project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Aircraft Tactics
16 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2009-05-29, 06:39   #11
GLP4X
Default Re: CAS pilots! Don't be afraid to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophatter94 View Post
Not many people do, ...
Because they don't want any TSAs (Tank Shells on Aircraft), APC rounds, MG fire or even small arms fire entering the cockpit.

Hence the term "Death from Above" is used.
GLP4X is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 06:50   #12
Rissien
Supporting Member

The title is named CAS pilots, im sure that would apply to all forms not just one.

MA3-USN Former

クラナド ァフターストーリー
Rissien is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 06:52   #13
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLP4X View Post
Because they don't want any TSAs (Tank Shells on Aircraft), APC rounds, MG fire or even small arms fire entering the cockpit.

Hence the term "Death from Above" is used.
A-10 is made to take that kind of stuff. (With the exception of the tank rounds. lol)

At least be strategic about it. Im not saying get in the enemy's face and take their fire, but get lower.

Look up combat footage of A-10's. They don't typically fly up high and do CCRP style bombing. They get down low and use that gun.

I'd show yall exactly what I mean, but I don't really see any of you. I think they only person I know I've for sure seen is Rudd when I was on the .:iGi:. server.
Wags is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 06:53   #14
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by =]H[=ElvishKnight View Post
The title is named CAS pilots, im sure that would apply to all forms not just one.
I will admit, you have a point there. I should have labelled it something different.
Old 2009-05-29, 07:10   #15
Rudd
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Soz mate, I just woke up, I meant all pilots

Rudd is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 10:21   #16
Punkbuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tophatter94 View Post
You will also gain much respect among the ground-pounders. I know this. This is how I run CAS when I jump in the cockpit.
A few days ago I was on GiB this server, It was kashan and I took the F-16 and lasted for the whole round with 24 kills and of course 0 deaths, 3 MiGs Down and 2 Frogfots by me.
We had a great commander, We won the battle in the end.

a squad (Squad 1) had 2 tank threats near by and the tanks where trying to kill them, So they told the commander and I got the job, I went with no lases, just cordinates and JDAMed the tanks and blew them to pieces.

So then the commander told me that squad 1 is singing your name (Rudy) lol

On that round I landed more than 40 times (Seriousily more than 40)
Punkbuster is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 17:43   #17
Kruder

Well,for the thread starter,go dive and fly low on bunker area with whatever you want(for the fun part do that with an attack chopper),if u manage to spot your target,then come back and do another run,especially against a decent team .

This is what'll happen:in your first run,you'll alert AA,AAV,MANPADs + enemy AC,if opposing team is communicating a little bit,these AA,AAV,MANPADs might be around bunkers(doesnt matter,could be on hills inside the complex etc. doesnt matter,anywhere within 1000 meters of bunker area),anyway,if they didnt have any operators during your first dive all of them will sit back/switch to seats and turn their weapons against sky,once you approach for your "killing" run,you'll hear a lock tone and then just die,without having chance to press X.

You find pilots not diving blindly silly,well if they are silly what is the right word for the guy who lases but doesnt give a simple tip like "a-5ish"?
Kruder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 17:59   #18
Wags

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruder View Post
Well,for the thread starter,go dive and fly low on bunker area with whatever you want(for the fun part do that with an attack chopper),if u manage to spot your target,then come back and do another run,especially against a decent team .

This is what'll happen:in your first run,you'll alert AA,AAV,MANPADs + enemy AC,if opposing team is communicating a little bit,these AA,AAV,MANPADs might be around bunkers(doesnt matter,could be on hills inside the complex etc. doesnt matter,anywhere within 1000 meters of bunker area),anyway,if they didnt have any operators during your first dive all of them will sit back/switch to seats and turn their weapons against sky,once you approach for your "killing" run,you'll hear a lock tone and then just die,without having chance to press X.

You find pilots not diving blindly silly,well if they are silly what is the right word for the guy who lases but doesnt give a simple tip like "a-5ish"?
What I find silly is the pilot who refuses to help allied forces when not given exact info. You wont always get a lase, you wont always get your co'ords. In the meantime while your flying high and tight in the clouds, your men are down there getting pwned by a tank they can even see without getting shot to bits.

I don't see why yall are bringing AA into the scenario. Of course with AA your not going to get low, that's just common sense!
Old 2009-05-29, 18:21   #19
StuTika

They are bringing AA into it because AA is so common on Kashan there is usually AA about when you want to make an attack run.
StuTika is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-29, 18:28   #20
Wags

Here's a scenrio demonstrating what I mean.

We're on a full or next to full Kashan Desert Server. I managed to get the A-10 upon taxi I call out:

"Friendly Air Support is up. Type is an A-10, ETA on station about 1 minute."
"A-10 is taking off."
"A-10 is on station. Air Support is ready."

While flying around I'm going to look at the map to figure out where my forces are. Note: I'm flying at a "safe" altitude. High above the battlefield. Then, lets say about 5 minutes later I get a CAS request:

"Friendly air support, there is a tank in the ridgeline East of the North Bunker, can you take it out?"

"Any co'ords? Can you lase it?"

"Negative."

"Alright. Any known AA in the area?"

"Negative."

"Roger. Will suppress enemy armor in about a minute."

"Okay."

At this point I will begin a desending spiral, I will get at an altitude to where I can see everything on the ground in detail. I will now start to fly in a circular pattern around the ridgeline where the armor was found. This circular pattern is essential as it give a better protection from small arms fire and it gives you a good view of the area. After finding the target, I will now say:

"This is Air Support, I've found the enemy armor, will supress."

I will now stay at the same low level, fly away, turn back, and pick up a new angle on the armor. I will line myself up with the target at a distance and begin my run on it. When close enough I will let rip on the armor with my 30mm cannon. After that I will break hard left, deploying about 5-10 flares during my turn. Now, I'm going to turn back into where I just attacked from a different angle, either re-engaging or checking to see if the target is down. If it is down, fly back up into the "safe" altitude and report what just happened.

"Friendly air support; enemy armor in the East ridgline suppressed."

Using this tactic, I've just taken out an enemy tank without a good co'ord or without a lase. I've also just saved the guys being fired on by the tank.

It's not that hard, and is very effective.

Tags
afraid, cas, pilots