project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding > Community Maps
21 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
Community Maps Maps created by PR community members.

View Poll Results: What would you prefer?
Smaller, more detailed urban map 47 58.75%
Larger, less detailed urban map 33 41.25%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2015-07-01, 23:06   #21
[R-DEV]​Mr.VdHeide
PR:BF2 Developer

Default Re: [Map] Hue City (2km) [Concept/WIP]

I like the 2km map a lot.

Something I like about that map is that there is only one bridge as far as I can see and therefore it would have a big tactical value.. if you do not control that bridge as US team, your tank or logistic truck will not be able to cross the river. Right now it seems to me that the bridge would be pretty easy for the Americans to rush, but maybe you could put the US main base more towards the south? It could be a pretty nice alternative layer In my opinion if you make it easier for the NVA to reach the bridge and give the US some extra fire power to compensate for that. Though some M113's and INF could still swim cross the river, without control of the bridge, the US team would just not be able to make FOBs in the Norht-Western part of the city and therefore be unable to further attack the city.

Though I have never build a map I think it could be a nice idea, what is your opinion?

Dj.

Mr.VdHeide is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-01, 23:06   #22
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

cool but I think your still thinking a little bit on the small scale side IMO.

One much easier way to encompass and represent the entire battle pretty well, and to save a lot of your work is to simply reduce the scale of the city. If you go with a 1:2 scale, where every 1m ingame represents 2m in r/l and every 1km represents 2kms in r/l, then you only need 1/4 as many buildings to represent the same area

As such, I would recommend you represent 4kms of the real City in a 2km map, which will also result in a better gameplay flow all round

Next thing I would recommend is you rotate the city to be on the grid of the map, which will make it far easier to place statics, especially walls etc that you can snap together on the grid, and also make the straight canals with just terrain since then you won't have jiggered edges of manipulating the terrain grid and also have reduced terrain warping on them, as well as being able to use the terrain with statics a lot more easily

As such this is what I'm thinking, note this is still a 2km by 2km map ingame, just representing a 4km by 4km area in r/l:

Flags etc are very much subject to change and are only a basic representation of the main AAS layer but here is what I'm thinking.

Pretty much every single flag can only be captured by Team 2 (USMC), if not every single flag and the USMC start off with only their "MACV" Compound in the South, and have to advance west from their, flag by flag until they have captured all the Southern, "New City" Flags ending with the Government Building.

Once the Gov Building has been captured, boats will spawn on the river east of the MACV Compound (even thou in r/l the LCU Ramp was north, I would recommend west so their spawn is more protected from incoming fire) and they will have to make their way up to the ARVN Compound, which is a neutral flag that the NVA can't capture, and capture it, which when captured will give them a spawn point and assets spawning there, which they can then assault the Old City from directly.

Then its a matter of moving onto Zone A and capturing it, then moving onto Zone B, C and D together and providing they can't be recaptured shouldn't make too much of a stale mate (could have Zone A be re-capable however while they still have all Zone B, C and D). Zone D can also be assaulted from their Boats by the SW

Once they have all of Zone B, C and D, they can finally storm the Imperial Palace and crush the NVA, as per r/l

It may also be worth having the main bridge (and possibly other bridges too) intact at the start of the round and making it a secondary objective for the NVA to blow them, like they did in real life, which then seriously cuts off the USMC from being able to assault the old City from the south but if the USMC manages to hold it, could give them an option they didn't have in r/l

Anyways just a basic plan I quickly whipped up, here is the .psd if you wish to make any edits off of it but IMO, this would be the best plan and gives you the most options for other layers too
http://realitymodfiles.com/rhino/levels/Hue.psd

Rhino is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-02, 17:52   #23
MikeDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.VdHeide View Post
Something I like about that map is that there is only one bridge as far as I can see and therefore it would have a big tactical value...
This has been done/tried before in PR It's very tricky.

I prefer the 2km map as well. 1km is just gonna be a cluster fuck like any 1km map currently.
MikeDude is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-02, 20:59   #24
tankninja1

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
cool but I think your still thinking a little bit on the small scale side IMO.

As such, I would recommend you represent 4kms of the real City in a 2km map, which will also result in a better gameplay flow all round

I like that a lot its what I was going for in my image but I don't have PS and Paint is difficult. Though I think I will clean up the New City zone to just have a singular battle zone. As for the bit about ARVN compound is that really possible?
tankninja1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-02, 21:41   #25
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankninja1 View Post
I like that a lot its what I was going for in my image but I don't have PS and Paint is difficult. Though I think I will clean up the New City zone to just have a singular battle zone. As for the bit about ARVN compound is that really possible?
cool, and probably worth getting PS since its really needed for many elements of mid to advanced areas of mapping, even for some basic things like doing minimaps.

And ye, the bit about the ARVN compound should be possible, also forgot to mention that you would want a dome of death around it to simulate the South Vietnamese forces holding out there so the NVA can't just sit inside it waiting for the Boats to turn up
But still want them to be able to get up close and around it to make it somewhat hard to secure

Old 2015-07-03, 00:05   #26
tankninja1

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Rhino View Post
cool, and probably worth getting PS since its really needed for many elements of mid to advanced areas of mapping, even for some basic things like doing minimaps.
Well I have access to it just not here at my home computer.

Off topic but, how do you get the image shack stuff to display? Looking back for refreshers and image shack is being annoying.
tankninja1 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-07-03, 00:16   #27
Rhino
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankninja1 View Post
Off topic but, how do you get the image shack stuff to display? Looking back for refreshers and image shack is being annoying.
ImageShack sucks since they remove pictures off their servers after a few years, which is why many of the old tutorials no longer has pics

We now don't use ImgShack as a result and for things like Tutorials I put all the pictures on our FTP servers and have them backed up locally as well just encase but old tutorial pics are now lost forever

Old 2015-07-21, 12:08   #28
Brodzik1337

Damn cool, but it'll probably take a while to build! xd
Brodzik1337 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-09-09, 22:42   #29
HaramKebab

Quote:
Originally Posted by '[R-DEV
tutorial pics are now lost forever
Yeah it's a shame. You did such a great job! i've found tons of tutorials made by you and Imageshack destroyed all the efford you put into them. Thank god you're explanation were detailed enough to still figure out what we're supposed to to. You are a true tutorial wizzard.
HaramKebab is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2015-12-03, 02:11   #30
FlyingR

So how is this going? What if all the flags are already in control of NVA at the start and BluFor must capture and push rather than having all the flags neutral at first?
FlyingR is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
2km, city, concept, concept or wip, hue, map, wip