project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > Project Reality Support > PR Tech Archives
19 Oct 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links
PR Tech Archives Archived threads - locked for searching

Old 2009-04-16, 22:13   #21
McBumLuv
Default Re: Tips on building computers (what to look for, how they work together)

Hmmm, what are the advantages of a core i7 CPU? The one I'm looking at (the 920) doesn't seem much more expensive than most other CPUs, though are there any performance problems/heating problems I should be aware of, or plan for? Likewise, is there any difference in performance between the different DDR types?
Old 2009-04-17, 14:43   #22
MonkeySoldier
Default Re: Tips on building computers (what to look for, how they work together)

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuv View Post
Hmmm, what are the advantages of a core i7 CPU?
Well, AFAIK the core i7 is the fastest CPU available. Point is, they're pretty expensive. Same thing for the mobo's and the DDR3 RAM.

Quote:
The one I'm looking at (the 920) doesn't seem much more expensive than most other CPUs, though are there any performance problems/heating problems I should be aware of, or plan for? Likewise, is there any difference in performance between the different DDR types?
There's not much difference between DDR2 and DDR3 performance wise. (source, source) But you don't got much of a choice when you want a Core i7 platform, only DDR3 will work.
Old 2009-04-17, 20:27   #23
McBumLuv

Ok, I think I'll stay with the Core i7 then. I've seen a few people say that they overheat easily. Is that something I should be looking out for if I don't intend on any OCing?
Old 2009-04-17, 21:45   #24
MonkeySoldier

Quote:
Ok, I think I'll stay with the Core i7 then. I've seen a few people say that they overheat easily. Is that something I should be looking out for if I don't intend on any OCing?
You can always get a good aftermarket cooler. They're usually more silent and cool better.
Old 2009-06-17, 02:09   #25
McBumLuv

BUMP

Thinking of going in a different direction now, as I see no need for the Core i7 and it's extra costs.
What I have so far is such:

WD 640 Gb HDD Newegg.ca - Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives
Sapphire Radeaon HD 4870 1 gig Graphics card Newegg.ca - SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
Intel Core Duo E8400 3.0 Ghz Newegg.ca - Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops
Asus 23 inch 1920x1080 LCD Monitor Newegg.ca - ASUS VH236H Black 23" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 20000 :1 (ASCR) Built in Speakers - LCD Monitors
Lian Li Lancool PC Case Newegg.ca - LIAN LI Lancool PC-K7B Black Aluminum/ SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Computer Cases
Sony Optiarc 18x DVD Reader Newegg.ca - Sony Optiarc Black 18X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM IDE DVD-ROM Drive Model DDU1678A - CD / DVD Drives

Still deciding on Mobo and RAM (I want 6 gigs), as well as a power supply. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 2009-06-17, 11:22   #26
MonkeySoldier

What games do you usually play most? Since the AMD X3 720 could be a good option, depending on the games you play. The Unreal Engine III makes better use of more cores (thus the X3 720 will outperform the E8400), but on games like Crysis and WiC the E8400 performs better. source
Edit: As for a PSU; the Corsair 550-VX 550W is a good PSU.
Last edited by MonkeySoldier; 2009-06-17 at 11:31..
Old 2009-06-17, 23:15   #27
McBumLuv

I'm actually hoping to start playing games such as ETW, Arma2, and DCS Black Shark.

Should I even bother getting 6 gigs of ram, or would 4 be enough (I can always get more later)? Is the Chip I'm going for the best choice, and what mobo and ram would go well with it?

Thanks for the thing on the PSU though
Old 2009-06-18, 16:49   #28
McBumLuv

Ok, looked at a few Mobos and Ram, and I think I've found what I want.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Motherboard Newegg.ca - GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards
G.Skill 4 gb DDR2 1066 Newegg.ca - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Desktop Memory

Looks fine?

Also, I want to know, what should I be doing for sound? Remember that this is my first custom build so I'm completely nub and have no idea what a sound card is / where it goes

Aside from that, I think I've got it all mapped out, (aside from peripherals), if I include the Corsair PSU. Right?

Right now, the current total looks to be around 1,200.00$ roughly.
Old 2009-06-19, 02:10   #29
Tofurkeymeister

Antec 300 case, I have seen it in person. Functional, but "OK" looking. However, it gets the job done, and the competition is not much better.

You could always go with a Phenom II 940 or Phenom II 720 if you want some affordable AMD quad/tri core (respectfully) action going on. These processors are competitive with Intel quad cores. However, games usually only utilize two cores well, so the only benefit of quad core CPU's is only shown certain games and applications.

The E8400 should be fine, though, that thing is a BEAST, and can overclock very high, as well.
Old 2009-06-27, 02:15   #30
McBumLuv

Ok, so I've been talking to Robbi, and I've got my final list up on the main page. With the Cooler, I should be able to OC it easily to at least a 4Ghz, and 640 Gb is enough for me in my HDD.

I'm looking to play Games like Arma 2 and DCS black Shark, which are both very processor reliant, so it should be fine. I think I'll just stick to my current copy of XP 32, rather than spend any money on Vista, and wait on Windows 7. I should have this thingby the end of the month, and I'll tell you how it works and such.

Tags
building, computers, tips, work