project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Factions > Mapping
22 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2011-01-16, 00:12   #11
Amok@ndy
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: [MAP] Rajantie 2km

could be a simple problem with the editor
what i tested once on one of my maps was the maximum limit of overgrowth
its about ~200.000 objects if you reach a count like this, no OG objects will appear ingame they are just invisible

Amok@ndy is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 00:16   #12
splatters

Ok, cheers! I think I have some experimenting ahead. And if the overgrowth must go over the limit and I can't get the lightmaps to render then I'll photoshop them or something!
splatters is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 00:58   #13
Zulnex
Supporting Member

Looking very good. Keep up the excellent work.

Zulnex is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 02:01   #14
AFsoccer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Looks like you're off to a great start!

It's great that you're using a real location. Although you can adapt it as much as needed to make it more "playable", it's always nice to have a real world reference so that it looks as realistic as possible. Looking at the satellite image, there seems to be a lot of forest and not much else, so you might want to add features that would make for good flags, like a railroad station, small villages, etc...

Definitely read through the tutorials, but we're also here if you run into problems or want more feedback.

AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 18:43   #15
sylent/shooter

I'd be interested in learning to trace the isolines to a heightmap:P Could be something you could make a great tutorial on. Anyways great job with the map, the colour map looks amazing
sylent/shooter is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-16, 20:11   #16
Engineer

Nice looking map, hopefully I can see it ingame too

Quote:
Originally Posted by splatters View Post
I haven't decided any CP or base locations yet, but I think the Finnish base will be in the NW corner and Russian Deployment area in the SE corner to maximise the game area.
The map seems to be rather "straight forward" type of map. I can see a clear line from the SE corner to NW corner thus I'd imagine this purely a defensive map for the Finns.

Not really sure what is the Dev's thumb rule for flags that cannot be captured if lost, but that should truly put more effort on defending and fierce firefights.

Here is a pic what I had in my mind about the layout, maybe it will give you ideas too when designing the CP's. Starting from the SE corner.

1 - First white flag: Flag for the Russians to get a "hold" on the fighting ground. Finns can try to pay some time by doing quick attacks towards the Russians, but quite fast the flag will turn for the Russians.

2 - Second white flag: White flag, but the Finns can capture this first if they are fast. The downsize is that the Finns should have stopped to build a strong base at the first Blue flag (3) to provide enough defence around the area. If done correctly, the position of the flag is such centric and narrow, that big firefight is needed to get this flag. Especially if the Russians have heavier stuff, it shouldn't be unbreakable. As both the Finns and the Russians have a "flag" nearby, the firebases built could feed the fighting over the control of this area. This flag can be taken back if lost.

3 - First blue flag: This is the place where the Finns should stop at the start, the key point for winning or losing of this fight. Natural place for base to provide troops towards second white flag. Problem is, that this point can be approached from multiple different locations and supply routes then destroyed, should have some statics to give this area a strong defensive environment. If this are would be lost, it will definitely turn the tide for the Russians to be able to push further and far easier as in start.

4 - Second blue flag: Place which the Finns can skip completely at the start. A last position to defend to prevent the Russians to reach the Rajantie and to continue advance. Purely defence to keep the pressure up for the Finns to defend, and for the Russians to attempt to break thru.

5 - Last blue flag: This is where the Finns start -> A rush start to defend/take flags 3 and 2. If Russians reach here, Rajantie has been overtaken.
Last edited by Engineer; 2011-01-16 at 20:26..
Old 2011-01-16, 23:22   #17
AFsoccer
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Just a quick thought: Having a flag at point #2 might be a bad idea. The water creates a very narrow approach from the north and south so it doesn't allow any maneuvering/flanking.

AFsoccer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 02:30   #18
dtacs
Supporting Member

The Patria AMV's/BMP-2's (Finnish APC's) are amphibious as are all Russian APC's.
If the CV9030 is featured it could be a problem but both forces shouldn't have issues pushing the others off with proper techniques.

Great looking map, reminds me of Highway to Hell in PoE2.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 06:02   #19
Hulabi
Supporting Member

The Finnish AMV's are actually too heavy to be amphibious, The BMP2 and Sisu ''Pasi' Xa-188 are amphibious tho.
Hulabi is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-17, 06:37   #20
dtacs
Supporting Member

I'd have to ask you for a source on that. What differs in its swimming capability compared to the Croatian or Swedish versions?
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
2km, fdf, map, rajantie, wip