project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2009-09-15, 19:45   #11
CAS_117

Default Re: 'Unguided' Hellfire Missiles

Well the system is used for all armed aircraft really, not just attack heloes. LGBs, AGMs etc.
CAS_117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 21:53   #12
StuTika

So does it function like that other guy said? Like vBF2 TV-guided missles but with the camera on the chopper not on the missile?

Stu.
StuTika is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 22:01   #13
CAS_117

Yes that's how it works.
Old 2009-09-15, 22:37   #14
Sparatan117

lol so its like the "hydra" should be only with a little more punch
Sparatan117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-15, 22:56   #15
CAS_117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparatan117 View Post
lol so its like the "hydra" should be only with a little more punch
Heh, I guess that's one way of putting it; Our hydras are not linked to any fire control I'm afraid. I figured that would be a bit much for our first release...
Old 2009-09-16, 00:20   #16
Solid Knight

I experimented with putting the hydras on a rotational bundle and entering a mode where you can swivel launchers around and fire them. It makes flying a bit weird though.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 12:25   #17
Sparatan117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Knight View Post
I experimented with putting the hydras on a rotational bundle and entering a mode where you can swivel launchers around and fire them. It makes flying a bit weird though.
you know that they only move up or down 15 degrees right?
Sparatan117 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-16, 22:20   #18
Solid Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparatan117 View Post
you know that they only move up or down 15 degrees right?
That's a lot more than I thought. It's fifteen degrees in either direction or total? Currently I just set mine to three degrees of elevation and seven degrees of depression for a total of ten degrees. It made attacking ground targets a hell of a lot easier since you no longer had to dive so steeply to do it.
Solid Knight is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-17, 01:56   #19
Hunt3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestial1 View Post
Agreed. Would love to see this added to the current PR helicopter arsenal, or even replacing the current guided missile mode altogether.

Man, you CA guys are one step ahead.

I disagree. That thread refers to having helicopters lock on to all vehicles, whereas I am simply suggesting a point-and-click firing mode.

And until laser-ing requires the laser-ee to stand and hold the button while aiming at the target to sustain the lase, I will have none of this 'more realistic' business!
If I haven't gone completely batty, a "realistic" lasing system would mean that you don't lase manually, and instead the fire control system uses it to range to see if you are within parameters for launch, and the tracking business (the "lock") is accomplished by sensors that track it within the camera and whatnot
Launch guidance still uses a laser though, but it's automatic. Doing it manually risks burning out a laser, so letting the computers mess with the laser instead is a better idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy9Y5so5UEk&fmt-22

This is basically what taking down tanks and APCs should look like.
Last edited by Hunt3r; 2009-09-17 at 03:40..
Old 2009-09-17, 05:09   #20
Celestial1

From the Video, 2:12.

The Vikhr ATGM uses "a beam riding system, which is quite a bit different than a system like the Hellfire for the Apache, which homes in on a laser spot. Rather, the Vikhr kind of rides down the laser beam from the launch aircraft to the target..."

Not sure how the hellfire works, but apparently it's not like the Vikhr, so as far as I can tell your video is a moot point since it doesn't apply to any aircraft not using the Vikhr ATGM system, or any other similar system...
Celestial1 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
hellfire, missiles, unguided