project reality header
Go Back   Project Reality Forums > PR:BF2 Mod Forums > PR:BF2 Tales from the Front > PR In-Game Tactics and Strategies > Infantry Tactics
23 Aug 2024, 00:00:00 (PRT)
Register Developer Blogs Members List Search Quick Links

Old 2011-04-10, 10:25   #21
Arc_Shielder
Retired PR Developer

Default Re: Suppressive Fire as of .95, does it work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Drav View Post
Absolute rubbish L4gi, thats just the way you play, which happens to work for you! Ofc defence can be totally impenetrable, to say that endless charging is the way forward is just not true, Ive seen waves and waves of squads die in front of a decent defence, you just have to actually do it!!
I agree, that's exactly the feeling I had of L4gi's post. But wasn't he exemplifying a case where you're alone though? If it's the latter then I fully agree with him...
But collectively, as a squad, if they cover every possible angle then there's no match. Defensive squads usually take the upper hand in PR.
Arc_Shielder is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-10, 04:45   #22
Wo0Do0

Quote:
Originally Posted by [R-DEV]Drav View Post
Absolute rubbish L4gi, thats just the way you play, which happens to work for you! Ofc defence can be totally impenetrable, to say that endless charging is the way forward is just not true, Ive seen waves and waves of squads die in front of a decent defence, you just have to actually do it!!
believe it or not, if you play infantry with more of a COD mentality, you're going to end up with more kills and less deaths. (Medic is there for a reason xD) This is with teamwork and strategy already in place. Sometimes it just comes down to who can take out the other guy faster.

Alot of PR players nowadays are too defensive, they stop firing and start panicking, finding cover is #1, but also finding ways to re-assault is also key.

This does not mean rushing mindlessly into enemy lines, this is finding flanks and blast them when they don't see you. You can have a squad firing into another squad, both situated in houses with cover, for quite sometime, or you can get 1 or 2 guys to sneak and throw couple grenades and finish the fight. One person can take out 2 full squads in an alleyway with the right mentality, believe me it's possible :P

IMO deviation system works only if your target hasn't spotted you yet. period.
Wo0Do0 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-11, 20:07   #23
Cavazos

I can agree with that.
Cavazos is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-13, 06:15   #24
Dev1200

Suppressive fire works like a flashbang. If someone is still aiming at you, use it. If someone has already aimed at you and is firing, it doesn't work.
Dev1200 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-24, 16:07   #25
Brainlaag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev1200 View Post
Suppressive fire works like a flashbang. If someone is still aiming at you, use it. If someone has already aimed at you and is firing, it doesn't work.
Thats the problem.

To promote suppressive fire and actually gain an advantage out of it, you probably have to implement some slightly deviation when getting suppressed (if possible ofc). I think I've posted this already but anyway. Simply to make sure you cannot just crouch while having the enemy still pinpointed and then stand up and shoot him straight in the face, while having a whole squad shooting at you.
Brainlaag is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 03:52   #26
Mantooth

I dont know about you veterans, but as a new guy, I can assure you that suppressive fire does indeed work, at least on those who are less experienced. Whenever I take incoming rounds, I immediately dive for cover. Depending on the amount of incoming, sometimes I become combat ineffective. I cant manage to get a shot off. All I can do is keep my head down. That is the goal of suppressive fire after all, so I would argue that it does work.
Mantooth is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 09:44   #27
dtacs
Supporting Member

It works for you because you are romanticizing the concept by diving or hiding when being shot at.

There is nothing stopping you from popping up and firing at at a stationary target whilst under the suppression effect. I've sadly found that it does little to stop others firing unless the weapon in question has a huge ROF, such as a tank's coaxial.
dtacs is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-22, 20:11   #28
Mantooth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtacs View Post
It works for you because you are romanticizing the concept by diving or hiding when being shot at.
Romanticizing? I'd beg to differ on that analysis of what I said. When I am getting shot at, i do my best to get behind cover, and depending on the volume of fire, or the size of the caliber, I usually tend to keep my head down before poking my head around corners looking to get it shot off.
Old 2011-07-23, 08:44   #29
cyberzomby

Thats what you do. But thats not romanticising. Romanticising is why you do it. You do it because you think you need to. Thats what Dtacs is saying.

I do it 2. Because I know that if I will stand up theres a high chance I will get shot and get the bleed effect. It will make me more ineffective when shooting back. But thats just how I like to play.
cyberzomby is offline Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-23, 21:55   #30
Mantooth

So what your saying, is that once a firefight breaks out, the need for cover is negligible unless that's your style of play? I'm a little confused. How is the use of cover when receiving incoming not important?
I think the suppression effect is a life saver. Yesterday i was playing a game on Kashan Desert on the US side. I spawned at a firebase at North Bunker and moved south through the bunker complex to regroup with my squad. I met up with 2 people not from my squad who were moving in the same direction. As we got closer to South Bunker, we found the area to be crawling with MEC soldiers. Me and my new battle buddy ducked down in a ditch and engaged those soldiers closest to us. Soon, we had elements of squads bearing down on us. After my buddy was killed, I managed to fall back to the north using a combination of "shoot to keep their heads down" and "sprint to next cover point."
I can gladly report that it worked. By firing close to the enemies positions, I managed to single handedly keep their heads down and fall back. The use of a few frag grenades also aided in my escape. While i didn't score any kills with them, the explosions going off just to their front was more than enough to cause them to go to ground.

So I ask again, after my experience, how is the need for cover a romanticized concept? It seems pretty essential for survival to me.

Tags
fire, suppressive, work