project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Mapping
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2017-05-31, 09:50   #11
arjan

Default Re: [MAP] Arctic Lion (4km) [WIP]

Unsure if jets would take off in that type of weather.
arjan is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-06-01, 10:36   #12
agus92
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjan View Post
Unsure if jets would take off in that type of weather.
Actually, the colder, the better. Although you need heaters to avoid ice.

Regarding visibility, you can use instruments.
agus92 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-05, 17:54   #13
QuickLoad

i've started adding some trenches/defensive positions, and two large forests along with other tiny details such as a small russian campsite( a OP for the russians prior to the attack), and it's assumed that the russians were here for awhile undetected and the NL had been strengthening it's front with defensively in some places. but this is a quiet place in the 'war' and thus a lot of places like the central village have been nigh untouched and seem peaceful.

a lot of the terrain is flat and boring, so i've been trying to add some places where maybe a snow plow might've pushed them up(you will also notice places closer to human-living locations or human-activity have less snow on the trees, while more remote areas have plenty of snow). but in general a lot of tiny ditches, dug out locations, foxholes, wooden stakes, small craters, anything to help break up the flatness.

this is all a giant excuse to have more cover on the map, which is one of the big deals.
i'm super tired so i will do a video/screenshots sometime later.

other details like adding bushes next to a house to help with closing sightlines and a tree falling onto the road preventing those giant 16 wheelers from progressing(before they were just stopped on the road for no reason whatsoever).

also i noticed there were actually a lot of trucks, but.. no reason for them to be in this tiny peaceful village. so since the place where the apartments used to be no longer exists i'm planning something for that.

so far i've basically been focusing on the center of the map and working my way towards the old russian side(in the final piece russian base will be moved to the NE corner instead of N(which it is atm))

i had a question - noticed the two beta maps sahel and route 106 had massive FPS problems, but what caused this? at first I thought it was trees, but sareema has A CRAPTON OF TREES and no issues.

i was a little concerned with the amoutn of trees needed to be a 'forest'. i understand using clusters is good but sareema doesnt use them and has no issues iwth fps.

ok im off to sleep now, i promise to place screens and/or vid later

have a good day

edit: one more thing, I was looking for the bastonge kind of look in the higher places of the forest iwth the super tall 20m snowy pine trees or something like that but I can't find any, that's a shame.
QuickLoad is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-05, 18:38   #14
[R-DEV]​Mr.VdHeide
PR:BF2 Developer

Good to hear you are still working on it!

And sounds good so far, though I would love to see a bunch of screenshots of course!

Do you have the map working in game? If so, could you perhaps PM me a download link?

Don't worry too much about the the forest, if you do end up using too many tree's then you could simply lower the density in your overgrowth tool bar. Also, something worth noting is that saaremaa (even tho it is a 4km map) is in fact pretty small. It has about the same amounts of land as lets say Dovre because the island is only 2*2km. If you want to make a good forest then you should make the edges really dense and the center less dense just like Ulyanovsk has.

Good luck!

D.J.

Mr.VdHeide is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-06, 03:02   #15
DogACTUAL

Not that this is going to change your mind but could you possible give this map good view distance with good visibility, no fog and no snowstorm weather? We already have Dovre Winter with the whole snowstorm deal.

Would be nice to have an 'arctic' map with clear air and great view distance, the previous version looked quite epic in that regard.
DogACTUAL is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-06, 03:46   #16
QuickLoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogACTUAL View Post
Not that this is going to change your mind but could you possible give this map good view distance with good visibility, no fog and no snowstorm weather? We already have Dovre Winter with the whole snowstorm deal.

Would be nice to have an 'arctic' map with clear air and great view distance, the previous version looked quite epic in that regard.
yeah i was really thinking about it since there will most likely be jets, and this weather is garbage in terms of visibility. since there will be lots of cover I think that good visibility will be nice.

I didn't get to those settings yet but I most likely will.. or maybe have multiple layouts for weather(night, day or afternoon/day + snowy). those are a low priority though because I want to get the general map done first.

snowy weather will make forest combat interesting, but urban and open combat very awkward.(likewise, clear weather will make forest combat more about the trees instead of taking advantage of the snow, so the combat wouldn't be as unique and would be more of standard PR combat) so there needs to be sort of equalibrium.
Old 2017-07-06, 03:48   #17
QuickLoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Mr.VdHeide View Post
Good to hear you are still working on it!

And sounds good so far, though I would love to see a bunch of screenshots of course!

Do you have the map working in game? If so, could you perhaps PM me a download link?

Don't worry too much about the the forest, if you do end up using too many tree's then you could simply lower the density in your overgrowth tool bar. Also, something worth noting is that saaremaa (even tho it is a 4km map) is in fact pretty small. It has about the same amounts of land as lets say Dovre because the island is only 2*2km. If you want to make a good forest then you should make the edges really dense and the center less dense just like Ulyanovsk has.

