project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 General Discussion
18 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality: BF2 modification.

Closed Thread

Old 2008-05-02, 21:58   #11
MastaLock
Supporting Member

^^^ I agree. I don't think this is a good direction. Moving while firing is an important method of suppressive fire, and the total deletion of CQB doesn't seem like a good gameplay idea. I also agree that it will make people afraid to move anywhere, as if they see someone who isn't moving, then they are dead, hands-down. Sounds like assaulting the objectives would become extremely difficult as everyone would be sitting around camping on roofs, etc.
Old 2008-05-02, 22:11   #12
Spec
Retired Moderator
Supporting Member

I'm against it. It is a solution for the prone spamming problem, but i would not sacrifice any CQB for it.
Old 2008-05-02, 22:25   #13
CAS_117

This will only eliminate prone spamming from a a moving player, you can still prone spam. And TBH, if players can't shoot while moving they're going to prone spam even more.
Old 2008-05-02, 22:29   #14
Artnez[US]
Supporting Member

Disagree with this one for all the reasons listed above.

How would this affect grenades?

"Prone spam" really isn't that big a deal. People like to give things catchy names like "prone spam" and "peekabo shooting" but its not so big a deal that CQB needs to be eliminated altogether. That's just silly.
Old 2008-05-02, 22:48   #15
TheSkudDestroyer
Supporting Member

BTW, never said I agreed with it. I feel it's full of failure. But it's worth testing the idea.

Old 2008-05-02, 23:08   #16
Wolfe

Try it for yourself before jumping on the failure bandwagon. Here is the code:

ObjectTemplate.deviation.minDev 0.0045
ObjectTemplate.deviation.setFireDev 0.2 0.05 0.005
ObjectTemplate.deviation.setTurnDev 0.02 0.01 0.01 0.005
ObjectTemplate.deviation.setSpeedDev 2.2 0.5 0.5 0.05
ObjectTemplate.deviation.setMiscDev 2 2 0.05
ObjectTemplate.deviation.devModStand 30.0
ObjectTemplate.deviation.devModCrouch 24.0
ObjectTemplate.deviation.devModLie 20.0

Instructions:
  1. Go to your BF2/pr/mods/objects folder
  2. Make a copy of the objects folder (as a backup. You MUST do this or you will not be able to go back to pr.75 after making the above chances)
  3. Inside the objects folder, there is a objects_server_patch.zip file. Open it.
  4. Inside the zip, go to: weapons/handheld/usrif_m16a4
  5. Inside the usrif_m16a4 folder, open the usrif_m16a4.tweak file (use notepad to open)
  6. inside the tweak, you'll see the above code. Just replace it, and save.
  7. After saving, you will be prompted to update the .zip archive. Click yes. (if it doesn't archive correctly, make sure you have winrar or winzip installed on your system. You may also need to open the .zip through these programs rather than just by clicking on them)
  8. Load up PR and test the m16 scoped rifle with the new code.

Note that you'll have to completely stop BF2 and restart after each code change. Also note this is just experimental, not an actual proposal to insert this code into the game... it's only a proof of concept. Try it out and report back.

Edit:
self-suppression is an issue in the current build; firing while moving causes you to suppress yourself, but just ignore that because in future releases, suppression will not kick in for at least 20 meters from the source.
Last edited by Wolfe; 2008-05-02 at 23:15..
Old 2008-05-02, 23:34   #17
HughJass

needz moar pollz, but other then that good idea. I (as a tester) would like to try it out and see how it plays.
Old 2008-05-02, 23:41   #18
Wolfe

(need to reduce max deviation from 180deg to about 65deg)
(need to decrease burst fire deviation)
(need to increase accuracy time slightly)

Going to make these changes and test some more to increase CQB fighting.

In the meantime, just remember that the above code is extreme to prove the point that it can be done. So when you fire and hit your toes and the sky, don't post back in here and say it's screwed. It's experimental.
Old 2008-05-03, 00:06   #19
Wolfe

just discovered there are separate values for x and y axis, meaning you can make moving forward while scoped accurate, but make strafing inaccurate.

..testing further..
Old 2008-05-03, 00:07   #20
JT1990

Would it be possible to have delay on firing when entering the prone position, like when you warm up the mounted machinguns?
Closed Thread

Tags
100%, eliminate, move or shoot, prone, sacrifice, spam