project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR:ARMA3 Support > PR:ARMA2 Support Forum Archive
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:ARMA2 Support Forum Archive Archived posts from PR:ARMA2 Support Forum

Old 2012-04-03, 22:20   #11
mightymints
Default re: [Solved] Keep getting kicked due to files. Please help!

Tried that too, it just tells me the file already exists. I think what I will do is just reinstall windows and see what happens if I install ARMA OA from steam in the same folder as ARMA II. This way I start with a clean cache too...
Old 2012-04-04, 00:58   #12
mightymints

Well, here is what I plan on doing differently this time to try:
-Fresh Windows install (done)
-Installed Steam
-Created folder "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2" and am installing my disk version in there without the Bohemia Interactive part.
-Steam will then download OA to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead" so the folders are side by side.

Am I right in thinking I do not have to do any patching to ARMA II before I install OA on steam? Or do I ?
Old 2012-04-04, 01:45   #13
MaSSive

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-COM]MaSSive View Post
You will need to install OA in Arma2 directory, but Steam should detect it and offer you to combine it automatically.

If not you can do it with symlinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trufret View Post
The easiest way I find to combine a retail Arma 2 and Steam Operation Arrowhead (or steam versions of both for that matter) is to use symlinks. All you really need to use Arma 2 content in OA is the Arma 2 AddOns folder in your OA directory. Since just copying the folder is a huge waste of space and will cause problems should there be any future updates to Arma 2 a symlink is the more convenient method in my opinion. It just creates a folder in your OA directory that links to the original Arma 2 AddOns folder.

I'm assuming Vista/7 X64 for instructions
To do this you need to open a command prompt in administrator mode
Start>>All Programs>>Accessories>> (Right click) Command Prompt>>Run As Administrator

In Command Prompt enter
mklink /D "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2 operation arrowhead\AddOns" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bohemia Interactive\arma 2\AddOns"

mklink /D tells it to create a directory link

The first file path is to create the AddOns folder in your OA directory (Note the \AddOns at the end of this path. There should not be a folder called AddOns in the root of your OA by default. This will create it)
The second file path is the location of the directory you want to link to. In this case your AddOns directory in your Retail Arma 2 folder.

You may have to alter these file paths depending on where you have actually installed Arma 2 and OA but that is the syntax of the command

Remeber the "" marks around the path names if your path contains spaces ect..

Also you need to run Arma2 at least once to make registry entries, close then run OA trough Steam once, setup your profile, and play a bit MP. If all is fine you can instal or launch PR.

If you dont have Arma2 and OA combined to Combined Ops aka CO, PR will not run properly.

I alreeady posted a solution but you dont read it all. If steam does not detect arma2 when you install and update OA do this above.

Make sure you run Arma2 once before you install OA over steam!
Old 2012-04-04, 02:13   #14
mightymints

I did that, I ran Arma 2 before running steam. I then installed it over steam. Ran OA then CO. Same goddamn problem. The solution doesn't work for me . Tried it on two fresh installs.

Getting really frustrating . I appreciate your help though.
Old 2012-04-04, 02:20   #15
MaSSive

What about symlink hack quoted above? Really odd. Is OA updated to 1.6? Dont update it manually steam should do it automatically. Tried rebooting?
Old 2012-04-04, 02:47   #16
mightymints

I rebooted after every step, its getting rather frustrating, especially on a fresh install lol. I also have had a couple of errors of files missing when I load OA and CO. Tried the symlinks too.

I just decided to buy ARMA II on Steam. That way I have both on steam. For $20, the amount of time I have invested in this should pay off hopefully. At least this way I can negate a problem.
Old 2012-04-04, 07:33   #17
mightymints

WELL, although not technically solved with my original set up. I decided to keep my ARMA OA on Steam, and just scrap my DVD copy and buy the STEAM ARMA II. Sure enough, it worked.

Is it possible I had a bad copy of ARMA II on the disk? Maybe corrupt files?

Anyways, was worth $20 I guess. At least now I am back up and running. Weird that I had no problems on the last version of PR...
Old 2012-04-04, 15:45   #18
MaSSive

Sorry I couldn't be of a more help, but if you could run Arma2 after install from disk and there were no errors I dont see why it wouldn't want to work.

If you had errors that might mean your DVD disk is damaged.
Old 2012-04-04, 21:31   #19
mightymints

I did get a couple of file missing errors from time to time. I'm happy now though! Max settings at 1080 at 70fps .

Thanks for your help! If anyone needs a cd key pm me!

Tags
due, files, kicked, solved