Good luck!

D.J.
haven't tried loading it ingame yet, but thank you very much for those tips about the trees
i think I may go with your treeline-dense, actual forest not-so-dense tactic but I wanted the tree combat to be uniqueish. if fps really does hurt I will probably go with yours and then add other methods of making the forests unique.
Old 2017-07-06, 12:05   #18
Rabbit

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLoad View Post
haven't tried loading it ingame yet, but thank you very much for those tips about the trees
i think I may go with your treeline-dense, actual forest not-so-dense tactic but I wanted the tree combat to be uniqueish. if fps really does hurt I will probably go with yours and then add other methods of making the forests unique.
https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...placement.html
Rabbit is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-07, 04:37   #19
QuickLoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabbit View Post
thank you, i read it twice but it's still a lot of new information so I will refine the forests later.
i took some of the tips in there and began the outlines of some of the forests for the natural look as stated in the guide

i'll make a video shortly to showcase the changes in V1.5-2.7, here are some changelogs but I most likely forgot a lot:

V1(of the screenshots):
-Minor changes to airfield including fences sandbags tents hecblocks chinooks f16s but nothing more, mostly just experimenting with how much room is needed.
-Lower-central town recieved some more houses. Mailboxes and cars added for cover(streets were quite empty and some houses are too spread out to give infantry enough cover). bushes and trees added to remove some sightlines but not all, this way infantry have a choice of directions to pick their attack from.
-Old russian main received a little bit of cover but most likely going to be removed alto++nin a later version.
-Control Tower hill received trees, and a bunker and some sandbags and wire to help make the place not so.. empty. also helps with the defense of the place.

V1.5
-Lower-central town received more trees and more bushes, a little bit of hedgegrows but they seem a bit out of place. Other changes like some more cars and some more houses were added.
-Random trees placed around mountains, going to develop into the forest later on.
-Rocks placed near the top of the mountains to help add cover but since the ambiance is so windy i'd assume trees would have some problems at the peak, especially since in some places the peak is so thin.

V2
-Forests added N, NE, E and W of the central town.
-There's a shack N of the MSR from the central town, it got some vegetation to help it out, and some road hazards were added to help explain why vehicles have stopped(vehicles were on the road on the map already)
-Control Tower hill received more vegetation, more sandbags, more bunkers, improvements to the razorwire, more trees, and some stumps in the area where NL-AF have cut down to help with their sightlines down the hill. There's also an added crashed F16 but im unsure if I will keep it.
-Improvements to the central town's vegetation, road also now leads up to where the apartments used to be, 'apartments' may be replaced with a truck stop in the future, nothing there as of now except some random trees.
-RU Observation Post added E of Central Town.
-NL Observation Post added N of the Central Town.
-More trees added N of the central town, but much incomplete.
-Trying foxholes on the W forest from central town, not looking good so far.

V2.5
-Terrain improvements done to the NL OP, more viable as cover for a fireteam, instead of just 1 man. Still relatively exposed against anything that has splash damage.
-Forest treeline added to the N/NE Forest from the central town, still experimenting and incomplete.
-Touch ups on forest W of central town, still incomplete.
-'Dead' forest E of the NE/N forest from the central town. experimenting but it looks pretty good, may be moved to another place unless I can somehow explain why it's dead..
-RU possible FOB location added to the NE/N forest from the central town, needs touch up.
-Foxholes W forest from central town have been removed and replaced with some light-trenches and nasty bunker sightlines(although VERY prone to flanking) which cover some of the town and the oncoming MSR, the cover provided makes it an ideal possible NL fob location. a supplied squad can make this into a very decent hardpoint. the bunkers are made of concrete so it's assumed that this 'war' or whatever has been going on for atleast a couple months, this theory also helps explain the OP's.
-General improvements to the central town for trees.

V2.6
-RU possibel FOB Location NE/N forest from central town got terrain touchups and razorwire added to some blind spots, although the wire can be destroyed.
-Razorwire added on the MSR entering central town, assumed to be set up by NL to stop speeding vehicles and needed to be set up hastily. also destructible and shouldn't really do anything at all since vheicles can speed through them.

7/6/17-
V2.7
-RU possible fob location NE/N forest from central town got some trees 'chopped down' to assist with sightlines. trenches alsos hould be correct height now.
Last edited by QuickLoad; 2017-07-07 at 04:47.. Reason: 2.7
Old 2017-07-07, 17:09   #20
Glimmerman
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

wow looking forward to those screenshots

Glimmerman is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
4km, arctic, discussion, general, lion, map, problems, wip