project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > General Technical Support > Hardware & Custom Builds
19 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Hardware & Custom Builds Discussion on Computer Hardware & Custom Builds

Old 2015-08-18, 01:38   #11
MaSSive
Default Re: W10 restarts kernel power 41

ASUS GeForce GTX 970 Strix review - Hardware Setup | Power Consumption

While 500W is at the minimum required I really think it may be sucking extra power at times, plus a OC on the CPU adds to it, so I cant see other problem than that. I would really hate, and probably no more than you would, if you would buy a new PSU and it turns out it was not the problem.

So a tip. Borrow PSU of a friend if you can, and make it some more powerful one. Test. If it works, thats it, get your money ready for the purchase.

Please dont run it without enough power, if it has 8pin connector its there for a reason. You can damage it this way and it wont perform well.

I still dont see a reason why would it pass first test and fail on second one. And by things you said looks like it fails on intro, not the actual graphic test 1 or 2 or combined test which load both gpu and cpu. Although graphic test stresses gpu to the max, while combined loads only 50% in my case.
Last edited by MaSSive; 2015-08-18 at 01:44..
Old 2015-08-18, 02:04   #12
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

It is not crashing on my wife's PSU so I'm happy to buy a new one, my kid is testing ETS2 now.
I am not going to leave it running with my new fail PSU. It's not that bad to buy a new one, I'll put the new fail one into my wife's machine it has a much better ventilation for hers anyway. My own silly fault but asus don't mention any PSU specs but MSI say 500W recommended, maybe a tier 1 500W would be ok....

Any recommendations but only from LDLC.com alimentation is French for PSU.

I will however check in the box for an adaptor.

It wasn't failing sky diver at the intro but we'll into it when seeing alot of water. Odd thAt if passed the harder firestrike but crashed on one for multimedia PC s maybe nvidia don't like water.

No big PSU's in my tribe!
Last edited by PLODDITHANLEY; 2015-08-18 at 02:13..
Old 2015-08-18, 05:35   #13
MaSSive

Alimentation PC 80 PLUS Gold : achat / vente Alimentation PC sur ldlc.com 600W 80+ Gold 5 yr waranty for Be Quiet and 3yrs for Corsair. Personally I would go for Be Quiet, cause I read complaints I dont like about Corsair about failing fans. But it is your choice. Corsair seems to be quite popular and has a lot of reviews. Plus it is cheaper.

Be Quiet ! Straight Power 10 600W 80PLUS Gold (STRAIGHT POWER 10 600W) : achat / vente Alimentation PC sur ldlc.com
Corsair CS650 80PLUS Gold (CP-9020077-EU) : achat / vente Alimentation PC sur ldlc.com

I think 600W 80Plus gold will keep you happy long time.

In the end it turns out it is the PSU after all. Glad you got it.

Salut et bonne chance.
Last edited by MaSSive; 2015-08-18 at 05:51..
Old 2015-08-18, 10:57   #14
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

Not too fused about Gold as I'll be selling it in 16months as I'm moving.

Seasonic s12II 620 bronze at euro84 seems ok, should sell well with that name too.

Are we sure 620 will be enough with a 4.5OC on my 2500k which will add another 30W to the 95 max?

If not FSP aurum 700 Gold at 109 would be cool by me.
Last edited by PLODDITHANLEY; 2015-08-19 at 05:11..
Old 2015-08-18, 17:27   #15
MaSSive

600W should be fine. Even if cpu is OC to 4.5 entire system power consumption wont go over 530W so there is more room, but if it is 80plus bronze and no waranty on PSU I would go for another 100W, so yes 700W.

Corsair is not much more at 650W 80Plus gold for 110e and 3yr warranty, and it will sell nice with it too.

Or if you plan to sell, get clock back to stock and get cheaper PSU. Your old PSU might even work with it.
MaSSive is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-19, 00:48   #16
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

At the moment it is at standard, but I bought this to overclock it, so must allow for the extra overhead.

In 16 months I am moving from my Pacific island back to Europe and unless I want to wait 3-4 months for shipping I will sell here. I was thinking I'll bring back my 18month old 970 and maybe the CPU, but the rest is too bulky, too old or too cheap to replace to warrant bag space.

So I need a PSU that will comfortably run the 970 plus OC to be done so I guess 600/620/650 bronze - technically all that bronze/gold/platinum means is efficiency - not quality.

To talk about 100% use on 500W

Bronze will pull 617W from the wall
Silver 588W
Gold 568W
Platinum 549W
Titanium 549W

So it's largely an electricity bill vs buying cost calculation which over 5 years works out.

