project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Faction Archives > Norwegian Forces
12 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Norwegian Forces Discussion pertaining to the PR Norwegian Forces faction.

Old 2010-06-07, 21:28   #11
Z-trooper
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: [Vehicle] Scania P-93 [WIP]

Depth is hard to achieve. Obviously you can make the groove deeper on the high poly, or you can increase the softness of the high poly - giving it a larger gradient to look deeper over. An AO map baked from the high poly helps a lot too.

#2. I suspect that it is the compression of the normal map format. I assume you bake to .tga? try removing the checker in the box "compress".

"Without geometry, life is pointless"
Old 2010-06-07, 21:35   #12
munky91

Hm, compress was unchecked. And 16 bit vs 24 bit didn't seem to do anything. Only other options are alpha-split and pre-multiplied alpha, but those probably don't have anything to do with it.
Exporting as bmp gets rid of the noise, I could just do that. BMP has no compression right?
Old 2010-06-07, 21:41   #13
Z-trooper
Retired PR Developer

Correct. Sounds weird though. Will research it, as I remember having this issue some time ago - and now I've obviously forgotten what it was about.

EDIT: seems it was a 16bit issue. I was stupid back then and forgot to change back the setting from 16bit. These days I have it set on 32 bit just to make sure hehe

"Without geometry, life is pointless"
Old 2010-06-13, 18:53   #14
munky91

Work continues, got the proportions better, adding more details. Got a job working at a restaurant this week too, I feel like this is the busiest summer I've ever had. New pic in first post.
Old 2010-06-13, 22:01   #15
AquaticPenguin

For normal mapping I found this was quite useful. AO map will probably get the depth that the normal map can't achieve. Alternatively texturing some highlights in places might work.

Just curious, in bf2 am I right in thinking normal maps are only used when textures are set max? Does this mean it's best to use a mixture of smoothing groups + normal maps for details, since on lower settings a fully smoothed model + normal map would produce artifacts.

Anyway /derail

EDIT: actually I forgot to mention - Bloody nice model so far, keep up the good work
Old 2010-06-14, 09:16   #16
andy1123

nice one
Old 2010-06-14, 13:18   #17
Gore
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

oh yeah baby, scania rocks.

Old 2010-07-12, 20:14   #18
pleym
PR:BF2 Developer

Any progress here munky91? "long time no see"

PR:BF2 Mapper
Old 2010-07-12, 22:10   #19
munky91

Not recently, need to get in the modeling groove. I need to make a schedule to help get myself motivated before the summer flies right by me.
Old 2010-07-13, 02:27   #20
Zulnex
Supporting Member

Very nice work. Keep it up.

Tags
p93, scania, vehicle, wip