project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:BF2 Support
16 Jul 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Support Help and support regarding PR:BF2 installation and in-game issues

Old 2012-11-20, 00:13   #11
DDS
Supporting Member

Default Re: Windows 8 And Project Reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]LITOralis.nMd View Post
DDS, I'm asking a lot here, but can you list the group of Windows Updates you installed that caused mumble overlay to fail?

With that list we'll be able to reconstruct wtf is causing the problem by process of elimination.

Also DDS< please list your system specs so we know what we're looking at.

cheers,
I'm going to reconstruct again by re-installing windows 8 on another image I have saved using linux FOG. I'll install bf2/pr and mumble and keep an eye on what happens and report "it" here.

Thanks,

DDS

Tactical Gamer was an Excellent Server. Yeah that's right, I said that, go a head and BAN ME from your server now!
DDS is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 19:53   #12
chris2005
Supporting Member

I am having the same problem. No overlay for PR on Windows 8. I start PR Mumble before PR and as an administrator.
chris2005 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 09:51   #13
andreas07

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS View Post
Gee great that yours is working like a charm.

"it" = what exactly.. ?

pr & mumble
mumble & windows
pr & mumble w/overlay?

On must understand that ESP mod is not installed in this forum
No, actually only PR, mumble and windows but not mumble w/overlay. So still problems with mumble overlay in windows 8. Also I haven't activated windows 8.
andreas07 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 21:02   #14
Wicca
Supporting Member

I think the overlay problem might be a driver or similar issue. Basically, i had issues with overlay and windows 7. But a simple restart or reinstallation of my GFX driver/programs made it work.

Xact Wicca is The Joker. That is all.
Wicca is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 21:18   #15
andreas07

Hm, maybe. But I installed FRESH copy of windows 8 then Vcredist and 1) BF2 ; 2) PR ; 3) Map pack, Falklands, Vietnam ; 4) PRmumble ; 5) teamspeak and then I tried the game, it worked but no mumble overlay then I installed video drivers, thought that maybe mumble overlay has some conflict with windows video driver, but no, still didn't work.
Old 2012-11-24, 11:43   #16
chris2005
Supporting Member

Any news on this? Are there people running PR on Win8 NOT having this issue?
Old 2012-11-25, 02:26   #17
DDS
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]Wicca View Post
I think the overlay problem might be a driver or similar issue. Basically, i had issues with overlay and windows 7. But a simple restart or reinstallation of my GFX driver/programs made it work.
This is what I think as well. I did an upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 and overlay was working and played a couple games. I forgot to deactivate windows upgrade feature. About 75 items updated. I rolled them back but something got removed/overwritten. I'll give this a go this weekend. I really like windows 8 as far as performance.

Find out what that is and we can solve this.

Tactical Gamer was an Excellent Server. Yeah that's right, I said that, go a head and BAN ME from your server now!
DDS is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-25, 10:53   #18
chris2005
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS View Post
This is what I think as well. I did an upgrade from Windows 7 to 8 and overlay was working and played a couple games. I forgot to deactivate windows upgrade feature. About 75 items updated. I rolled them back but something got removed/overwritten. I'll give this a go this weekend. I really like windows 8 as far as performance.

Find out what that is and we can solve this.
Me too. I really like Windows 8's performance. I'll wait for your results and don't rollback to Windows 7 yet.

FYI: I did a clean Windows 8 install.
Old 2012-11-25, 13:57   #19
DDS
Supporting Member

Update:

Okay I reinstalled windows 7 from scratch. Not just for this as I have a linux server running FOG (free Opensource Ghost) and wanted to have an image uploaded anyway. I might post a thread on how to install FOG as 45 minute image download is way faster than a 4 hour Windows install. I love how much faster apps pop in Windows 8. Used to have this lag when Alt+Tabbing out of game. Not anymore. Anywho..

So I upgraded to Windows 8. For some reason I cant do a clean install as my DVD drive wont read very far into Windows 8 disk I burned. So I did exactly as before after mumble (and overlay) and PR installed and working. This time with upgrade off and overlay did not work. I worked up from 2005 to 2010 installing vcredist_x64 C++ libraries and service packs from saved files. That didn't work. Let Windows upgrade only 2010 C++ libraries. Nope. Upgraded my video drivers to newest Windows 8. Still not working. Made sure I ran mumble and PR as admin with different compatibility settings (Win7, XP, Vista). Nada. I need to think more on this. Puzzling

LITOralis.nMd I forgot to give system specs (sorry about that):

OS Name Microsoft Windows 8 Pro
Version 6.2.9200 Build 9200
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name PDTPC
System Manufacturer System manufacturer
System Model System Product Name
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Processor AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor, 3400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 2104, 6/28/2010
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Embedded Controller Version 255.255
BIOS Mode Legacy
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Desktop
Secure Boot State Unsupported
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.2.9200.16442"
User Name PDTPC\Paul
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 8.00 GB
Available Physical Memory 6.76 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 14.6 GB
Page File Space 8.00 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

Last edited by DDS; 2012-11-25 at 14:04..
Old 2012-11-26, 20:27   #20
andreas07

Good work DDS, would love to help solve this problem, but don't have time to install windows 8 again and stuff, because I need to do clan stuff daily. Main reason why I rolled back to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit was that overlay was working, it might seem funny, but I can't play without it. So thank you DDS. MAYBE one day I'll do this again and help you out, but yeah Windows 8 is best so far but its performance.

Tags
fix, mumble, overlay, project, reality, windows