project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Bugs
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Bugs If you find a bug within PR:BF2 (including PRSP), please report it here.

Closed Thread

Old 2008-01-05, 18:22   #11
LtSoucy
Supporting Member

Ya its freezing related. Its nothing to do with your game sounds.

Reality Gaming - Making Games Reality
http://realitygamer.org/

Old 2008-01-05, 19:01   #12
Rico11b

I have a buddy that is/was having the same issue. He has an NForce 4 motherboard with a built in Gigabit NIC. On a whim he forced it to run at 10/100 Full duplex, and ran PR/BF2 for several nights now with only ONE crash. It used to crash on him after about 30 to 45 minutes of playing each night, but now he has gone several nights in a row with only the ONE Freeze loop/crash. Not sure if that will be of any help to anyone, but it might help someone. Good luck to yous.

R
Old 2008-01-05, 19:20   #13
fubar++

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jaymz View Post
Because like I said, if a sound is incompatible with the BF2 audio engine, it simply doesn't get played.
This isn't question on imcompatibility rather than fault in sound system. Windows, game engine, driver, you name it, and untill better information I'm suspecting fault in sound driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Jaymz View Post
Look what happens when you take a screenshot. It freezes and constantly loops that last few audio events. That has nothing to do with sound, just like this bug has nothing to do with sound.
I'd say what you are saying doesn't really proof anything. On the contrary many sound settings and and other sound related changes have affected to behavior of this problem, just look at those threads posted earlier. And if I remember correctly I never have had looping sound while taking screenshots.

I don't say that you couldn't be right and the problem isn't sound related, but just saying it can't be doesn't solve much.
Old 2008-01-06, 07:25   #14
unrealalex

It's not sound and this is not a fix. I've been playing on Medium sound settings for 2 days, and I was ready to declare this a fix but it just froze again.
I'm still pretty certain the problem is punkbuster, I've had this problem before on BF2 and COD4 and it was punkbuster.
Old 2008-01-06, 08:14   #15
fubar++

Quote:
Originally Posted by unrealalex View Post
It's not sound and this is not a fix. I've been playing on Medium sound settings for 2 days, and I was ready to declare this a fix but it just froze again.
I'm still pretty certain the problem is punkbuster, I've had this problem before on BF2 and COD4 and it was punkbuster.
As I said earlier I have tried this medium "fix" long time ago and it didn't solve anything. But that doesn't mean it can't be sound related.

Punkbuster is generally a piece of cr*p but please give us some test results to verify.

And yes, I changed soundcard in other PCI slot (IRQ sharing problem in the last chapter at link you posted) and there wasn't any freezing. But again, that doesn't proof it will be fix untill tested further.

Maybe there is several reasons causing freezing, like Punkbuster conflicting Rivatuner, affinity with multicore CPUs and IRQ sharing, or maybe it's all Punkbusters fault (which I wouldn't doubt so much), but it is impossible to know by only one or two user experience.
Last edited by fubar++; 2008-01-06 at 11:17..
Old 2008-01-06, 21:09   #16
OneTinSoldier

Howdy,

[R-Dev]Jaymz, I'm glad you found the article interesting. You're Welcome.

And thanks so much for contributing to making such an awesome mod!! I'm addicted to it, and I'm not ashamed to say it.

Anyway... I should not have said that I believe that this was a 100% fix. What I should have said is this a 100% fix for me. And it is. For an entire week now I have not had one single Looping Sound with System Freeze occur. I play for something like 6-7 hours straight, no problem, almost as solid as a rock. I say almost because I have gotten a couple of CTD's with dump files now. That's a program crash and as much as I play, I consider it to be pretty infrequent and very minor nuisance. But my System is now stable, which is what I really care about. As for Punkbuster, personally I've never had a problem with it except for a short period of time that one of their updates was causing something funky for several days in BF2, but they fixed it with an update. And that's from someone who has been playing the Battlefield series ever since the day BF1942 was released. With one exception, I never bought or played Viet Nam.

I'm sorry to hear this hasn't been a solution for everyone. I hope it can be figured out and fixed for everyone though!!

Cheers
Old 2008-01-07, 09:46   #17
fubar++

Update:

There hasn't been any freezing since soundcard was changed for different PCI slot (maybe 6-10 hours play time totally). It still keeps muting microphone quite often and that can be fixed only reinstalling sound drivers (using latest now). I will report if this doesn't work...

Update 2:

Well it didn't work out, one total freezing today.

I'm starting to hate this sh*t.
Last edited by fubar++; 2008-01-08 at 13:09..
Old 2008-01-07, 11:26   #18
Raic

I had some weird problem with sounds on high too, i heard every sound cleary and things that were on the other end of the map sounded like they were next to me. So, I could hear a enemy APC being started at enemy Main base in my own Main base.
Old 2008-01-08, 17:22   #19
sofad
Retired PR Developer

i would strongly recommend to update your open al wrapper:

download this!

a) Rename the OpenAL wrapper BF2OpenAL.dll in your Battlefield2 directory to something like BF2OpenAL.original

b) install the latest Creative OpenAL32.dll (download the oalinst.exe from the link above and execute the .exe file)

c) Copy wrap_oal.dll (version 2.1.8.1) from WINDOWS\system32 to your Battlefield2 directory.
Check with properties that it really is the latest OpenAL library from Creative.

d) Rename the copied file to BF2OpenAL.dll just to finish clean

of course its also always a good idea to have the latest drivers for your sound card installed:

european creative driver download

american creative drivers download

that dont might fix any of your problems, but to have the audioengine updated cant hurt and might be solve some issues.

reducing the sound hardware acceleration in the dxdiag screens is also sometimes a known sound issues fixer..

Last edited by sofad; 2008-02-01 at 15:14..
Old 2008-01-08, 17:36   #20
=HR=Drayu

If possible make sure that your video card and audio card do not share an IRQ.

Every time I play PR or BF or any mod for that matter, I will lock up for around 10-15 secs, and if a sound was playing it loops. If I wait 10-15 secs, the game then kicks back in and I don't experience it again until I restart BF2 (hinting to me that it is PB related)
Closed Thread

Tags
fix, freeze, looping, problem, sound, system