project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
09 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2012-08-14, 02:53   #11
paul161616
Supporting Member

Default Re: First Custom Build

Intel Core i5 3570K Unlocked Quad Core Processor LGA1155 3.4GHZ Ivy Bridge 6MB Retail - Intel - BX80637I53570K
to be clear that would be the right processor, with ivy bridge?

also i feel like i would want to go for the sound card possibly since i have beats headphones and a pretty good speaker system, although i usually only game with the beats since it sounds so nice
paul161616 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 02:56   #12
sharpie
Supporting Member

That would be it friend

I'm actually getting one on wednesday (supposed to come in then) quite excited about it...but you may want to look into a watercooler to pair off with it.

"Tom I think you have influenced the combat effectiveness of this team! Everyone has gone full potato."~Foxxyfrost
[DM]P*Funk: its like a funk guitar seminar up in that bitch
K_Rivers-"...everything is broken in your country,"
RinWarZip: Your butthurt is like cold september morning by the seashore for me. Refreshing. Pepper mint.
sharpie is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 06:03   #13
mangeface
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul161616 View Post
beats headphones
Beats by Dre headphones? I bet...no wait. I KNOW my $30 Sennheisers sound way better than those. How much did you spend for those anyways? I've seen them for $300+.

Anyways, a good sound card would be a ASUS Xonar D1. I use it, great output and quality, low cost.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16829132007
mangeface is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 06:06   #14
paul161616
Supporting Member

okay yea, i just read over your thread, im definitely leaning towards the i5-3570k. one of the things i have very little knowledge about is cooling, any products you guys would suggest for that cpu if im overclocking it? and for buying video cards, is buying 2 generally just for if you have more than one monitor? would if be worth it to buy 2 using just one moniter or is that overkill? and my question on sound cards still stands :P

EDIT: ninja'd haha i got the beats solo as a gift so for the amount i payed its pretty good :P and also the main reason i ask about the soundcard is because of this:

Quote:
is anyone else getting some sorta sound glitch when firing multiple hydras, where all other sounds cut out except for the explosions? happens with me on the littlebird when firing the minigun
Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]-=anders=- View Post
And the real workaround is to get an xfi card with 64MB to use ultra settings. Then the game Will support 128 sounds at the same time without any sounds to get muted. if you play bf2 you should have an xfi 64mb card plugged in.
Old 2012-08-14, 09:26   #15
Cossack
Supporting Member

Look for sound cards that has PCIx not PCI connection, because PCI very old and few manufacturer are not even putting them on their mobos. For example MSI.

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 17:30   #16
Pedz
Supporting Member

Quote:
okay yea, i just read over your thread, im definitely leaning towards the i5-3570k. one of the things i have very little knowledge about is cooling, any products you guys would suggest for that cpu if im overclocking it? and for buying video cards, is buying 2 generally just for if you have more than one monitor? would if be worth it to buy 2 using just one moniter or is that overkill? and my question on sound cards still stands :P

EDIT: ninja'd haha i got the beats solo as a gift so for the amount i payed its pretty good :P and also the main reason i ask about the soundcard is because of this:
Cooling for processors is pretty simple, Noctua make silent running coolers than work as well if not better than corsairs watercooling solutions, but either will work with overclocking. If you want to go insane on the overclocking, then best bet is to do a home made watercooling job, as they're much more efficient than the corsair set in general, but even more costly.

GPU wise it depends on what you want FPS wise, look up benchmarks for your favourite games, and check out what the GPU's can score, this is the most relative scoring you will get to your actual performance. You can always add another GPU later on if you feel its lacking a bit, and it will be much much cheaper by that point.

Still with the sound-cards, I don't believe many motherboards don't support 128 voices, generally a processor capable thing. Also with MSI motherboards(only ones I know of, because I own one :P), you get THX certified audio hardware which is a good standard and allows little tweaks to the sound quality, such as crystalliser(same as on Creative X-Fi sound-cards) and surround sound mixing. I used to believe that a sound-card was needed for better sound, but after testing my PC with and without a Titanium X-Fi Fatality (yes it has the coveted RAM), I noticed not much of a difference, but its hard to tell, as I had to turn off the PC between removing it kinda thing. Also the Creative without its crystalliser and such additions sounds very muddy compared to any normal speaker system or the onboard system.

But as Cossack says, get a PCI-Express card, as the PCI cards also had major problems with crackling and popping due to lagg on the bus... This was a big problem with old Creative cards, have a google of Creative sound card problems and you will find many many people having that problem.

Pedz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 18:48   #17
paul161616
Supporting Member

thanks for the info. i will look into some more cooling products now that i have an idea, and if i wanted to run games like bf3 and other graphics demanding games on high settings and steady fps 30+ is that even reasonable with one gpu? i dont really know. and for the soundcard, i know that most mobos will support 128 sounds but will bf2 be able to utilize that?
Old 2012-08-14, 19:45   #18
Pedz
Supporting Member

Quote:
thanks for the info. i will look into some more cooling products now that i have an idea, and if i wanted to run games like bf3 and other graphics demanding games on high settings and steady fps 30+ is that even reasonable with one gpu? i dont really know. and for the soundcard, i know that most mobos will support 128 sounds but will bf2 be able to utilize that?
NVIDIA GTX 680 Review ? Page 6 - Testing: Battlefield 3 - Overclockers Club

Shows 96 fps at 1920x1080 resolution, so yes easily.

I am not 100% sure on that, I haven't noticed any problems with it in ultra setting before, but then again I can't really tell if there's 128 'voices' so can't fully answer that Q.

Pedz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 19:46   #19
Cossack
Supporting Member

Yes... You don't need 670 to run everything high. Anyway, 660Ti will come out on upcoming days, so take a look

Cossack is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-14, 21:11   #20
paul161616
Supporting Member

alright looking through the gpus i have a couple questions. should i be sticking to the gtx series? they seem the most popular. and would it be worth the $500-$600 for a gtx 680? my planned budget was to be around $200-$300 for gpu. keep in mind i may not have the money for this project for another 4-6 months. any other suggestions for a $200-$300 gpu with strong performance? i took a look at the 660 Ti which looks very interesting but depends on its price which i couldnt find. and thanks for the help on the soundcard, it looks like i wont need one to start with so if im having problems with my sound in bf2 il just get one afterwards.

EDIT: actually going through the pc builder i can get a $500 gpu and stay in budget
Last edited by paul161616; 2012-08-14 at 21:28..

Tags
build, custom