project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Suggestions
22 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Suggestions Suggestions from our community members for PR:BF2. Read the stickies before posting.

Old 2008-08-20, 02:25   #21
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Default Re: NATO HAT and insurgents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre_tooth_tigger View Post
Sounds reasonable, the proper javelin needs like 15 mins in the desert to cool itself down before use Ive heard
why would someone cool down the javelin before using it? its not a fixed barrel that needs to cool like a machine gun, and the jet blast may be hot but it's so sudden it wouldnt heat up the tube to begin with. even if there was a theoretical situation where it would heat up, the tube is a one use thing, fire the shot, drop the tube, and reload the next one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by google View Post
Well gee, I dont know, maybe because it's Project REALITY
in my last post i mentioned most heavy weapons these days include stenciled on instructions, this includes pictures from time to time (i know, it's insane). anyways in reality if your enemy was to pick up your heavy weapon, read the instructions, why would he/she not be able to fire said weapon? these things are made idiot proof, anyone who passed the 5th grade by luck could figure out how to fire them.
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 02:28   #22
Expendable Grunt

Nedlands has said that certain ammo sources can be used to reload only certain weapons. Why the devs don't use this is beyond me.
Expendable Grunt is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 02:30   #23
Tirak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerof_D View Post
why would someone cool down the javelin before using it? its not a fixed barrel that needs to cool like a machine gun, and the jet blast may be hot but it's so sudden it wouldnt heat up the tube to begin with. even if there was a theoretical situation where it would heat up, the tube is a one use thing, fire the shot, drop the tube, and reload the next one.
I do believe the cooldown is required in hot enviornments due the the Javelins targeting system, it detects infrared and if the system is already hot, it can't see anything.
Tirak is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 02:33   #24
Bringerof_D
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirak View Post
I do believe the cooldown is required in hot enviornments due the the Javelins targeting system, it detects infrared and if the system is already hot, it can't see anything.
oh the targeting system...ithought u guys meant the barrel/loading tube. still i dont see how a target on the camera can effect how it sees once you turn it away
Bringerof_D is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 02:43   #25
Tirak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringerof_D View Post
oh the targeting system...ithought u guys meant the barrel/loading tube. still i dont see how a target on the camera can effect how it sees once you turn it away
??? Not entirly sure what you mean by the second part.

The Javelin targets enemy vehicles (or in some cases people) by the heat generated by them, however in hot enviornments the thermal imaging systems raise in temperature to a level equal to or above that of the target and indeed, the background heat. When this happens, the thermal imagers show nothing except a wall of heat. The unit must be cooled until it reaches a temperature below that of the target and of background heat sources, this only needs to be done once however before using the system. Once the system has been cooled, it will remain cooled until it is switched off and the cooling unit is powered down. It will then raise in temperature until it can no longer distinguish targets and background heat from its own temperature and will need to be cooled again.

However it can be said reasonably that such action would have been taken before commencement of hostilities between the two armies and as such, an added reload time would be both unrealistic and needlessly annoying.
Tirak is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 10:36   #26
AnRK
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expendable Grunt View Post
Nedlands has said that certain ammo sources can be used to reload only certain weapons. Why the devs don't use this is beyond me.
I thought it was a really simple system? Like there are two "types" of ammo that can be assigned, and all weapons have to be in one of the two categories.
AnRK is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 10:42   #27
Sabre_tooth_tigger

Vehicle and infantry ammo types afaik. I guess rate of supply can vary because I certainly notice a difference between various sources, ammo bag being very fast especially more then one

bf1942 had different ammo types but bf2 doesnt, hopefully bf3 is not going to continue the trend of simplification of the engine :/

I didnt realise Javelin could track infantry but maybe this only works at night or when its cool
Last edited by Sabre_tooth_tigger; 2008-08-20 at 10:50..
Old 2008-08-20, 13:49   #28
isooth

On a side note, javelins are not at all uncommonly used as anti building ordnance.
isooth is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-20, 14:28   #29
Spaz
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by isooth View Post
On a side note, javelins are not at all uncommonly used as anti building ordnance.
This is the reason why I use LAT on al basrah.

Spaz is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-21, 09:34   #30
justman2005

ive heard that the stinger HAT system is one of the easiest most userfriendly HAT systems in the world. anyways if soemone is stupid enough to request a HAT kit on basrah and then somehow manage to lose it to an insurgent then they deserve to get pumped a few times by there own AT rockets. all i can assume a brit on basrah would be doing with a HAT kit is sniping with it and thats laamee.
justman2005 is offline Reply With Quote

Tags
hat, insurgents, nato