project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Feedback > Infantry
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2015-11-28, 12:21   #11
viirusiiseli
Banned
Default Re: Removing the map Icons

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3dboy1 View Post
People said same things about lack of nametags for 65+ players. Somehow players adapted and there is no massive teamkills.
Yeah nah, the teamkills that used to not happen on close range are a normal occurrence.

Someone comes around the corner, they don't see the nametag and shoot you. It happens all the time so...
viirusiiseli is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-28, 19:08   #12
Cavazos

It might be a good change.

I avoid most of my team kills through target identification, and if I can't tell what it is while it's far away I won't shoot it.

Only a few times I use the map as reference to verify friendly or foe since it takes so long to verify.
Cavazos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-30, 02:01   #13
Murphy

So you mean to say you never SL, obviously. You mean that you never check your map for what's going on? You must be a one man army taking care of everything across the map, or maybe you spend a lot of time in the wrong spots enjoying the scenery.
Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-30, 04:03   #14
Fir3w411

Ah yes. Let's remove what last little hope we have of not being teamkilled. Bumbling idiots who don't check maps are the reason why the majority of TKs occur right now.

To remove the map is to remove everyone's eyes. You are blind if you can't see where friendlies are on the map. Removing it would increase teamkills and increase the already present horrid comms.

Just imagine if you removed maps right now and had someone doing mortar. They would either:
A). Spam comms trying to see if there are friendlies in that position in which if they don't get a reply continue to spam comms. (eventually leading to B)
B). Not even ask and just fire-at-will resulting in TKs

To compare removing of the map to removing of name tags makes little sense, too. You are blinding everyone by doing the fore. Removing the latter you simply remove identification with direct sight (nametags even take a second or two to show up as well).
Fir3w411 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-30, 06:06   #15
solidfire93

i dont have a problem in killing and identify the enemy !
i double check so i be sure to avoid Friendly fire !

but i must admit that i got confused at Ulyanovsk and killed a Friendly !

Russian outfit extremely good in Bush and jungle combat !

i say leave it as it is ! even with the icon's we still have Tk, and it happen often...

everyday we get a lot of new players to PR and i think that's the reason we see TK !

imo it has nothing to do with icon's on the map !
solidfire93 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-30, 11:44   #16
Jacksonez__

Quote:
Just imagine if you removed maps right now and had someone doing mortar. They would either:
A). Spam comms trying to see if there are friendlies in that position in which if they don't get a reply continue to spam comms. (eventually leading to B)
B). Not even ask and just fire-at-will resulting in TKs
How about mortar squads change their way of thinking to fire upon request - not randomly. In real life mortars don't fire blindly: there's a designated spotter squad or they wait for fire support requests from infantry squads.

Would be 10/10 idea and force mortar squads to use actual spotter again and rely on other squads + commander intel. Mortar squad's fault if they fire randomly at hot-spots which might be crowded by friendlies.

inb4 "NERF MORTARS AGAIN HNGHHHHH" comments.

E: Although I think commander should see where e.g squad leaders are located on the map. How he's able to organize stuff if he doesn't know where his troops are at?
Jacksonez__ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-30, 12:21   #17
Fir3w411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonez__ View Post
How about mortar squads change their way of thinking to fire upon request - not randomly. In real life mortars don't fire blindly: there's a designated spotter squad or they wait for fire support requests from infantry squads.
This isn't real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonez__ View Post
Would be 10/10 idea and force mortar squads to use actual spotter again and rely on other squads + commander intel. Mortar squad's fault if they fire randomly at hot-spots which might be crowded by friendlies.
When did mortar squads ever regularly use their own spotter? The most you would ever get is a 1337 sniper telling you they'll spot (obviously not).

And since the commander has been made as unappealing as one could have ever imagined, no one goes commander. Squads don't ever call in shit so you're left with no other alternative than to mortar anywhere you think there's enemy.

Since 1.3 came out I have noticed two very clear things: Commander role is filled less than ever. And dedicated mortar squads are nonexistent.
Fir3w411 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-30, 12:28   #18
Jacksonez__

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fir3w411 View Post
This isn't real life.

When did mortar squads ever regularly use their own spotter? The most you would ever get is a 1337 sniper telling you they'll spot (obviously not).

And since the commander has been made as unappealing as one could have ever imagined, no one goes commander. Squads don't ever call in shit so you're left with no other alternative than to mortar anywhere you think there's enemy.

Since 1.3 came out I have noticed two very clear things: Commander role is filled less than ever. And dedicated mortar squads are nonexistent.
it was just an idea, yeah I know this isn't real life. If it's not broken, don't fix it The current system works just fine in my opinion (map with icons)

usually the mortar squads where I have been, the squad leader asks around squads and commander for targets. Commander UAV + mortars = deadly AF.
Jacksonez__ is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-11-30, 15:33   #19
Murphy

It used to be that mortars required a firemission request to remove the "black screen" that was blocking players from just firing away as they do now. That first iteration did not sit that well with many players and they eventually changed mortars to the system we have now, which may be a lot less realistic but for gameplay it flows a lot nicer. A lot of times you would have the mortar SL asking other SLs to just toss a firemission request at any random place just to use the mortars and support them, so this is one of those things (like the main topic of this thread imho) where gameplay and realism need to meet somewhere near the haflway point.

(UV also sucks now compared to how it used to be, diff topic again)
Murphy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-01, 03:43   #20
Cavazos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
So you mean to say you never SL, obviously. You mean that you never check your map for what's going on? You must be a one man army taking care of everything across the map, or maybe you spend a lot of time in the wrong spots enjoying the scenery.
Just because you rely on a map all the time to do IFF, doesn't mean I have too. It's unnecessary for me. For some people, like yourself perhaps, you can't tell the difference and rely on that map. That's ok too.
Last edited by Cavazos; 2015-12-01 at 03:56..

Tags
icons, map, removing, romoving