project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > Project Reality Mod Archives > PR General Discussion Archives
28 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2007-02-14, 23:29   #21
Rico11b

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]eggman
wrt the 0.32 weapon characteristics .. the sniper rifles in 0.32 still had the very artificially tweaked BF2 weapon modelling applied. The PR weapons all follow a pretty similar methodology of determining recoil and such. With the sniper being a limited kit, there's no reason to artificially nerf them as vBF2 had it.

wrt grass draw distances, yeah it's a problem. We're gonna finish up our mapping guidelines. This will include letting mappers know that grass is purely decorative and for immersion purposes and should not be used in such a way that makes players think they can hide in it from long distance vantage points. Rolling hills and elevation changes can allow for grass that can be hidden in, but tall grass viewed across a flat plane from a view distance of much more than 70m is uh.. non existant to the viewer.

we're also working on our own grass type objects. these are used in the v0.5 Hills of Hamgyong and a few other maps. This stuff will draw at very long view ranges and is still very efficient in terms of graphics horsepower required. We'll get some more of that into maps as we can.

thanks for the comments about the mod .. enjoy

WOW! 70 meters or so huh? I hadn't thought about it being that short of a distance. Now that I went and checked it seems you are CORRECT. It seems to be somewhere between 70 to 90 meters depending on where you are on the map. Being that I didn't spawn with a rangefinder it was hard to be exact. Not that I didn't believe you in the first place, cause I did. It's sometimes best for me to get smacked in the face with the cold hard facts Maybe I'm just a freak

Question: If you find that the type of grass you guys are working provides works well. Will it be difficult to add it to the maps we have already? Or will their need to be new maps created that look like the ones we have now?
Old 2007-02-14, 23:40   #22
Rico11b

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaedalusAI1
Snipers are pretty cool and effective in this game, i just don't understand why there is so much bullet drop. What is the distance that is dead on in this game? I know in the Marines you sight your rifle for 300 yards to be dead on, so if you don't ajust your sigts for 200 yards, you would hit a little high. seems like on this game you have to aim a bit high at 100y. I would rather have the sight dead on at 200y and ajust my aim down a bit for shorter range since view distance isn't all that far in game. Would definately help when using iron sights on the other rifles, or if possible have the ability to ajust sights, not sure how plausible that is though. Just my 2 cents. As far as stabbing snipers, it is always fun , in general, snipers zone out while looking through their scope and stop listening to footsteps.

I haven't had any issues with holdover in the game unless I'm trying to hit a VERY distant target. Say 250 meters or more. Since I don't have a rangefinder in game I can't be exact. At 100 yards or meters if you prefer, I can get a headshot while standing if I take my time, without having to holdover any at all. Maybe the recoil is giving the impression holdover. I'm not sure how to square you away on this one. All I can say is I'm not seeing that issue on my end. As far as adjustable sights. I don't think that is in BF2 or Project Reality. I haven't heard of that since America's Army.

Later
R

Tags
rules, sniper