project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Suggestions Archives
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2006-07-26, 11:25   #11
Bob_Marley
Retired PR Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malik
I noticed today how ridiculously innaccurate the DMRs are. The SPR seems pretty much perfect, but the Dragunov and Type 98 are ridiculous. What's the point in having the sniper rifle if it's deviation and settle time are actually worse than an assault rifle? From 50m away, marksman vs rifleman should result in the marksman winning. I think their stats need adjusting so they're at least level with the assault rifles, they should be outperforming all the assault rifles without having to wait hours for the rifle to magically prepare itself.
Exactly, in relaity you can "reach out and touch" some one with an SVD at 600m, and as the ranges for snipers in BF range (generally) from 50-400m why the hell is the drag so damn inaccurate? I'm annyoied by this, and I'm not even a sniper (cant use the things for toffie). Ah well, I suppose some one is going to yell "balance" at me a minute, so I'll just wander off..

The key to modernising any weapon is covering them in glue and tossing them in a barrel of M1913 rails until they look "Modern" enough.

Many thanks to [R-DEV]Adriaan for the sig!
Old 2006-07-26, 11:34   #12
Malik
Banned

I think in 0.4 the snipers should just be given M16s as they're plenty more accurate...

There's no reason why the snipers should be a part of the whole balance thing. Snipers should lose the grenades and the suppressor and start getting more accuracy. I have no problem with the M24 at the moment, though I think the settle time should be decreased somewhat and the deviation needs dropping a bit too. As for the DMRs, well they're all fairly imperfect. Does anyone know where to find the config files for their stats? Because I find it odd how my M16 can zero in in less than a second, but my Dragunov takes 4 times as long, and even then it's just luck whether I hit anything or not. The recoil is also a lot greater than that of the those rifles, the assault rifles always bounce back to where you were aiming, the Dragunovs just don't. The sniper, the dedicated KILLING class should surely be more suitable for actually doing that? Whether they have to be limited or not, I don't mind, I just hope these things get realistic characteristics.
Old 2006-07-26, 11:43   #13
RangerRuss

Is there anyway that you could introduce a bipod for the sniper and GPMG class as this would be a cool feature and would improve acuracy, only taking a bit of time to set up, but this would be cool?
Old 2006-07-26, 12:17   #14
Thunder

i agree with malik and bob marley on the point about the accuacy of the assualt rifles,

as for the holding breath thing do snipers really do that? i thought they squeezed the trigger as they slowly breathed out.

as for the SVD and type 98 i think they are a bit inacuarate due fact they are semi auto (which is unbalancing it's self because the US rifles totally out class them)

when they are limited in .4 i see them becoming alot more powerfull, but i can also see them becoming the classic lone wolf weapon, for topping scoreboards.
its the reason i never played MOH or COD online just because sniper rifles where the only kit worth play.

also snipers should have a lower sprint to repesent the drugs they take to suppress the adrenalin
Last edited by Thunder; 2006-07-26 at 12:24..
Old 2006-07-26, 12:32   #15
Dandy

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by [5NFSO]Thunder
as for the holding breath thing do snipers really do that? i thought they squeezed the trigger as they slowly breathed out.
The most normal methos used by snipers is holding their breath. You take a deep breathe, then you breathe out, then their is a stage just before breathing in again. You can hold your breathe for 8-10 seconds in that stage.

Cause if you fill your lungs whit air and hold your breathe you wll tense some muscles and that could effect your shot. But just betwin breathing in again you are very relaxed now tensed muscled and from that stage squeeze the trigger.
Old 2006-07-26, 13:13   #16
MrD
Supporting Member

I was always taught with firearms to half breathe out, then aim and fire. you have enough oxygen to make the shot without trembling from too much oxygen, then if you take too long you start to waver from lack of oxygen.

and that's a method I have fully tested out again and again and again and it is true (my A level Biology says it's true too!!)

it's worked from air rifles, to lee enfields, to SLR's, to SA80's, to bolt action sniper rifles. It was only the Milan scope I got to breathe with, when you have to talk your way through firing so the number 2 knows when to detach casing and reload, plus he's on comms to the sergeant behind us

[R-MOD]Mongolian Dude:
AH man, sarcasm is so hard to get across the web, even if we are both british
[R-DEV]Jaymz: That has to be...the most epic response to a welcome thread I have ever seen. [R-CON]Mr.D ladies and gentlemen!
Old 2006-07-26, 15:39   #17
Nuclearmissile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan
No, not exagerated at all. I get an average 150 ping, and it does take my 1-2 seconds to hit at 350 meters.
no wonder i suck at sniping on the GloryHoundz server i have a ping of about 300
Old 2006-07-26, 15:45   #18
sniper@THEwrongFlag
Banned

people just don't understand snipers. we have to sneak and peek not run and gun. shoot and then move - TO THE WRONG FLAG !!!!!!
Old 2006-07-26, 15:56   #19
Nuclearmissile

and when youre at the wrong flag what doyou do?
start teamkilling?
lol, that would be funny"Commander ive got a target, firing now"
"target down"
itll say commander is kia and then
"Sir, sir, do you read me? where is he? who took you down?"
lol
Old 2006-07-26, 16:17   #20
][V][essiah

There's a lot of things about sniping that people either don't understand or take for granted.

First is the difference between how the Marines and the Army use their snipers. The marines prefer to cut their snipers loose to go wreak havok on the enemy, whereas the Army like to keep it's snipers close by. Snipers are excellent at gathering intel and just getting you a general heads up of what's around you or what's going on in a combat situation.

Second, snipers don't work alone. There's always a spotter. When you say sniper, you're talking about 2 highly trained soldiers. Both Sniper school grads, a tremendus feat in and of itself, and both able to strike targets at ranges most people wouldn't even be able to see the target.

Now, some people have the right idea, that it's not the weapon, it's the sniper. That's right. Modern sniper rifles are pinpoint accurate, duh, that's why they're sniper rifles. They're not only accurate, but devestatingly effective. It's not one shot, one kill just because the sniper hit his mark. It's also because the rounds are chosen for their balistic characteristics, and the damage done to the target as well. A medic friend of mine treated a number of gunshot wounds. He treated an Iraqi police officer who'd been shot with a captured M24. His upper thigh was essentially turned into hamburger. The round struck the femur and exploded into hundreds of tiny fragments. THAT is why you don't walk away from a hit from a sniper when the rifle is in the right hands.

In game, because of the gap between fantasy and reality, whoever gets the sniper rifle will just have to be assumed to have the training to fire it as there are very few ways to simulate the needed skills. The only thing I can think of is to add a breathing system, a-la AA, but that can be a potential problem if by some fluke, you get a noob with a sniper rifle. The only logical way around it is to make the rifles accurate & devestating.

IMO that's the only way to simulate, not sniping, but the impact a sniper has on the battlefield.

Tags
accuracy, riffle, sniper