project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Modelling & Animations
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Modelling & Animations Everything but Static Objects

Old 2012-06-28, 16:30   #11
Fresz
Default Re: [Vehicle] AMZ Dzik

Fresz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 16:35   #12
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

ZOMG @ polygons wasted on those headlights & gun barrel

Those two aspects alone must make up ~500+ tris.

---

Still looks good though

---

Edit: You can keep the high poly barrel for your Geom0 (first person/in the car) for the gunner, but for the Geom1 (third person perspective) you can reduce that gun cylinder down immensely... IMO. [Take with a grain of salt since I suck @ modeling]
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 20:26   #13
lucky.BOY
Supporting Member

The grill on the front could be done via normalmap, saving up bunch of polys. I would also be worried about those side mirror posts having too much sides. Those smoke grenade launchers look pretty opimised to me, yeah maybe few less sides on the most upper part would help, but not bad at all.

btw, still kinda hard to see details properly, best way is set the color of the object to black and then assign grey material to it. I know you are not modelling this, Fresz, just please pass it over

lucky.BOY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 21:54   #14
Fresz

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky.BOY View Post
I know you are not modelling this, Fresz, just please pass it over
Iam indeed Iam
Fresz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-28, 22:39   #15
Adriaan
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

There are a few things I'd change before getting into texturing:

Most obviously the headlights, their tricount can be reduced quite a bit (you can try collapsing every other segment or just remodelling it).
Then the bars pointed out, not as bad as the headlights but they can still do with less I think.
The verts around A can be welded down to the verts that create the actual silhouette, shouldn't lead to any smoothing issues from the looks of it.
There seems to be an edge through the middle of the windshield, probably left over from mirroring. You can remove that and any other edges like it, if they don't contribute to the shape.
The gun looks like it could do with more detail (although I can't see it very well from this angle nor do I know what it looks like irl). The barrel looks like it might have too many sides, although its probably fine since it'll be manned.
The wheels might benefit from a slight chamfer on their outer edge loops.

That's all I could notice. Its looking pretty nice overall though!

Adriaan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-06-29, 00:36   #16
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

some launchers and other round bits which have mostly been pointed about by Adriaan above are all way too round. Yes its nice to have something with loads of edges but its just not worth it..

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 16:21   #17
flamaster69

Hi,
thank for your all advices. I simplified this model to 4k tris.

Please, check it and let me know if I can do textures now or not yet.

Wheel on the roof is in the standard, btw, it doesn't cover field for machine gun operator.

And what about the interior? Is it good enough ? How much see the player?

flamaster69 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 17:01   #18
Trek762

Detailed interior is a separate model, all you gotta do ATM is just basic interior.

What about the visors on the sides?

Also, good to hear that you simplified the model. Keep up the work, and powodzenia
Trek762 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-03, 17:16   #19
[R-DEV]​Tim270
PR:BF2 Developer

I think you went too far with the optimization imo. 4k is a bit low. Definitely add back in the geometry for the window screen and the doors. Unless it is a fully baked normal map you will never be able to convey a 3d looking door in bf2 without the geometry supporting it.

Main things to consider at this point
- Weld in all the floating parts of geometry. They will z-fight in bf2 (flickering) and it is a fairly simple fix to avoid this. You simply need to 'weld' them into the main body so they are not intersecting/floating. Leave the stuff like the gas cans and window-wipers though as they are only very slightly intersecting.
- I would make the front bar a 5 sided cylinder and put it all in one smoothing group. That should just about be able to carry the detail without a excessive triangle count.
- Give all the wheels a chamfer on the outside edge. Wheels do not have 90-degree edges!

As for the interior Rhino has covered it quite a few times in posts so here you go. I would give that a read and plan which way you want to do it.

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f38...ml#post1408373
Tim270 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-04, 14:19   #20
Psyrus
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamaster69 View Post
Hi,
thank for your all advices. I simplified this model to 4k tris.

This one may have gone a little too far on optimizing, but it's good that you can do it so well.

In my opinion, save this current, optimized version as your LOD1. You can have your LOD0 with a few more polygons than that (~5-6k going by the current average), like smoothing the wheel middle parts, and adding a couple more sides to the front bar and a bit more geometry on the doors. Welding things up like Tim mentioned will also add to the poly count (as the welded vertices will need to make new triangles on the model).
Psyrus is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
amz, dzik, vehicle, vehicleamz, wip, wippl