Thermaltake Litepower 450W Bronze/Antec EA-450 EarthWatts Platinum /24/7 Yearly Savings
iGPU ? Idle 34 /27 /61.4 kWh (~$7.68 )
iGPU ? Cinebench Single-Core 63 /55/ 70.1 kWh (~$8.76 )
iGPU ? Cinebench Multi-Core 96/ 86/ 87.7 kWh (~$10.96 )
iGPU ? Cinebench OpenGL 103 /92/ 96.4 kWh (~$12.05 )
AMD 7750 ? Idle 45/ 38/ 61.4 kWh (~$7.68 )
AMD 7750 ? 3DMark 131 /121/ 87.7 kWh (~$10.96 )
NVIDIA 780 ? Idle 48 /41/ 61.4 kWh (~$7.68 )
NVIDIA 780 ? 3DMark 348 /325/ 201.6 kWh (~$25.20 )

Quote:
For power costs, we’re looking at the worst-case scenario of leaving a system on 24/7, which really isn’t realistic unless you’re talking about a server. For a typical PC that’s on eight hours a day, using the US national average price for electricity ($0.125 per kWh), we’re looking at electrical savings of anywhere from $2.56 to $8.40 per year. That may not seem like much, but considering any decent power supply should last five years and you’re looking at $12.80 to $42 in savings. That’s for a $21 difference in upfront costs, which is much smaller than what we’ve seen in the past for the most efficient power supplies – and note that the price difference tends to grow substantially when you’re shopping for 800-1200W PSUs, though that’s perhaps a topic for another day.
From Anandtech

Is is hard to quantify 'quality' in that one expects a Platinum to have higher grade components to allow higher efficiency, also one expects more protection but this is an assumption and must be checked model by model.

To wrap up, I don't care about efficiency but I do want good protection as I have expensive components and where I live people think the electricity is not clean, but I as an electrician think its OK.
Last edited by PLODDITHANLEY; 2015-08-19 at 05:13..
Old 2015-08-19, 06:43   #17
MaSSive

Well it is contradictory statement. Efficiency not quality, but then why are the Gold, Platinum , Titanium more efficient, cost more and durable if they dont have quality components? If you want serious protection get a quality PSU with good efficieny and active PFC/OVP/UVP/TRM. Most of the newer expencive models have them. Investing money again in a brand that failed to deliver is ludacris.

If I would be in your position I would look for quality, durability and warranty. If manufacturer offers 5 years warranty he has to be damn sure his product is efficient and durable, or he will be broke really quick.

So I would look towards BeQuiet and Corsair. If I understood right on that site nobody else is giving warranty or perhaps limited one year? That is crap I can tell you. Electronics with one year waranty are made to work 1 year and one month, and then die, so you can spend more and buy new one. As a coleague electrician I can warranty that.

You are probably right about the Bronze PSU...it should hold much more than that period you need it to. Whatever you choose from that designation with power of 600W+ would serve fine.
Old 2015-08-19, 23:38   #18
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

GTX 970 = 500W PSU failing ? [Solved] - Gtx - Graphics Cards
PLODDITHANLEY is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-08-20, 02:12   #19
MaSSive

Quote:
to be honest I dont have anything bad to say about my 3 year old beQuit! aside the fact it cant power the gtx970 along with the i5 ...
That is the word from a user, that owned it for 3 years. It is a 500W PSU which is obviously not enough to power i5 and gtx970 even the referent model with stock clock on cpu and psu. And after 3 years one would expect PSU might lose on the power.

I dont bash products just because I heard a few bad things about them. But it is your choice.
Old 2015-08-22, 00:10   #20
PLODDITHANLEY
Supporting Member

I spoke to the shop nicely asking if they would expect this PSU to be adequate for my system and sent them a link to this forum to see the testing.
They responded that this PSU (Seasonic 500) should suffice, I think they're sort of wrong - I think a 500W is enough with a high quality PSU, but a lower quality one is running too close to max with those scary 300W peaks shown.

They asked me as a final test to run OCCT for an hour and send them the file.

However one thing really confused me on OCCT it says CPU 4.3Ghz, but windows resources says 3.3-3.5.

I bought this as a second hand mobo/CPU which was overclocked by a UK shop. I reset the CMOS and looking with my inexperience at the BIOS looke standard to me, it's only on OCCT I see this OCed speed.
Last edited by PLODDITHANLEY; 2015-08-22 at 00:35..

Tags
kernel, power, restarts, w10