that, can't remember 100% off the top of my head convention to make it into meters.

Old 2013-08-07, 07:22   #20
Grober
Default Airbase textures PR 1.0?

I would like to ask are textures that are in this tutorial https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...g-airbase.html now in PR 1.0? so i could use them if i would like to make a model of airbase. And if not are there some new textures that airbases are going to use?

Tags
airbase, info, making, modelling, textures