project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
22 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2007-03-28, 07:37   #11
NiGHTWoLF

My lovely 6800gt had this sort of problem only a day after i got it, I was well gutted. The component that overheats afaik is the RAM. Even though its got a one huge f**k off fan on it.

Stupid Nvidia, STUPID!

You're most probably a noob
Old 2007-03-28, 08:08   #12
Gaz
Banned
Supporting Member

I had this issue myself tbh with a Gainward 6800Ultra about a year and a half ago. Made me go and get an x800xt instead.

The bios on the card was fubard, and I was getting artifacts in my mobo bios, startup screens and OS desktop, and it refused to play games. Had to RMA it 3 times before I got a decent one....

after spending £375 on this card (not including registered post to RMA the cards 3 times...) I wasn't very happy lol. To top it all off it was bought from overclockers.co.uk while it was the worst UK internet reseller in the UK... that was fun. Took me 5 days constant phoning to actually GET an RMA form.

GL with the artifacts issue. It can really be a pain in the arse.
Old 2007-03-28, 10:00   #13
Expendable Grunt

So that's what the lines and stuff are called? Artifacts? I didn't know the term, I had been calling them "vectors" for a long while, which naturally means I get no help from anyone who knows what they're doing.
Old 2007-03-28, 21:13   #14
Expendable Grunt

I have blown out the vitals in the PC -- an epic amount of dust came out of the VGA Card's fan/heatsink area. Hopefully this helps!

I've come to realize that this brand of canned air sucks -- cans get cold REALLY freaking fast, faster than I recall them freezing before.
Old 2007-03-29, 15:37   #15
James2785

You might try an air compressor, get a small nozzle for it and back the pressure down so you don't blow anything apart. Try to get a dehumidifier in the air line as well, as there will be some condesation (water) in the air compressor. Make sure to ground the case out as airflow over the metal surface of the case can create a great deal of static, which kills electronics.

I used to use those compressed air cans all the time and got sick of them. They're expensive and run out too quick, or freeze up and can't be used for some time.

Tags
card, gfx, issue