project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2007-09-13, 04:35   #11
Wasteland

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyPissoff View Post
Hang on now...I never said you were incorrect. I did in fact say you were both right. I posted to bring to light the differences in the two bounding methods.
LOL, that's what the smiley's were for!

And fuzz, are you calling me stupid?

Wasteland is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-13, 06:42   #12
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

lol jk hehhe

this was actually a repost from someone from the wiki guide, just transfering it here.

its a good tactics, and yes can get much more advanced but to see at least this level of organisation in PR would be amazing... too bad with the weapons handling currently that these tactics are not too useful (mainly due to lack of usefulness in supresive fire)
fuzzhead is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-13, 07:15   #13
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-PUB]MrD View Post
And they will all work so much better if the respawn time is increased to make players NOT want to die!
And people requesting sniper and marksman kits and thinking, that's the only weapon, that can kill at range...

I still say, it's the problem of too much places, where you can spawn and stupid "tactics", which make a particular enemy die all over because of spawn or base rape...and the issue with flanking a sniper or tank and just as you get there, you get killed...
Thats why I'd like C4 to stay...

Last edited by [R-DEV]Outlawz7; 2007-09-13 at 07:28..
Old 2007-09-13, 12:49   #14
JohnnyPissoff

Yes the suppressive fire is kinda lame for any meaningful real world tactics. Although if used in conjunction with other ground tactics it might just get you by. That's why I posted the thread (fire control) here in this forum.

When BF2 first came out a couple of guys in the clan I was in at the time decided to utilize bounding and fire control (the rest of the clan laughed at us practicing, those guys were the ones that stayed with vBF2 the others and I eventually attempted to start a PR squad for league play)

Anyway we practiced in full servers for hours and days, more or less ignoring the game play and concentrating on bounding to preset destinations (trying more to stay alive than to get kills) and using fire control when caught in the open. Man I gotta tell you we got tight as hell as a team, so this stuff does work. If for at least getting your squad working together as an engine, not several individuals working alone together, because after awhile without calling for it, we would naturally fall into our bounding and firing order.
JohnnyPissoff is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-13, 13:46   #15
[ABA]Littledragon
[ABA] Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-PUB]MrD View Post
And they will all work so much better if the respawn time is increased to make players NOT want to die!.
Oh no if this happens i'll never get in before the end of the match
[ABA]Littledragon is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 00:19   #16
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

yea Johnny has a good point, practising these techniques is great for overall teamwork improvement, getting used to formations, knowing where your squadmates will be ALWAYS (you dont even have to look, you just KNOW where they are cause you have trained so much you know they will be in the right place).

So even if the techniques dont fit exactly the gameplay currently pressent, it will still advance your skills.

And when/if we eventually get PR gameplay to a point where using real world tactics is highly regarded and useful, then you will already be prepared.
Old 2007-09-14, 05:55   #17
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

Problem is, players want to kill other players, not spray bullets at them to make them go hide...

We should remove the points for killing and kill count and only the points from all the rest would count and win.

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 07:11   #18
fuzzhead
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

agreed we need less reward for killing and more reward for staying alive and working as squad... but that is sepereate topic hehe
Old 2007-09-14, 15:09   #19
Outlawz7
Retired PR Developer

But it's more related to this than mother to a son

Outlawz7 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-14, 20:30   #20
Top_Cat_AxJnAt

The issue of how effective suppressing fire in PR is a horribly complex one....

bullet penetration...
visual ID + lighting and camo affect...
range of engagements...
extremity of terrain...
access to equipment...
tactics involving supp. and flank...
varying accuracy of weapons...

All of the above are some of the glorious factors . Fail to consider them all and you will fail to make suppressing fire as effective as it can be in RL! *

Therefore, i believe that one should avoid simplifying the issue by suggesting just 1 or 2 causes and solutions!

A yes Fuzz, lets keep it on topic so...

I have implemented the 'leapfrogging' tactic in game (3-5 times) to an affect.....what affect, cant comment!

Squad organization advise implementation for 'leapfrogging' and The Australian peel tactics:

Organize the squad into 3 fire teams of 2 men each. Name the fire teams 1, 2, and 3.

Ft. 2 contains the squad leader and 1 medic. Ft. 3 contains a support gunner. Therefore Ft. 3 is the most adapt for laying down suppressing fire.

It can be much easier for 2 players to stay very close to one another than it is for 3 players to do so. Therefore the 2 man fire team can often be more organized than a 3 man fire team.
This organization can help then because order is utterly vital for these tactics.

The 'leapfrog' and Aussie peel rely on the same principal; part of the squad suppresses an enemy position, allowing the other part of the squad to move with a increased degree of safety. In the case of the 'leapfrog', part of the squad moves towards the enemy, while in the Aussie peel they move away.

The suppressing fire and movement in terms of the 3 ft.s is as follows:

Ft. 3, using 1 supp. gun can lay about an equal amount of suppressing fire as both Ft. 1 and Ft. 2 combined.
It is vital that the amount of suppressing fire is kept steady (does not decrease) because a decrease in fire can allow the enemy to return fire much easier and therefore suppress you - Your men die and/or cant return fire therefore the 2 tactics will collapse!

Therefore
Ft. 3 should lay down suppressing fire while Ft. 1 and 2 move.
THEN
Ft. 1 and 2 should lay down suppressing fire while Ft. 3 moves.

In certain circumstances:

You can have both Ft. 3 and either Ft. 1 or 2 suppressing while the other Ft. (1 or 2) moves. This means for a short while you can lay down 3/4 of the squads total suppressing fire capacity, rather than just 1/2.

This show the greater flexibility 3 ft.s has over 2 ft.s. With names like 1, 2 and 3, communication is simpler and quicker. E.g 1, 2 - MOVE... 3 - SUPPRESS!!!

When all members of the squad respond (text or mike), i find this method of organization much easier to maintain (ft.s staying alive and together) and as importantly i find tactics such as the leapfrog significantly easier to, quite simply. "Pull off". I hope you may also.

*So Fuzz, am i right to be confident that the DEVs do very much understand the present challenges that face players in-game who try and Pull off Stunts like these, understand why many are unrealistic and are considering ways to remove such!

Last edited by Top_Cat_AxJnAt; 2007-09-14 at 20:41..

Tags
advancing, fire, retreating