project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Coding
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2012-01-08, 15:08   #11
Hauteclocque
Retired PR Developer

Default re: [Weapon] Sako TRG-42 [WIP] [FDF]

I don't think so then, the model has already enough tris as it is. (and doesn't look low detail either)

Hauteclocque is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 15:30   #12
ukkis

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Hauteclocque View Post
I don't understand your question. :P

for fps view ?
What I mean is that should I make a weapon model that is only visible in first person view by deleting stuff that is in front of the weapon and not visible while adding more detail to ares which are right on the players face when he is carrying the weapon.

How is this usually done in PR? Is it even possible to show a different model in fps -view than what it would be in 3rd person?
Last edited by ukkis; 2012-01-08 at 15:40..
Old 2012-01-08, 15:50   #13
Hauteclocque
Retired PR Developer

The model, even in 1p should be completely modeled. It causes issues when the animations are done otherwise. Imagine the animator wants to show a particular part of the weapon during an animation, he is fucked if some parts are not modeled near this particular area.

When the weapon is exported, there are two different geometries, the geom0, which is the first person model, and the geom1 being the third person model.

The two models can and should be different, the third person model should be low tri compared to the first person model.

As I said, your model looks good enough as it is. Only fix the few points pointed in the previous posts.

Just be sure to make a good 3p model off this one, and make a set of lods.

Old 2012-01-08, 16:00   #14
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukkis View Post
What I mean is that should I make a weapon model that is only visible in first person view by deleting stuff that is in front of the weapon and not visible while adding more detail to ares which are right on the players face when he is carrying the weapon.

How is this usually done in PR?
I've just had a look at some of the PR weapons (the CF and new QBZ chinese ones from the more recent releases) and they have all the faces on the 1p view. I assume this is largely to do with animating flexibility, as if you were to delete certain faces based on a specific reloading style, and say they wanted to change it later... the animator might be heavily constrained by not being able to show certain areas of the model due to deleted faces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukkis View Post
Is it even possible to show a different model in fps -view than what it would be in 3rd person?
Yes, pretty much every weapon has the 1p view (geom 0, with a lod0 for unzoomed and an extra lod1 with enlarged scope for 3d scopes), and then geom 1 which is the 3p view which has 1-3 LODs.

Here's the CF C7 ironsight.
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 16:30   #15
ukkis

Ok thanks for your answers.
ukkis is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 17:35   #16
Hauteclocque
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyrus View Post
(the CF and new QBZ chinese ones from the more recent releases)
Off-Topic, but we haven't released the new QBZ series yet.

Old 2012-01-08, 17:48   #17
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Hauteclocque View Post
Off-Topic, but we haven't released the new QBZ series yet.
Oh my bad, I figured since the blog post was from 0.95 that they'd have been included in one of the 3 subsequent releases Looking forward to them!
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 01:29   #18
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

As Huate said, you should have separate 1p and 3p models AND textures. Most of the current PR handheld weapons don't have this yet and its quite a big issue for PR's performance.

Here is a quick example of the future L85A2 setup:

Top is scoped in mesh, next down is 1p model, next down is 3p, lod0 and ones after that are the other 3p lods, one after the other with the final 3p lod, being a double sided plane with an alpha texture on it ingame.

And 1p model and 3p model:

You can't see the normals in thous pics but with them, it looks pretty much like the 1p model, other than when really, really close up which 99% of the time, your not going to be to another guys weapon.

For now just focus on the 1p model, the 3p models are made off the 1p models with there textures and normals baked off of them

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 16:39   #19
Wakain

Rhino, I don't want to be an arse but does this mean the return of the non-RIS L85?

lovely to see more optimization!
Wakain is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-09, 22:06   #20
Spush
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Don't think so. I think Rhino just loves the older version without the RIS.

Spush is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
fdf, poxo is ghey, pyssykk, sako, trg42, weapon, wip, wipfdf