project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Modding Tutorials
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Modding Tutorials Information and tutorials related to modding BF2.

Old 2007-05-20, 14:55   #11
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Tricky, you need to set up loop points for the sound. As far as I know you need to do this with a program called sound forge. BF2 uses these loop points to repeat the sound on full auto.

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-03, 05:57   #12
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: For those who need help with sound

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jaymz View Post
But what I've learned is that if you want a really loud sound you need to make the actual wav file louder,
Just to add a little tip to this for those that might not know, there are two kinds of 'loudness' in a sound file ... you have 'peak' volume and 'RMS' volume.

Peak volume is the maximum amplitude that your sound file reaches ... and once this hits 0dB, you cannot go any higher. You can achieve this by 'normalizing' the file ... however once a file is normalized you cannot get anymore peak volume out of it.

RMS volume is the root mean square of the total amplitude in the track. This means that if you take the amplitude of each 'sample' slice (at 44k1Hz that is 44100 samples in a second of time), and then total them up and obtain the mean amplitude (its actually more complicated than this but I will spare you the maths jargon ), you have your RMS level.

Now perception of 'loudness' is based upon RMS level and not upon peak level, as it is perfectly possible to have transient peaks that the ear cannot hear due to the ear having a response time. Increasing RMS level is done through the use of compression or limiting. This has the effect of raising the 'quiet' parts of the sound closer to the 'loud' part of the sound .. and thus increasing the overall energy in the sound file (you can normalize the result or use make up gain to make sure you maintain your peak at 0dB). This has the effect of making the sound seem louder even though the peak has not changed.

One word of warning though ... it is possible to go too far down this path ... and to start making everything louder and louder until you really have nowhere left to go, and sonic integrity suffers as a result. The most important thing to remember is that percerption of volume is a relation ... one sound in relation to another ... and instead of turning something 'up' ... you can actually turn everything else ... 'down'.
Twisted Helix is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-04, 06:09   #13
Jaymz
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Very good post there Helix, you're in the industry obviously

"Clear the battlefield and let me see, All the profit from our victory." - Greg Lake
Jaymz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-28, 05:51   #14
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

For those doing voice overs, and wanting to get a completely DEAD and DRY sound, there is this solution here.

The New & Improved Voice Over ?Porta-Booth?

What the article describes is incredibly cheap to construct, and with a bit of ingenuity you can pretty much reduce the cost of the mic booth to 0 .

And best of all ... it works (although you will need to have a non reflective surface behind the voice artist as well).
Old 2009-02-18, 05:55   #15
Klikard

hey. im trying To make This like extra far away sound. like in battlefield vietnam. Like a second 3rd person sound When You Far away. How do i do That? thanks in advance
Klikard is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-18, 14:20   #16
Klikard
Smile How To Make Machine Gun Work

if You have Sound Forge This will help. Go to Special/region list/Insert. Then Press Region. Then Select Were You want The Sound To loop. example 0 To 2 sec
Klikard is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-20, 06:41   #17
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klikard View Post
hey. im trying To make This like extra far away sound. like in battlefield vietnam. Like a second 3rd person sound When You Far away. How do i do That? thanks in advance
A combination of things will give the perception of distance ... rolling off high frequencies, and increasing reverberation.

However the BF2 engine has this built into it in the form of EAX.
Old 2009-02-22, 22:44   #18
marcoelnk
Retired PR Developer

does anyone have some good sound reference websites (for rifles etc. ) ?

marcoelnk is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-02-23, 04:45   #19
Twisted Helix
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

You mean like sound libraries ?

Yes ... but they cost.
Old 2009-02-23, 04:50   #20
azn_chopsticks_boi