project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
21 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

Old 2017-10-12, 11:26   #21
The_Turkish_Moose
Supporting Member

Default Re: [Map] Farah (2km) [WIP]

Quote:
I don't think there are any tractors in BF2, or even static ones. The only tractor I've ever come across is in FH2, but that's a WW2 era tractor .

Perhaps you could use a plough though, there's a modern one, which was part of one of the xpacks, so I think that's in the xpack folder. There's also a somewhat older plough, which is used in PR:WW2.
Ok no worries - there are some BF2 road textures which have big wheel tracks that look similar to tractor tyres and I was hoping to add it near the road. I already have the modern plough in the middle of some of my fields!

Quote:
I was going through the available road textures and came across the rubber matting that I've seen in the map Kashan Desert. What is it actually used for? I would love to add it to my US base but I'm not sure how to go around it?

ALSO

there's a lot of lovely road textures which would bring a lot of extra detail into the map (such as oil spills & sand e.c.t). Would this be performance friendly?

FINALLY

what helipad would you recommend I use?
Can anyone help me with these questions?

Also, any construction type vehicles like fork lifts e.c.t?

Last edited by The_Turkish_Moose; 2017-10-12 at 12:16..
Old 2017-10-14, 08:58   #22
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f18...ing-paths.html

Images and download links are down but all the files I think are in the mod so no need for the files and can find the refs online, and then hopefully you can do the tut without the pics.

And there is a forklift in PR but it is drivable, although could be made into a non-usable vehicle.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-14, 19:51   #23
The_Turkish_Moose
Supporting Member

Thanks again Rhino!

The_Turkish_Moose is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-14, 20:01   #24
VTRaptor

Screenshots are gone. Try hostiing them on imgur perhaps, it's way better.
VTRaptor is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-15, 16:16   #25
The_Turkish_Moose
Supporting Member

Quote:
Screenshots are gone. Try hostiing them on imgur perhaps, it's way better.
Ok I'll check it out or use TinyPic in worst case scenario

Old 2017-10-15, 18:36   #26
AfterDune
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

We used a construction vehicle in "Sandin" back then. If you could dig that up, you could use that as well. Its texture is meh obviously, but I believe the original was from the Surreal mod (with permission if I remember correctly).

AfterDune is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-16, 21:02   #27
The_Turkish_Moose
Supporting Member

There's a lot of lovely road textures which would bring a lot of extra detail into the map (such as oil spills, sand, road edges e.c.t) how many road splines would be "too many"? I've already been placing plenty (mainly the road edge texture) and am worried about performance.

I need to know urgently as not to waste my own time - thanks

Old 2017-10-16, 22:43   #28
[R-DEV]​Mr.VdHeide
PR:BF2 Developer

I dont think the impact will be big at all, like, unless you go create 200 roads or something. I guess you could count a road as a couple of pieces of overhrowth in terms of performance impact. I wouldnt worry about it, especialy since this is a desert map. Just try it. And check performance in game on a regular base.

Also . Roads cull way earlier then most objects, like 50 meter or something.

D.J.

Mr.VdHeide is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-17, 05:03   #29
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Ye roads don't have a big impact on performance. Naturally, don't go crazy with them but the bigger thing to watch out for is using too many road texture types than actual roads I would say, just cos of the extra memory usage but even that isn't a huge issue.

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2017-10-17, 18:36   #30
The_Turkish_Moose
Supporting Member

Quote:
the bigger thing to watch out for is using too many road texture types than actual roads I would say, just cos of the extra memory usage but even that isn't a huge issue.
Quote:
I dont think the impact will be big at all, like, unless you go create 200 roads or something
Of course using as few textures as possible!

Here's the idea...

...but here's the worry

This style/technique isn't consistent throughout the entire map. I like the way it looks and I will be going over these areas adding extra detail and undergrowth. Just worried that too many splines could be a dangerous move. Only using a hand full of textures.

Tags
2km, farah, map, usmc, wip