project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mini-Mods > PR:Falklands General Discussion
21 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:Falklands General Discussion General discussion of the Project Reality Falklands modification.

Old 2017-10-04, 12:02   #231
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Default Re: Ask the PR:F Team a Question

Ye, not going to have two rounds with different velocities especially since that would be unrealistic without the HE-ER round at the very least.

As for Air Burst round vs aircraft, since this is programmed into the round a split second before firing, having a different ammo type would mean you would have to wait before you could fire it, or if having no delay between switching round types which I would rather not have since that wouldn't be realistic either (since the round type needs to be fed into the weapon's own magazine before being able to be loaded and fired. This is also not to forget the problems with ammo/mag linking with two different weapons which in reality, are the same shell type.

As such my plan right now is to just have the standard HE round has an aircraft proximity sensor on it at all times, and if it comes close to an aircraft, it will detonate, but if not, it will detonate on impact, allowing the same round to be used in both an air defence mode, and an artillery mode, as per r/l, the only difference is where the fire control radar isn't programming the fuse before launch but in-game the fuse decides what to do in flight depending on what is around it. But we have only done some very basic testing of this concept so far and needs more testing to see if it is workable in a public server.

As for the RE and Illumination rounds, yes I plan on looking into both

Old 2017-10-04, 14:58   #232
blayas

Very very promising, thanks Rhino. I am really seeing the fragat as a complete weapons platform to work supporting the team, Even the lynx crew can be used for reconnaissance and firing direction under certain circumstances.
Old 2017-10-04, 15:23   #233
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

indeed, + more

Old 2017-10-04, 16:38   #234
Ivancic1941

I somehow feel that Frigate will be easy target with all that bombers in air....

So now you are hoping to get M2 and SuperExtenderat for next release? And frigate? Will that be final of Falkland from you,ofcourse?

Why not moving Atlantic Conveyer by computer? So it sails through sea north of falkalnd map,slowly of course so helicopters dont have any issue (moving ships problem). Example; https://youtu.be/L3k6z0QB808
Old 2017-10-04, 23:57   #235
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivancic1941 View Post
I somehow feel that Frigate will be easy target with all that bombers in air....
It is a pretty easy target, yes, but it won't go down without a fight and providing the CAP (jets) dose their job they won't be fighting them off alone either

Quote:
So now you are hoping to get M2 and SuperExtenderat for next release? And frigate? Will that be final of Falkland from you,ofcourse?
More besides that and can't say if it will all be ready for the next main PR:F update (let alone next release) but even after all that is in that also doesn't necessarily mean the end of PR:F's development either.

Quote:
Why not moving Atlantic Conveyer by computer? So it sails through sea north of falkalnd map,slowly of course so helicopters dont have any issue (moving ships problem). Example; https://youtu.be/L3k6z0QB808
Well, I'm assuming that train there works by basically being guided by the train tracks and having a constant engine pushing it.

The biggest issue with having the AC move is really the size of the thing combined with where it sails. If I have it sailing in a straight line, then even at slow speeds, it will eventually sail off the map and will then explode by hitting the surrounding water death mat.
I could have it sail around in circles in the NE corner of the map but that would look a little silly, but possibly better than it sitting dead in the water
Any more complex paths will require some clever coding which is out of my coding skillz, or like the train example above, having a physical track/path it is locked to and have it follow, but again, will need to be some kind of loop otherwise it will sail off the map within the round time frame.

It is something, however, I have thought about, just never had any time to look into it

I have also considered making it player controllable but this would most likely lead to it either being sailed to a part of a map where it either can't be found easily and is no use to the team, or totally the opposite etc, with most likely someone grounding the ship on the shoreline for a bit of fun

Old 2017-10-05, 00:25   #236
blayas

What if this is done by a limited waypoint system, defined by the commander just as it was done with the titans in the bf2142?
Old 2017-10-05, 00:47   #237
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Think we would need the 2142 engine to do that, or some very heavy python coding

Old 2017-10-05, 05:16   #238
Jagira

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
Think we would need the 2142 engine to do that, or some very heavy python coding
But you do have the 2142 engine.
Old 2017-10-05, 13:01   #239
Ivancic1941

Thanks for clarification Rhino! Always nice to hear you!

One offtopic question: Im making map, but for FH2. So, stupid bf2 engine water. Yes, water can be placed only horizontal which totaly destroys ability to make little stream on hilly terrain - only big rivers ~ well.. water is complete crap. So did you ever tryed making Stream Effect, which can be placed? Something like that would probably be best thing mapper could get.. Also if posible,will it be possible to react as water (sound when you walking over, etc.)
Old 2017-10-05, 17:05   #240
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagira View Post
But you do have the 2142 engine.
Not quite a simple and copy and paste job, so much stuff would break from moving to the 2142 engine and we would also lose features at the same time.

Quote:
Thanks for clarification Rhino! Always nice to hear you!

One offtopic question: Im making map, but for FH2. So, stupid bf2 engine water. Yes, water can be placed only horizontal which totaly destroys ability to make little stream on hilly terrain - only big rivers ~ well.. water is complete crap. So did you ever tryed making Stream Effect, which can be placed? Something like that would probably be best thing mapper could get.. Also if posible,will it be possible to react as water (sound when you walking over, etc.)
Cheers.

Best way to do a stream going down a hill in BF2 is to do it in lots of increments between waterfalls with waterplanes on different levels between each waterfall. Almost 10 years ago now I did make a really crappy stream/rapids effect for my little river in Qinling which used this method of descending down a slope though lots of increments but the effects themselves where pretty poor (where my first attempts at them ) so wouldn't recommend using them, although you can probably dig them out of the PR files still (or older PR versions) and use them as a foundation but your not going to get anything like you can get these days with newer engines. Can see the effects and the river increments a bit in this video here:

BTW any future questions on mapping best to make a topic in the community modding forums.

Tags
ask rhino a question, falklands, poxo is ghey, prf, prfalklands, question, team