project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2023-11-30, 12:50   #11
[R-COM]ismaelassassin
Chilean Forces 1978 Faction Lead

Default Re: PR: The Great War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multi View Post
Yeah, I understand. We could also rename the auto-rifleman to some sort of "assault" class with submachine guns or stocked pistols like dcm1 mentioned before, especially for the germans since it's difficult to implement a self-loading rifle while making sense historically
thats the breacher and granadier roles. DONT USE SELF-LOADING RIFLES!!!!!

ismaelassassin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-01, 02:56   #12
[R-CON]​Multi
PR:BF2 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismaelassassin View Post
thats the breacher and granadier roles. DONT USE SELF-LOADING RIFLES!!!!!
Grenadier? The grenadier uses rifle grenades, I don't understand your point

In regards to the breacher, again, we will have the issue of breacher kits having submachine guns, auto-riflemen having LMGs while the entire rest of the faction is only utilizing bolt action rifles, which is gonna make the breacher kit and auto-riflemen way too overpowered and probably have balancing issues

"Supimos dar la vida por nuestras Malvinas, y sabremos dar muerte a quien pretenda arrebatarlas."
Multi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-01, 12:32   #13
robert357

SMG are not overpowered when everyone is using bolt action rifles. Take a look what is going on in WWII maps. It looks like this: MG>semiautomatic rifles>bolt action rifles>SMG>pistols>poo on stick>M1 Carbine. Bolt action rifles are usually one-hit-kill-guarantee-weapon (rarely it wont kill if you hit hand or foot). So if one main kit will have SMG it won't change much.
robert357 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-01, 14:56   #14
[R-COM]ismaelassassin
Chilean Forces 1978 Faction Lead

Quote:
Grenadier? The grenadier uses rifle grenades, I don't understand your point
granades are used for assaulting and granade launchers is not a thing of ww1. it would be like vietnam granadier that has multiple granades

ismaelassassin is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-01, 15:51   #15
[R-CON]​PotatoLord

I'm going to be honest and just say WW1 might not be a good starter project for PR modding, I've talked it over with a lot of people and basically concluded that while WW1 theoretically could work in PR you would have to make a lot of unprecedented changes to the core gameplay in both design and development.

While being unique in content and mechanics is certainly not a bad thing, the amount of work required to design those (mostly the gameplay mechanics) for a WW1 setting far outpaces any other setting ever planned or implemented, I'm talking about how some current devs feel like they themselves could not make this work.

It's my genuine opinion that the odds are really stacked against you here, that probably sucks to hear but it'd also suck to dedicate time and effort to something that probably won't pan out how you intend it to.

If you do choose to go on in spite of this (which I will have to unfortunately caution against) instead of choosing another more traditional setting to develop, I can give some suggestions on how you could make a WW1 setting work in PR in both historical accuracy and gameplay (which are both criteria you will need to meet to have your work be accepted) that I've gathered from a discussion the devs had about this.
PotatoLord is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-01, 18:44   #16
[R-CON]​Multi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismaelassassin View Post
granade launchers is not a thing of ww1.
Rifle grenades existed and were used in WW1 (tromblon VB for example for the french Lebel rifle)
Old 2023-12-01, 18:45   #17
[R-CON]​Multi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoLord View Post
I can give some suggestions on how you could make a WW1 setting work in PR in both historical accuracy and gameplay (which are both criteria you will need to meet to have your work be accepted) that I've gathered from a discussion the devs had about this.
Sure, feel free to share them

"Supimos dar la vida por nuestras Malvinas, y sabremos dar muerte a quien pretenda arrebatarlas."
Old 2023-12-01, 20:19   #18
robert357

Quote:
I've talked it over with a lot of people and basically concluded that while WW1 theoretically could work in PR you would have to make a lot of unprecedented changes to the core gameplay in both design and development.
It's true for western front but not so for eastern front
robert357 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-01, 20:57   #19
dcm1

Quote:
Yeah, I understand. We could also rename the auto-rifleman to some sort of "assault" class with submachine guns or stocked pistols like dcm1 mentioned before, especially for the germans since it's difficult to implement a self-loading rifle while making sense historically
Personally I love the idea of having a a semi auto rifleman kit for every squad in pr:ww1. It fits the era perfectly, and provides a new and interesting gameplay idea. Although I would avoid weird or experimental weaponry altogether. Stuff that doesn't really fit. If you want some potential suggestions for the germans without having to resort to the mp18 or wunderwaffe like mondragon. Then why not the LP08? Aka the artillery luger? Same 32 round snail drum as the mp18. It's got a stock and it's semi auto. It can easily compete with the RSC1917/18 rifles. Also stocked pistol variants of the P08 luger and C96 would also work if you ever go back to the early war. And an 8 shot magazine variant of the LP08 would also work for an early war stormtrooper kit.
dcm1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2023-12-01, 21:12   #20
dcm1

Quote:
I'm going to be honest and just say WW1 might not be a good starter project for PR modding, I've talked it over with a lot of people and basically concluded that while WW1 theoretically could work in PR you would have to make a lot of unprecedented changes to the core gameplay in both design and development.
And that's what makse PR:WW1 new and interesting. PR needs something to freshen up the stale gameplay. As much as I love run and gun gameplay. There's something so 'pure' about bolt-action vs bolt-action gameplay. The sheer excitement and thrill of hurriedly racking the bolt. Praying that you get off you're shot first. Hoping that you dont miss. It's exhilarating. The only time I've experienced something similar in PR was a close quarters sniper battle with mosins on kafar halab insurgent layer.
dcm1 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
ww1