project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2009-07-30, 00:59   #11
Darkkas
Banned
Default Re: hellfire missiles

Please devs reply what u think about this im think this's easy in 0.75 was only from top now its straight ,,, im think its realy possible to make change modes between Straight / up
Darkkas is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 01:25   #12
McBumLuv

It's implemented in CA, and thus can be implemented whenever they want to into PR. Will most likely be featured with a few other related changes like that into 0.9 (my opinion of course, don't take my word for the dev team's :P)
McBumLuv is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 01:31   #13
Darkkas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuv View Post
It's implemented in CA, and thus can be implemented whenever they want to into PR. Will most likely be featured with a few other related changes like that into 0.9 (my opinion of course, don't take my word for the dev team's :P)
Finally TRUE DEV WROTE TO MY THREAD THANK GOD
Old 2009-07-30, 01:42   #14
McBumLuv

Why is everything I say misinterpreted
McBumLuv is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-07-30, 01:48   #15
Darkkas
Banned

because in pr DEV-team working 10 mans and when u suggest something they just keep sayin' HARDCODED , hardcoded and u only 1 man BAM CARRIER working next u said will make eject seat u are like god in DEV i have tons of suggestions u can look at my , all threads And in every of those threads devs sayin HARDCODED , HARDCODED ....
Old 2009-07-30, 01:51   #16
joethepro36

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuv View Post
Why is everything I say misinterpreted
He's just expressing his gratitude is all!

Anyway, I wouldn't mind having the top attack ability ingame as it means the people below tend not to see the missile heading their way whatsoever.
joethepro36 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 13:24   #17
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member
Default Re: hellfire missiles (Top Attack)

What's the status, this gonna be in PR 1.0 ?

And thought this was fitting...

Daniel is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 14:25   #18
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
What's the status, this gonna be in PR 1.0 ?

And thought this was fitting...

Interesting video, never seen that one before but it is the way I've thought about experimenting with this idea before but never got round to it since I've had soo many other more important things on my plate.

Basically the "traditional way" of coding a top down attack missile is to have a laser target as part of the tank / other vehicle your trying to destroy (which we don't have in PR as that would remove the need of the SOFLAM) and then have the top down attack missile track this, pretty much in the same way jet's Maverick tracks the tanks in the main base (which tbh isn't actually a top down attack...) The way this is archived is by having the missile fired in a "unlocked" mode, with a massive anti-gravity value which makes it fly up in the air, then after its "lock delay" of about 1 sec is over, its high up in the air then searches for a target, finds the nearest target (if there is one) and then flys down onto it from the height its been able to archive in its lock delay. The problem with this system, ignoring the fact that all the vehicles need a laser target on them like vBF2, is that its very, very, very unreliable. It only works at certain distances, too close or too far away, and the missile wont see the target that you have "locked onto" on the HUD before fire. Also because the missile has such a massive locking angle to be able to find a target while high up in the sky, it can easily mistake a friendly target for a foe, even if you locked onto the enemy target on the HUD, the missile has a mind of its own and will go for the most convenient target (ie, closest) no matter what side its on.

The Maverick fired from the F-16 in that above vid actually works in pretty much the same way as our air to ground missiles work in normal PR, only difference is there missiles do not rely on a SOFLAM laser target to be fired at the vehicle as the vehicle already has a laser target on it and they have some fancier huds than we do

The interesting thing about that video is how the chopper fired hellfires worked, which is something very different from the traditional way of coding top-down attacks. This is that it doesn't use a laser target to lock onto the object, it uses the normal TV Guided system we currently see on choppers, difference is the missile is fired upwards towards the sky instead of directly forwards and then has to turn back down towards the target.

TBH at the end of the day this is really just a "cool feature" that within PR, doesn't add very much as a hellfire missile with a direct hit will kill a tank any side it hits on as it stands currently, and doesn't need to penetrate the weaker top armour. So its quite low priority but it would be nice to have ingame

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2012-08-15, 15:10   #19
Daniel
Banned
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
... it would be nice to have ingame
Oh yes, and how... for example then you could have as gunner (in Apache for example, as now) number 1 = cockpit view, 2 = gun, 3 = LG direct, 4 = LG top attack, 5 = LT direct, 6 = LT top attack... (So numbers 3 and 5 fire missile in horizontal angle, like currently in PR, so stays, and number 4 and 6 fire it in that 30? or so angle into the sky... )

I'm pretty sure this would work out pretty easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliegrs View Post
I wouldnt mind a top attack mode option in PR {if its even possible} i can think of a few times on muttrah ive fired a hellfire at an apc and ended up hitting a building instead if i had top attack it probably would have worked alot better.
^
THIS and also it is annoying when shooting a guided missile on a fast moving vehicle, that you have to click in FRONT of the vehicle while the missile is already in flight to make the missile hit the target... -.- top attack mode would then also make it easier to adjust the flight path in this case, to adjust it more efficient... (You won't hit earth or buildings that easy anymore)

Last edited by Daniel; 2012-08-15 at 15:17..
Old 2012-08-15, 16:40   #20
Hotrod525

I think the way the hellfire missiles are depicted in PR are fine the way they are right now. BF2 is getting older every day, and the engine is far from perfect. Adding more code and more code and more code to acheive nothing more than what you got right now... you known when you're flying over 20 feets you're almost always doing a top attack.

Personaly, if they can acheive this ;

ill be glad too
Hotrod525 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
attack, hellfire, missiles, top