project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR Feedback Archives > PR v0.7 Feedback Forum
20 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on the minimap?
Bring the minimap back 123 28.21%
Do not bring the minimap back 277 63.53%
I don't care 36 8.26%
Voters: 436. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2008-02-15, 00:04   #201
Ace42
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]OkitaMakoto View Post
I actually thought the same thing a few days ago
Great minds...
Old 2008-02-15, 01:13   #202
ReaperMAC

So used to pressing F now (its my Map key), so I've adapted and overcame! WTG DEVs!
Old 2008-02-19, 19:52   #203
OverwatchX
Supporting Member

Default Glad Minimap is gone

FWIW, I've wanted the minimap removed since Day 1. It has no place in a reality mod. If you feel at a disadvantage because you dont have it, neither does your enemy.

I am sooo glad its gone and I think it took guts for the PR team to remove it. I really do. Excellent step forward guys. Excellent.

Also, I think spotted could be partially returned but only accessible through binoculor views only (if that is possible). Although I do kinda like it as a specialty for those the laser designators etc and officers. But, as I said, as a compromise, if it could be limited to the binocs view only, Id be okay with it. Otherwise, leave it as is.

Realism and fun aren't mutually exclusive.
Last edited by OverwatchX; 2008-02-19 at 19:58..
Old 2008-02-22, 15:33   #204
Jaitara_X

The person who made the first post (i.e. the Thread-Starter) was right in a way about why the minimap should be removed. In r/l, you DO usually train with the same people, and you DO usually learn to identify who's who in your squad/platoon. Proper training in the army will teach you that.

However, in the heat of battle, sh*t can get a little crazy. Even when just playing paintball with friends, when the leaves on the ground start shooting up into the air from unseen impacts and the crack of enemy fire against stone and trees begins ringing through the air, most people tend to go into battle mode. All they see is moving targets. Many people will complain that they keep killing team members because they can't identify them.

What they really mean is, "I'm too panicked when I fight, and I shoot at whatever looks threatening at the time because I'm afraid they'll get me first if they happen to be enemies." Please understand, this is NOT meant to be a jab or an insult or whatever; it's normal human psychology. Even in the Tournament as a sniper, completely removed from the action, I've accidentally capped a friend in the leg once or twice because I wasn't waiting patiently enough to identify them before I fired, and thought that if I didn't shoot them right then, they'd be right on top of my mates trying to storm the CP, and they'd all be wiped out because of it.

The simple way to counteract this is to pay attention to your army's (or the enemy's) uniform and know it visually above all things. Even at 200m away, a Chinese Rifleman looks different than a British one, and the same goes with USMC/MEDI infantry. The minimap, as described above, is a bit unrealistic, as the ability to know at a glance where all friendlies are within a 100m to 150m radius is a bit of a stretch I'm personally glad that it's removed. The MAP is also "unrealistic", as far as being simply a larger version of the minimap, but at least those of us upset about the minimap's removal have that much to look at, so I'm not bothered about it. Besides, even a realism game is allowed to have little bends where reality is momentarily absent

About the markers... they're okay, but I think it'd be awesome if, in addition to a little flashing red icon showing up on the map, a flashing red icon on the player's screen popped up, just like the attack/move markers. These, unlike the map icons, would be squad-only as far as who could see them, and would be representative of the squadleader grabbing the Grenadier to the left of him and going, "Listen, mate, we got an MG nest over there. **points** B*ll*cks it up for me a bit, why don't ya?"

Otherwise, I'm quite happy with the system the PR Dev team has incorporated ^-^
Old 2008-03-05, 19:45   #205
Ajikan

Im an old player returning, and im not staying for long.
Only reason is the minimap. I would be fine with the spotting being taken out, as i never cared for that, but it buggs me not to know where my team is. This makes the game feel restricted and im sure most soldiers arent stiffnecked and looks trough a tube (narrow vision).

In the end i think this hurts the mod.
It will gain little to no new players.
If your not in a clan or have a really *** good sl, its just not fun.

I'll be back next ver, if the minimaps back
Old 2008-03-05, 20:04   #206
Antonious_Bloc

Funny that, we seem to have gained many new players with the 0.7 release.

Anyway, you can still see where your team is, you just have to hit one extra key
Old 2008-03-05, 22:06   #207
Sabre_tooth_tigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]OkitaMakoto View Post
I actually thought the same thing a few days ago about showing civy kills on the upper left text. It would help keep people in check, or let the team[namely admins] decide more how to act on the persons behaviour.
Good idea

Minimap loss didnt turn out as bad as I thought it could but I'd still prefer it to return but no biggie I guess
Old 2008-03-05, 22:12   #208
Ajikan

New players as in, "wheres minimap guyz??" "oh sorry i gotz lost.lol" those are there at every new releas, wont stick around or contribute.
Atleast it should be an option for the host to include minimap or not, if you really hate it, you should be able to turn it off....so youll get that all so important empty space in the upper right corner.
In sence of reality vs fun, i think fun drew the short straw, and reality didnt gain much compared.
Old 2008-03-08, 09:12   #209
DannyIMK

Bring Back The Minimap, Its Annoying All Time To Click M And The Whole Screen Is Map, Minimap Should back
Old 2008-03-09, 15:17   #210
Cyrax-Sektor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyIMK View Post
Bring Back The Minimap, Its Annoying All Time To Click M And The Whole Screen Is Map, Minimap Should back
If you adjust the opacity of the map in your options, the map can be transparent. Handy when you're walking with your map up.

Tags
feedback, minimap, removal, v07