project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Community Modding
17 Sep 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR:BF2 Community Modding Making or wanting help making your own asset? Check in here

Old 2008-08-08, 16:16   #21
A_Grounded_Pilot
Default Re: [Vehicle] MTVR [WIP]

Just google image search MTVR. There's tons of shots. I poked around on Oshkosh's site (the manufacturer), and while they build some killer equipment, their marketing photography leaves something to be desired.

At the risk of moving slightly off topic: this is a picture of Oshkosh's 2005 entry into DARPA's Grand Challenge, a competition designed to foster the development of autonomous vehicles. The 2005 TerraMax, built on the 6x6 MTVR, primarily used LIDAR to avoid obstacles ahead. Unfortunately, LIDAR doesn't work so well for detecting shiny or dark objects. Here you see what happens when a 425hp, 29,000lb self-guided monstrosity can't see the somewhat shiny, black minivan stopped in front of it.

A_Grounded_Pilot is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 20:59   #22
Tofurkeymeister

Nice. In other, non-automated-car news, I've been working on the wheels.

Tofurkeymeister is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 21:18   #23
ice_killer

tose look realy high poly, what is the triangle count so far ? and can i see a wire frame ?
ice_killer is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-08, 21:45   #24
Tofurkeymeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-CON]ice_killer View Post
tose look realy high poly, what is the triangle count so far ? and can i see a wire frame ?
Yeah, I imported from Inventor on "high" for vizulation. The following pic is imported on "Low".

Poly/Tri Count=7,685

Granted this is before Optimization, and I'm still undecided on some featured. The mirrors need work, as they are poly hogs. In addition, I can import with higher quality if I want.

Model wise, how do you like it?

Added: 5,000 something polys when I edit the mirrors :P (Read: I need to optimize it)
Last edited by Tofurkeymeister; 2008-08-08 at 23:57.. Reason: Added Info
Old 2008-08-08, 22:15   #25
MAINERROR
Retired PR Developer
Supporting Member

Model wise its awesome. It looks very nice.

I'm not a modeler but maybe you can save some polys on the exhaust pipe and on the mounting of the side-mirrors.

Don't think that the have to be like that you can simply make them like the USI truck.
MAINERROR is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 19:43   #26
motherdear
Retired PR Developer

seems like the hood, wheels and the chassis has some real problems in regards to unnecesary polygons (just my opinion)

also the wheels look awesome but i think you should save some of the polygons from the 3 small half rings on each wheel and just have them textured instead, and then decrease the rounding of the wheels (should save a lot of polygons) but seriously you should learn to use
3dsmax better after my opinion (just to avoid having to doing the big clean up job afterwards)

have only tried to model one model myself and it's still in the works, but from my experiences from it i think these were the biggest issues. but only talking from my own point of view and we all got different ways to model (which makes every model unique tbh)
motherdear is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-09, 20:07   #27
Tofurkeymeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by motherdear View Post
seems like the hood, wheels and the chassis has some real problems in regards to unnecesary polygons (just my opinion)

also the wheels look awesome but i think you should save some of the polygons from the 3 small half rings on each wheel and just have them textured instead, and then decrease the rounding of the wheels (should save a lot of polygons) but seriously you should learn to use
3dsmax better after my opinion (just to avoid having to doing the big clean up job afterwards)

have only tried to model one model myself and it's still in the works, but from my experiences from it i think these were the biggest issues. but only talking from my own point of view and we all got different ways to model (which makes every model unique tbh)
I don't want to learn 3DS Max, as I am already very familiar with Inventor, and it imports fine. Plus, I am not a modeler for life.

In regards to polygons, I want to keep the undercarriage as the truck is high off the ground, and as such it must look decent under the back as well. In regards to the wheels, good call. The hood, its nice in round in real life.

As said before I am using a CAD program and them import into 3DS Max. It isn't the best use, but hey! Its not how you do it but the end result that counts. Plus I still need to do poly optimization.

Thanks for your comments.
Old 2008-08-09, 20:12   #28
Tofurkeymeister

BTW, I need a texture artist: https://www.realitymod.com/forum/f66...st-needed.html

Anyone up to it?
Old 2008-08-10, 02:21   #29
EOD_Security-2252

It looks good, but I'm kind of worried about some jagged edges on the hood's back and side, but that could be because you down-sized the picture. No matter, good job.
EOD_Security-2252 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 02:54   #30
Tofurkeymeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD_Security-2252 View Post
It looks good, but I'm kind of worried about some jagged edges on the hood's back and side, but that could be because you down-sized the picture. No matter, good job.
Thanks. I still need to poly-optimize and add more detail :P

Tags
mtvr, transport, truck, vehicle, wip